[Circuit Sword ] WiFi issue

jermzz

[Circuit Sword ] WiFi issue

Post by jermzz » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:58 pm

Having an issue where the wifi only works sometimes in certain situations.

If gameboy is powered on with wifi enabled, wifi will not work. No wlan0 iface at all. Every time. And i can not bring it up. It's as if there's no wireless card.

If i boot the gameboy with wifi OFF, and then enable it with hotkey combo, there's a 50% chance the wifi will work. If it doesn't, its the same issue. No wlan0 iface. If it does, it will work perfectly for the duration of that session.

Anyone else have this issue and can help make the wifi more reliable?

kite

Re: [Circuit Sword ] WiFi issue

Post by kite » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:59 am

What version of the image are you using? Or how old was it installed/updated? Do you recall if when it asked you to enter a 'wifi country' did you set it? And if so which country to?
Stock clearance - CLOSED: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=12064
Kite's Mailing List: https://goo.gl/forms/e97uUvPOfUxPWdz82
Kite's FAQ: https://kiteretro.com/faq/

ImageImageImageImageImage

jermzz

Post by jermzz » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:32 am

kite wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:59 am
What version of the image are you using? Or how old was it installed/updated? Do you recall if when it asked you to enter a 'wifi country' did you set it? And if so which country to?
I have two versions. The first is an old image before stretch. That was the original one I tried, I build a lot of CSO for many people and always have used the same image. This is when I realized the problem with the wifi to begin with. I did some research and saw some fixes to the wpa supplicant, so I tried those with no avail.

After that, I downloaded a fresh image from your wiki and burned it. But the problem persisted.

It did keep telling me that I had no wifi region set. I went into localization and set it to my country USA. That didn't work either.

I now get sometimes 2 or 3 reboots in a row where wifi works regardless, but it eventually goes back to the X.

kite

Post by kite » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:13 am

Ok thanks, quick question: I'm not chatting to you via email about this same issue right? Only asking because I'm talking to someone who has the exact same thing :) Assuming that I'm not, could you try the following:

You've built a few by the sounds of it so this likely isn't the cause but it's worth me asking anyway: does this exact behaviour still happen when 'not inside a case' and the halves of the board are apart from each other?

Could you remove the kapton tape from the module and have a poke at the larger components, are any cracked/loose/broken? If anything breaks it's usually the largest capacitor nearest to the FPC connector (although these wifi modules seem to change design each time i order them!).

From a fresh image to SD, before even trying to connect to wifi at all, does the same behaviour of "X" and "!" icons change through 2-3 reboots?

jermzz

Post by jermzz » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:18 pm

kite wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:13 am
Ok thanks, quick question: I'm not chatting to you via email about this same issue right? Only asking because I'm talking to someone who has the exact same thing :) Assuming that I'm not, could you try the following:

You've built a few by the sounds of it so this likely isn't the cause but it's worth me asking anyway: does this exact behaviour still happen when 'not inside a case' and the halves of the board are apart from each other?

Could you remove the kapton tape from the module and have a poke at the larger components, are any cracked/loose/broken? If anything breaks it's usually the largest capacitor nearest to the FPC connector (although these wifi modules seem to change design each time i order them!).

From a fresh image to SD, before even trying to connect to wifi at all, does the same behaviour of "X" and "!" icons change through 2-3 reboots?
First question: No, we are not talking in email. I would not waste your time twice. Lol.

Second question: I have had other boards that when closed had WiFi issues due to solder joints from the back board shorting the WiFi chip. (Sometimes even though kapton which is why you suggest multiple layers) But no, problem persists open or closed.

Question 3. Components look ok. I have attached an up close shot of the chip for you to see

Question 4. I did some tests. I have 2 SD cards imaged now. One is a fresh image untouched directly from your wiki.

The second is from the same download (downloaded 2 days ago) but I have my WiFi saved in it (Plus roms and other small changes.)

After burning the image fresh, I installed the SD card and booted the gameboy, after the first reboot from the partition resize, there was an immediate X, never saw the ! at any time. So I shut it down and rebooted it 4 more times. Each of the next 4 times, I got the X for 1 second and then it immediately changed to the ! (Meaning it’s ready to connect)

I pulled that SD card out and put in the other one that I have been working with prior. On first boot, only X. I rebooted 2 more times, and both times it auto connected to my saved WiFi credentials.

So then I put the other SD card back in, booted up, and again first boot resulted in an X immediately. Second boot, I got the !

It’s like every first boot gets the X. I have no idea what that means. I do know if I keep using the gameboy as normal eventually it will show X again on some random boot.
Attachments
60146E7A-02C2-49C7-8C7D-25FE84DADEA0.jpeg
60146E7A-02C2-49C7-8C7D-25FE84DADEA0.jpeg (1.74 MiB) Viewed 4957 times

kite

Post by kite » Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:39 am

Ok cool, I had the same conclusion with the person via email and the exact things happened (100% stock image without configuring wifi would switch between X and ! on reboots).

Could you please send me an email referencing this thread and include your full address and I will send you out a replacement main board. Once swapped over and confirmed working you can return the faulty board to me for debug (and I'll pay postage) so i can hopefully work out why it's doing this with both the boards that I'm expecting!