All in One PCB Support Thread

RobbsyB

Re: All in One PCB Support Thread

Post by RobbsyB » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:45 am

Helder wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:11 pm
Might be a faulty FE1.1s, you could also try reflowing the pins on the chip and post pictures of this usb wire and be sure the length is not excessively long as that can cause problems,
Hey Helder,
thank you! Resoldering the pins might have fixed the problem. Plugged the board to to my PC and it did not disconnect until now.

Cheers!

silentjames

Post by silentjames » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:15 am

Hello everyone, I have some problems with my gameboy.
Last weekend I've finally assembled all parts and soldered pi to cartridge reader and aio board. First problem I faced was USB - retropie couldn't start when something (a simple keyboard in my case) is connected. Okay, I resoldered all USB wires and the problem is gone (in general).
But for now I can see the whole spectre of problems, from time to time:
1. Can't press A/B/X/Y buttons to configure them as gamepad buttons - but they work perfectly when I pressed any of them to detect AIO board for retropie.
2. Sometimes all buttons can be configured in the right way, but when I open retropie menu and press down button once or twice to go to raspi-config or even configuration editor section - Emulationstation reboots.
3. Again, when two other problems don't appear and I'm able to open setting page (to enter wifi pass, for example), the selector at the bottom row (where OK, Back, Finish are located) is jumping between all buttons and cannot be controlled with d-pad or keyboard.
What did I do wrong? Is it a general problem with retropie (i'm using 4.3) or with my wiring?
WiringShow

dryja123

Post by dryja123 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:41 am

Yeah, it looks like your USB wiring is a tad too long and the Dat + and Dat - cables are not twisted.

silentjames

Post by silentjames » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:06 am

dryja123 wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:41 am
Yeah, it looks like your USB wiring is a tad too long and the Dat + and Dat - cables are not twisted.
I already twisted the wires while was lurking the forum for solutions :) And other problems are still here.
Anyway, is the length of usb wires really can be the reason of everything I described? Can't believe.

silentjames

Post by silentjames » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:32 pm

Finally I've fixed almost all issues, and it looks like they were produced by two reasons - inaccurate soldering of sd-card wires, and broken pads of safe shutdown board. I resoldered everything, and it works like a charm :)
Now my question (the most popular question in this topic, no doubts) is sound static. I checked almost all posts and solutions about it here, and my favourite one is shielded cables for pwm. Already tried it, and it doesn't really work for me, unfortunately. So my questions - can I use ground pads of R1\R2 buttons for shielding, or I should use one from powerstrip area? And is my twisted-shielding good enough, or ground wire must be longer?
Wiring (yes, I see that one of pwn cables is disconnected, it was fixed :))
SpoilerShow

wermy
Site Admin

Post by wermy » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:04 pm

Closing this thread because it's ridiculously long and Helder has his own support section now. :)

Please first search here for an answer to your question/issue, and create a new thread if you can't find anything.
ImageImageImageImage