Noob

Resolved Game Boy Zero issues go here. Search this section first before creating a new support thread!
Lunchmoney

Noob

Post by Lunchmoney » Mon May 18, 2020 8:25 pm

Hello! And sorry in advance, I'm new to this. I saw a Gameboy zero build on YouTube and it looked like fun, I would like to attempt to build one but don't know what anything does or why it does it. Could anyone help me learn about this or point me to someone who could explain circuit boards, wiring, and everything else? I would really appreciate it because this and all these projects look really cool but I have no idea how to even begin.

infinitLoop

Re: Noob

Post by infinitLoop » Tue May 19, 2020 9:38 am

Lunchmoney wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 8:25 pm
Hello! And sorry in advance, I'm new to this. I saw a Gameboy zero build on YouTube and it looked like fun, I would like to attempt to build one but don't know what anything does or why it does it. Could anyone help me learn about this or point me to someone who could explain circuit boards, wiring, and everything else? I would really appreciate it because this and all these projects look really cool but I have no idea how to even begin.
you'll probably want to do some "intro to electronics" type videos, around soldering and using the tools - adafruit has a lot of good tutorials.

then you should probably start at wermy's guides: https://www.sudomod.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

you're asking for quite a bit tho - the best thing to do is start reading and watching stuff, and when you come across stuff you don't understand then just read/watch about that, and repeat. just trying (and failing) is a great way to learn.

there's also options for kits that are a lot easier to do, as all the hard parts are generally worked out in their design and engineering.

Lunchmoney

Post by Lunchmoney » Tue May 19, 2020 12:38 pm

I really appreciate it bro 👌

infinitLoop

Post by infinitLoop » Tue May 19, 2020 4:32 pm

Lunchmoney wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 12:38 pm
I really appreciate it bro 👌
no worries. it's good to see people getting into it, and it can be quite addictive ;) as well as a very handy and rewarding skill to have just in general

if you get stuck on something or want advice/opinions, this forum is usually really good with helping out, but people will be more responsive if it seems like you took some initiative and tried figuring it out and researching it on your own.

i'd say, watch wermy's video's, google around for other people that have done builds on youtube - there's a bunch nowadays - or just any "raspberry pi handheld" video really, as the concepts are pretty much all the same on all of them. as you see or hear stuff you don't know, just look up that stuff. once you've watched enough that you start feeling comfortable in doing it, then dive in.

good luck!