Success with SD Card Overclock?

kopas

Success with SD Card Overclock?

Post by kopas » Tue May 14, 2019 2:24 pm

I have both a 128GB Samsung Evo Select and 128GB SanDisk Extreme Pro. They work just fine with standard settings... but I wanted to overclock the Micro SD Card reader in my Circuit Sword to try and eek out some additional performance. So, I started fiddling with the following setting in my boot.config file:

Code: Select all

dtoverlay=sdtweak,overclock_50=100
Reading through available information, it looks like it needs to be an integer divisor of the core clock. Which means 80 and 100 are pretty much the only options. Neither of my cards could handle 100, but seem to work just fine at 80.

Anyone ever have success with 100 on higher capacity cards? Or any cards really?

Phiro13

Re: Success with SD Card Overclock?

Post by Phiro13 » Wed May 15, 2019 1:08 am

I thought the pi could only handle 64gb. Does the 128gb card work with the CS? Even when it’s completely full?

And what is the reason you want to overclock the sd card, does this brings performance improvements?

Sorry I can‘t help you with your question but maybe other people are interested to use a 128gb card too.

kopas

Post by kopas » Thu May 16, 2019 2:57 pm

Phiro13 wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 1:08 am
I thought the pi could only handle 64gb. Does the 128gb card work with the CS? Even when it’s completely full?

And what is the reason you want to overclock the sd card, does this brings performance improvements?

Sorry I can‘t help you with your question but maybe other people are interested to use a 128gb card too.
You can absolutely use cards larger than 64GB. I've personally used a bunch of different 128GB cards that are pretty chock full and have had no issues. I know people have even had success with 256GB cards... but I've never had a need for that much storage.

The Pi's CD Card Reader clocks at 50MHz by default and UHS-I SD Cards are designed to run at faster than that. Overclocking will get you better performance, but the "real world" difference is probably not noticeable...

Here's an article with more details:
https://www.jeffgeerling.com/blog/2018/ ... rison-2018

Phiro13

Post by Phiro13 » Fri May 17, 2019 12:01 am

That sounds great! I‘ll give it a try but I don‘t think to overclock it. Performance is already good even with an U1 card.