[Solved] Start Button Continuously Connected To Ground

Resolved mintyPi issues go here. Search this section first before creating a new support thread!
Indian Hobo

[Solved] Start Button Continuously Connected To Ground

Post by Indian Hobo » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:49 pm

My MintyPi was previously working fine, but after some loose wire issues that I fixed, i noticed the start button wasn't working. I checked continuity between the test pad and the pi, and I got a solid connection. Despite this the button still didn't work. After some continuity checks, I discovered that the start button is somehow continuously connected to ground. I removed the button, so it isn't a problem with that. I've scoured the PCB and found no stray solder or anything indicating a bridged connection. Any help as to why this is happening would be most welcome.
Last edited by Indian Hobo on Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rodocop

Re: Start Button Continuously Connected To Ground

Post by rodocop » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:42 pm

Just looking at the pi zero gpio pinout and the mintypi layout I can see that the start gpio is right above a ground gpio. So likely there is a bridge between the pi and the pcb. You won't be able to see that. But since you tested with the multimeter and found continuity with ground and start that is likely the issue.

I would get some solder wick and wick up as much solder as possible from the start gpio, as well as the adjacent ground gpio. Hopefully that helps.

Indian Hobo

Re: Start Button Continuously Connected To Ground

Post by Indian Hobo » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:53 pm

Thanks for the tip! Unfortunately that didn't solve my problem. I decided to desolder the pi from the PCB in order to find out what was going on. Once the pi was completely off the board and clean, I found that GPIO 15 was still connected to ground. I have no idea how that happened, but I figured it was just a defect with the pi. I ended up soldering a wire from GPIO 17 to the START test pad and changing the retrogame configuration to having the start button on GPIO 17.