Having Wifi issues? Read this first

sygyzy

Having Wifi issues? Read this first

Post by sygyzy » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:34 pm

I have gone through two CSO boards and at least a dozen hours of troubleshooting including checking through logs, trying to install different drivers, modifying and tweaking interfaces, trying static IP's instead of DHCP etc and never had luck. I also haven't been able to really use usb wifi dongles consistently (another topic). I also didn't have any luck using a usb keyboard to enter the password in retropie wifi setup. There are a few reasons for this but even after I updated my locale and keyboard settings to match en_US.UTF, it wouldn't work.

The way I finally got wifi on my CSO is by using a correct wpa_supplicant.conf file. Up until this weekend, I always used the same file for all my Pi systems. However, because of the switch to the Pi Stretch Image, the configuration needs to change. Now that I use this, I get 100% wifi connection every single time.

Code: Select all

country=US
ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
update_config=1

network={
    ssid="My Cool Network"
    psk="my9a$$w0rd"
    key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
}
The important part is above the network section. Of course you should update your country to match. Edit this file and save it. Then put it in your /boot folder then startup.

I hope this helps.