Compute Module 3 vs 3+?

straddle

Compute Module 3 vs 3+?

Post by straddle » Mon May 25, 2020 4:28 pm

I ordered the Circuit Sword CM3 kit last Summer and it arrived around Christmas time. I decided to wait to install it in a Boxy Pixel shell which only arrived the other day. I've just discovered the the BP shell is designed for the CM3 but my kit from Kite came with the CM3+.

Is there much of a performance difference between the two Compute Modules when running Retro Pie? I'm trying to decide whether to just order a CM3 and get it installed in the shell, or use a different shell to use the CM3+... What do people recommend?

I must say it's quite annoying to have ANOTHER hurdle after waiting almost a year to get this thing up and running!

infinitLoop

Re: Compute Module 3 vs 3+?

Post by infinitLoop » Tue May 26, 2020 8:19 am

straddle wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 4:28 pm
I ordered the Circuit Sword CM3 kit last Summer and it arrived around Christmas time. I decided to wait to install it in a Boxy Pixel shell which only arrived the other day. I've just discovered the the BP shell is designed for the CM3 but my kit from Kite came with the CM3+.

Is there much of a performance difference between the two Compute Modules when running Retro Pie? I'm trying to decide whether to just order a CM3 and get it installed in the shell, or use a different shell to use the CM3+... What do people recommend?

I must say it's quite annoying to have ANOTHER hurdle after waiting almost a year to get this thing up and running!
i dont think there is any physical difference between the cm and the cm+, only the processing boost. i've heard the boost you get isn't really all that helpful in retropie.

straddle

Re: Compute Module 3 vs 3+?

Post by straddle » Sat May 30, 2020 5:10 am

I contacted Kite to ask about this issue. In case others are interested, here are my questions and his responses in italics:

(a) Is there much of a performance difference between the CM3 and CM3+ when running Retro Pie with your kit? I'm trying to decide whether to just order a CM3 and get it installed in the shell, or use a different shell (or try and find a way to get or CNC'ed to fit) to use the CM3+... Am I going to notice much of a difference in performance between them? What do you recommend?

There is zero difference. Literally :) for more details compare the spec sheets, but they are the same CPU core, same speeds, same everything!! The ONLY difference is the metal cap on the chip (and some eMMC different sizes) which MAY allow it to overclock higher, but i wouldn't recomend to do it anyway.. so really, there is no difference :)

(b) If I decide to just order a regular CM3, which model should I get? Looking at the website I see there are two versions, a 4Gb eMMC version, and a lite version. Which one is better for the Circuit Sword? Do I even need eMMC if I have an SD card?

You should go for the "Lite" version, the one WITHOUT eMMC on board. Essentially the eMMC is wired up to the SD card pins (and then disables the use of the external SD card). So yeh go for the Lite one, if you did use the other ones it is possible to flash the eMMC to work but it's a bit more involved and you are then limited to a fixed capacity.