[SOLVED] Cloning image advice

Resolved mintyPi issues go here. Search this section first before creating a new support thread!
petran1420

[SOLVED] Cloning image advice

Post by petran1420 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:44 pm

Hi all,

I'm building 3 mintyPis simultaneously as gifts for all my groomsmen in my upcoming wedding. I finally got one image prepped to how I want it, with settings, roms, themes, etc., and I'd like to not have to do it 2 more times. Is there a quick and easy way to clone my image onto other sd cards for the other pis? I know Etcher is working on this function but I don't think its ready yet, and I've seen some tutorials on cloning images, but it looks like they may only work on the one specific sd card it was originally cloned from, and isn't for putting onto other cards. I'm seeing a bunch of possible leads online here but I'm wondering if anyone in this wonderful community has any advice. Thanks!
Last edited by petran1420 on Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VeteranGamer

Re: Cloning image advice

Post by VeteranGamer » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:34 am

petran1420 wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:44 pm
Hi all,

I'm building 3 mintyPis simultaneously as gifts for all my groomsmen in my upcoming wedding. I finally got one image prepped to how I want it, with settings, roms, themes, etc., and I'd like to not have to do it 2 more times. Is there a quick and easy way to clone my image onto other sd cards for the other pis? I know Etcher is working on this function but I don't think its ready yet, and I've seen some tutorials on cloning images, but it looks like they may only work on the one specific sd card it was originally cloned from, and isn't for putting onto other cards. I'm seeing a bunch of possible leads online here but I'm wondering if anyone in this wonderful community has any advice. Thanks!
you can use the read option on Win32 Disk imager, this will make a backup of your build....
which can be used on other builds (i personally done this)....

https://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/

wermy
Site Admin

Post by wermy » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:28 pm

And if you're a mac user then apple pi baker does this (and is what I use to make the pre-setup image): https://www.tweaking4all.com/news/apple ... -2-update/
ImageImageImageImage

petran1420

Post by petran1420 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:48 pm

you can use the read option on Win32 Disk imager, this will make a backup of your build....
which can be used on other builds (i personally done this)....
This worked great, thanks! I got spooked by some of the comments that this couldn't work on a new sd card, only the one it was cloned from, but that wasn't the case. Thanks!
And if you're a mac user then apple pi baker does this (and is what I use to make the pre-setup image): https://www.tweaking4all.com/news/apple ... -2-update/
I've heard this works well too. I have both a mac and a pc, and for some reason ApplePiBaker shoots up a warning any time i try to boot it up, saying I don't have sudo access to open the program. Happened ever since I upgraded my OS to Sierra. Its fine though, since I got it to work on a pc.