Finishing up my first Circuit Sword Build - few questions (quality shell/buttons, 640x480 display, locking up)

eyefire

Finishing up my first Circuit Sword Build - few questions (quality shell/buttons, 640x480 display, locking up)

Post by eyefire » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:49 pm

Hi everyone,

I just finished up my first GBZ build. Everything is going well, but I do have a few questions.

I went the circuit sword route, which made for an incredibly clean system.

Shell - I grabbed a cheap shell from HandHeldLegend.com and buttons from there as well. I know they offer a higher quality shell in grey, I am wondering if anyone has found a higher quality shell in black?

Buttons - I would like to replace the buttons with something that has a concave option, whats the best place to purchase these? I picked up a couple different sets and found the quality to vary greatly.

640x480 - after looking at the process I decided to go with the 320x240 display, but I have the 640x480 and would kind of like to install it. The installation process looks a little tricky, am I being overly sensitive? Should I just go for it? Worst that would happen is I trash a screen that is just going to sit in my closed otherwise, and maybe a $10 shell right? Does battery / performance take a hit with the 640x480?

Two issues - When I leave it on while transferring files over the UI locks up on me. it will wake up from sleep moved, but none of the buttons work, and power off does not work. I can SSH into it fine, and reboot from there, so it is running.

second issue, and the s one is more minor, but I get a constant error message: lvl0: VolumeControl::init() - Failed to find mixer elements. I am using the volume POT backboard, which seems to work as intended (slightly delayed response to audio changes, but works). Audio works in all emulators, so not sure where this error is coming from.

Thanks everyone.

Italian77

Re: Finishing up my first Circuit Sword Build - few questions (quality shell/buttons, 640x480 display, locking up)

Post by Italian77 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:13 pm

As far as your questions about higher quality shell and concave buttons. Check out www.retromodding.com in the US or https://www.deadpanrobot.co.uk/ if you are in the UK. They both are good options..

As far as the other questions go I think someone else could help better than I could.
My first Circuit Sword build - Custom Painted
https://sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=5855

eyefire

Re: Finishing up my first Circuit Sword Build - few questions (quality shell/buttons, 640x480 display, locking up)

Post by eyefire » Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:34 am

Thanks for the info. It seems very stable unless I am transferring a large number of files, so I am not too worried.

Thanks for making such a great board, I really enjoyed building it. I will post pictures once it is done.