[Solved] Microlipo LEDs staying on

Resolved mintyPi issues go here. Search this section first before creating a new support thread!
J-Malice

[Solved] Microlipo LEDs staying on

Post by J-Malice » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:02 am

Been troubleshooting some power issues and had the pcb up so I could examine cabling. I figured I'd plug it in to charge since maybe the battery was just dead or something. It started charging and didnt seem to have an issue. Looked down and both LED's were on so I unplugged it. But both stayed on and the microlipo is now getting pretty hot. Anyone encounter this before?

Had to disconnect the + lead between the battery and charging board in order to stop it from heating up any further.
Last edited by J-Malice on Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

J-Malice

Re: Microlipo LEDs staying on

Post by J-Malice » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:38 am

Additional information, I had a closing issue (made a thread about it on this forum) as well as no audio. I figured pop it open and check the USB audio card and then check the 3d printed hinge. Sure enough the + power wire on the usb audio card was nearly torn off on the USB card end. No big deal, resolder it, took like .2 seconds of heat to get it to make a firm connection. Then I hit the power switch to see if I had audio now. There was no power whatsoever. The screen didn't light up and the pi LED didn't light up. I was confused and figured re-check the wiring on everything to make sure I didn't short it somehow. No visible issues.

Maybe when I tried to remove the pcb/pi/3d face plate combo from the tin it bent slightly and broke some connections between the pcb and pi? Resoldered the DC, 3.3V and 5V. Still no power. At that point I tried what I listed in my first post, charging the battery. Which led to me desoldering the + between the battery and microlipo charger on the microlipo end. Soldering it back on had 0 issues. Now I am pretty lost on where to take this. The issue seems like a short between power and ground but I see 0 places it could be happening.

I'd check with a multimeter but I don't have one at home. I could take this to work and check it there but I am trying to exhaust my resources here before I do that.

J-Malice

Post by J-Malice » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:50 am

J-Malice

Post by J-Malice » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:59 am

And yeah, since I didn't explicitly say it, this was working (albeit no audio) before I started this process.

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:45 pm

J-Malice wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:59 am
And yeah, since I didn't explicitly say it, this was working (albeit no audio) before I started this process.
So in your last photo you have two black wires soldered. Those are not soldered in the proper spot, you need to solder those to the round pins between where they are now. that would be why your audio is not working.
SpoilerShow
As for the power issue. I had an issue with a micro lipo I was using, it would not work for me. Worked at the start, and then failed. I found I was getting continuity between the positive and negative on the board, not sure what happened, but I switched to one of the cheap TP4056 boards and it worked.

I'd grab a multi-meter and check if there are any continuity issues with the micro lipo.
Last edited by rodocop on Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:49 pm

Also try to re flow the positive and ground where the battery board connects to the PCB. and possibly run some jumper wires if needed. Sometimes all it takes is some flex in the boards to screw up those connections. Pretty easy to do that when you are popping the PCB out of the tin.

J-Malice

Post by J-Malice » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:57 pm

Definitely going to try that. Thanks for the response man. I feel like a dork now. Of course it's the pad and not the pitted spot.

J-Malice

Post by J-Malice » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:02 pm

Well I swapped out the battery board for a new one. Resoldered all the wires back on and fixed where my audio was going. Rechecked the micro lipo board and all of my connections. Everything looks good. Sadly I used all black wires for the build so pictures are only so helpful. And I can follow their paths easy enough but I really don't see anything there.

Going to put a wire between the battery positive and the battery board to see if that starts it up. Will report back with the results.

J-Malice

Post by J-Malice » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:46 pm

Checking continuity and where the power stops:

Power is good all the way to the battery board. A little high but it is getting there. 3.9V to 4V.

No power on the raspberry pi board though. Likewise there is weird continuity. All 3 switch pins have continuity between them. Likewise the edge of the battery, the foil like wrapper, seems to have continuity. I'm thinking the switch somehow went bad?

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:49 pm

Can't hurt to try replacing the switch. If you power the pi from a micro usb does it work?