[SOLVED] Everything works until I plug it in :)

Resolved mintyPi issues go here. Search this section first before creating a new support thread!
petran1420

[SOLVED] Everything works until I plug it in :)

Post by petran1420 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:00 pm

Hi all,

I'm trying to finish up my first mintyPi, and I've seemed to hit a snag. I'm at the point where everything is wired up, and the pi/screen/sound works fine when I plug into the pi itself, but nothing happens when I plug into the usb port on the tin. Do I have everything wired up correctly?

I think I wired into the BAT part from the switch, instead of the ground, like mentioned in the video. The charging port LED is red when plugged in, and after a few hours doesn't seem to go green, it doesn't seem to be charging. Any help would be appreciated!
Last edited by petran1420 on Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

wermy
Site Admin

Re: Everything works until I plug it in :)

Post by wermy » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:21 pm

A little hard to tell from the picture but everything looks fine (you may want to consider going back and shortening how much exposed wire you have in a few spots though). Are you sure your battery isn't just dead? That's happened to a few people. Try just letting it charge for a bit. :)
ImageImageImageImage

NarxElectronics

Post by NarxElectronics » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:13 pm

wermy wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:21 pm
Are you sure your battery isn't just dead?
That may be the problem, my backlight died started to die out once because i didn't have my battery charged. But check your wiring anyway here: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=3297

petran1420

Post by petran1420 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:12 pm

Are you sure your battery isn't just dead? That's happened to a few people. Try just letting it charge for a bit. :)
I let it sit until a full charge, led on the usb port is now green. Still no go:

I have a black wire coming out of the switch instead of red, just because I had that one soldered on before I knew we were going to use the BAT instead of GND for inline, wiring from the usb port. Its still coming from BAT, even though its a black wire.
But check your wiring anyway here: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=3297
I keep rechecking and everything looks fine...here's another closeup of my helder board:
Once again, I have a black wire instead of red going into the VCC pad, from the power switch. Also I have a purple wire instead of green for the USB setup now, because my white wire was solid core, wasn't bending well and snapped off the sound board.

I measured voltage on the VCC and GND pads on the Helder board, its 4.1 when my power switch is turned on (with or without the usb plugged in, so I know my battery is keeping charge), and 0.4 to 0.6 when its switched off. And everything still works just fine when I'm plugged straight into the pi. I'm guessing I'm just missing something really stupid but I can't figure out what...

dryja123

Post by dryja123 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:17 pm

Ok, you've verified that the PCB is getting 4.1v but what about the Pi? Test the voltage on the Pi.

petran1420

Post by petran1420 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:33 pm

Ok, you've verified that the PCB is getting 4.1v but what about the Pi? Test the voltage on the Pi.
Huzzah! That did it. My 5V pin didn't have a good connection to the board. Thanks all!

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:58 pm

I was helping my brother today on his build and the screen wasn't working, was a bad ground. Then screen didn't show an image so messed with the ribbon and nothing so soldered the screen directly to the board and no go.

Finally I decided to recheck his GPIO joints and 2 were bad even though he tested them before. Always double check GPIO joints if things don't work.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

petran1420

Re: [SOLVED] Everything works until I plug it in :)

Post by petran1420 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:49 am

Finally I decided to recheck his GPIO joints and 2 were bad even though he tested them before. Always double check GPIO joints if things don't work.
Yup, All my continuity tests worked in the first go around, so I didn't think to check them again in my debugging process. It was still the culprit though!