[SOLVED] CSO - Safe Shutdown not working

dryja123

[SOLVED] CSO - Safe Shutdown not working

Post by dryja123 » Sat May 12, 2018 5:24 pm

I created an issue on the git but wanted to create a topic here as well. As the title states, safe shutdown isn't working; I flick the power switch and it just turns off.

Edit: I think it may be an issue with the function button. Randomly, the button will act as if it's pressed and while I'm in a game I find the screen start to dim and the volume turn up and down. I did put kapton tape on the USB C charger but I'll have to pull it apart and inspect the button. I'll post my findings.

Edit 2: Opened the case and added a lot more kapton tape. It seems to be working now so I'll keep an eye on it and post back if I feel it's solved.

sygyzy

Re: CSO - Safe Shutdown not working

Post by sygyzy » Sun May 13, 2018 10:47 pm

It's really important to both isolate the function button, so it doesn't short on the USB C port, as well as make sure it didn't somehow get "stuck" in the on position when you solder it in. The system will exhibit all sorts of issues, like the safe shutdown problem you are describing, if the function button is not working properly.

dryja123

Post by dryja123 » Mon May 14, 2018 5:17 pm

sygyzy wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 10:47 pm
It's really important to both isolate the function button, so it doesn't short on the USB C port, as well as make sure it didn't somehow get "stuck" in the on position when you solder it in. The system will exhibit all sorts of issues, like the safe shutdown problem you are describing, if the function button is not working properly.
I had used a fair ammount of kapton tape and taped up the USB C port after the first time I closed the case without it and had issues. I think there's some unnecessary pressure on the button because I didn't get it perfectly aligned in the hole when I soldered up the new button. I isolated it to the button when I turned it on and noticed that the screen brightness was changing when I wanted to scroll through the menus to pick a game.

Very important call out and thanks for the tip!

kite

Post by kite » Tue May 15, 2018 2:54 am

Good stuff, FYI for the next batch about the ship soon the button is the correct size, and unsoldered so you can align it much better :)
Stock clearance - CLOSED: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=12064
Kite's Mailing List: https://goo.gl/forms/e97uUvPOfUxPWdz82
Kite's FAQ: https://kiteretro.com/faq/

ImageImageImageImageImage

dryja123

Re: [SOLVED] CSO - Safe Shutdown not working

Post by dryja123 » Wed May 16, 2018 12:08 pm

Turned out that an over tightened case screw was causing the button to stick. Loosened it and it resolved the button / shutdown issues.

sygyzy

Post by sygyzy » Wed May 16, 2018 3:03 pm

kite wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 2:54 am
Good stuff, FYI for the next batch about the ship soon the button is the correct size, and unsoldered so you can align it much better :)
Someone should create a simple 3d printed shim because I have to admit it wasn't easy to desolder the old switch then try to perfectly finagle the new one in there and sort of holding it in the exact spot while tacking solder on one leg to hold it. I mean it's not incredibly difficult and I got it to work but my switch is definitely off centered in my case hole. Luckily it doesn't bind or anything.

dryja123

Post by dryja123 » Wed May 16, 2018 4:02 pm

sygyzy wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 3:03 pm

Someone should create a simple 3d printed shim because I have to admit it wasn't easy to desolder the old switch then try to perfectly finagle the new one in there and sort of holding it in the exact spot while tacking solder on one leg to hold it.
The only issue with that you'll run the risk of melting the shim when you solder the button. Heat will travel down the legs of the button and things will start to melt and get gooey.

sygyzy

Re: [SOLVED] CSO - Safe Shutdown not working

Post by sygyzy » Wed May 16, 2018 10:47 pm

Good point Cory! If I ever build another CSO, maybe I'll make a shim out of aluminum foil. That should be easier to slide out too. But now you're going to tell me it's going to wick away too much heat from the iron!