Cannot scan or connect to wifi

TechnoMario

Re: Cannot scan or connect to wifi

Post by TechnoMario » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:16 pm

I have tried both of your recommendation (short of leaving it with WiFI disabled and powered off for several days)... same results as always. When I select the option to 'connect to wifi network' all I see is a blank line and the 'hidden essid' option. I don't have a picture of it, but I tried this with the GameBoy sitting right on top of my phone while using the hotspot, as well as held it right on top of my Ubiquiti AP.

Kite, I e-mailed you the new set of logs as requested, as well as a video of me going through the process to try to connect. Maybe I'm just being really stupid and missing something.

Surgical_Precision

Post by Surgical_Precision » Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:09 pm

I'm having the same issue after installing some joysticks (which sucks since I need SSH to configure the sticks). I've tried turning WiFi off, rebooting, and then turning it on, but that doesn't make a difference. If it's any help, going into raspi-config and trying to set the wifi country and going to the command line and running wpa_cli both yield the error: "Could not connect to wpa_supplicant". I know I've had it working in the past because I used Samba to copy games over.

Another weird thing: I tried writing a wpa_supplicant.conf file in /boot by reading the sd-card on a Windows machine, and that seemed to go fine (writing the file, not using it to connect to wifi), but when I looked at /boot on the Pi (and later back on the Windows machine) the file was gone. This might be due to a bad card reader, but maybe it's a clue? I also read somewhere that wpa_supplicant makes files in /var/ and /var/run/, but I didn't see anything there either.

So if anyone has figured it out I'm all ears.

kite

Post by kite » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:15 am

Surgical_Precision wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:09 pm
I'm having the same issue after installing some joysticks (which sucks since I need SSH to configure the sticks). I've tried turning WiFi off, rebooting, and then turning it on, but that doesn't make a difference. If it's any help, going into raspi-config and trying to set the wifi country and going to the command line and running wpa_cli both yield the error: "Could not connect to wpa_supplicant". I know I've had it working in the past because I used Samba to copy files over.

Another weird thing: I tried writing a wpa_supplicant.conf file in /boot by reading the sd-card on a Windows machine, and that seemed to go fine (writing the file, not using it to connect to wifi), but when I looked at /boot on the Pi (and later back on the Windows machine) the file was gone. This might be due to a bad card reader, but maybe it's a clue? I also read somewhere that wpa_supplicant makes files in /var/ and /var/run/, but I didn't see anything there either.

So if anyone has figured it out I'm all ears.
If you remove the joysticks from the connectors, does that magically make wifi work?
Stock clearance - CLOSED: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=12064
Kite's Mailing List: https://goo.gl/forms/e97uUvPOfUxPWdz82
Kite's FAQ: https://kiteretro.com/faq/

ImageImageImageImageImage

Surgical_Precision

Post by Surgical_Precision » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:59 pm

... yes. Should that make me laugh or cry? :lol:

I logged in through SSH. I had to load a wpa_supplicant.conf onto the SD manually though. It showed available networks but it couldn't connect after entering the password. I guess that's because of the country code?

While I was in there I ran the circuit sword update script. Seemed to mostly go fine but at the end it said "Starting OSD... Failed to start cs-osd.service: Unit cs-osd.service not found". Should I be concerned about that? I didn't enable the sticks, because I can't calibrate them if they're not plugged in :) .

I didn't update Raspbian or Retropie Linux or RetroArch. Should I?

Most importantly: what should I do about the joysticks now?

kite

Post by kite » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:57 am

It's really weird, I had one other customer last week return a board for literally the same thing.. I can't actually put my finger on why it is happening.. Although when it did 'stop working' it would always need a full power off and cool down period to work again. I ended up replacing his board, so I'm going to suggest the same thing to you! Could you email me and I'll let you know a return address and i'll pay for the postage cost because i'm 99% sure it's some kind of hardware problem rather than anything configuration wise! The other guy replacement board fixed the issue 100%, so hopefully same happens here :)
Stock clearance - CLOSED: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=12064
Kite's Mailing List: https://goo.gl/forms/e97uUvPOfUxPWdz82
Kite's FAQ: https://kiteretro.com/faq/

ImageImageImageImageImage

Surgical_Precision

Post by Surgical_Precision » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:08 am

Ah that's a real bummer man, the board has been great so far otherwise! I'll send you the email.