LCD Screen shining white, not showing any content

Having trouble with your mintyPi build? Post your questions here!
beldar

LCD Screen shining white, not showing any content

Post by beldar » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:05 pm

Hi all,

This is my first mintyPi, I've just started assembling it, I've soldered the Rasperry Pi to the Button PCB (v2), and then connected the LCD screen with the ribbon cable to test it, but when I plug it in the LCD screen only shows white, no content.

I've tested continuity on all pins on the button PCB.
I've tested continuity from the button PCB to the LCD PCB.
I've tested voltage getting to the LCD and its 3.3V.
I've connected the raspberry Pi to my TV via HDMI and it shows the loading screens and the menus perfectly.

I've attached some pictures of it.

Could someone help me or point me on the right direction?

The only hypothesis I can think of is that the brightness is at max and its so bright that you can't see the content. But I don't understand how that can happen on the first boot.

Thanks in advance!
Attachments
IMG_1190.JPG
Screen showing white
IMG_1190.JPG (1.08 MiB) Viewed 6181 times
IMG_1193.JPG
Detail of the soldering
IMG_1193.JPG (1.44 MiB) Viewed 6181 times

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Re: LCD Screen shining white, not showing any content

Post by Helder » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:24 pm

Test continuity from the Pi to the LCD board test pads and see if everything has continuity.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

beldar

Post by beldar » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:18 am

Helder wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:24 pm
Test continuity from the Pi to the LCD board test pads and see if everything has continuity.
Hi there!

I've tested continuity from the Pi to the LCD board, everything has continuity. I've tested all pins again to be sure, all have continuity.

By the way on the new LCD board, there's a test pad that says SCL but I think it means SCK because that's what the button PCB says and its what has continuity.

Anyway, I've tested everything again and I have the same result, white screen.

Any more ideas?

PS: I'm using mintyPi_v4.img on the SD, I assume is the latest version.

beldar

Post by beldar » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:19 am

Is there any way by SSH into the Pi that I can test the LCD? Or send a command or monitor its state or something?

Thanks

beldar

Post by beldar » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:43 am

I believe its a software problem, the LCD drivers were not installed on the mintyPi image I downloaded, is there a newer one?

I've tried this drivers https://www.waveshare.com/wiki/3.5inch_ ... (A)#Driver and worked like a charm, however there isn't a 2.2'' config, the closest think is 2.8'' (LCD23-show) so I'm not sure if its working at the full screen it should.

Can you point me to the right drivers if that's not it? Or maybe the mintyPi image with the right drivers baked in, that would be the best.

Thanks!

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:01 pm

Should be this one here but it's a whole image with everything configured.

http://www.sudomod.com/wiki/index.php?t ... i#Software

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

beldar

Post by beldar » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:35 pm

Helder wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:01 pm
Should be this one here but it's a whole image with everything configured.

http://www.sudomod.com/wiki/index.php?t ... i#Software
This is the one I downloaded and burned in the SD and didn't work with the screen...

jdesignerw

Re: [SOLVED] LCD Screen shining white, not showing any content

Post by jdesignerw » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:11 pm

I'm having the same problem. I checked all the continuity as well. I can't see where the solution was provided. I did use the image provided by the Sudomod wiki.

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:40 am

jdesignerw wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:11 pm
I'm having the same problem. I checked all the continuity as well. I can't see where the solution was provided. I did use the image provided by the Sudomod wiki.
What program did you use to burn the image and have you tested the pi by plugging it into a TV with HDMI? If there is nothing showing on the TV either then it sure won't show on the LCD.

Post pictures too of the LCD board and your soldering of the pi like in the images above like the others did.

jdesignerw

Post by jdesignerw » Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:57 pm

Helder wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:40 am

What program did you use to burn the image and have you tested the pi by plugging it into a TV with HDMI? If there is nothing showing on the TV either then it sure won't show on the LCD.

Post pictures too of the LCD board and your soldering of the pi like in the images above like the others did.
I used Win32DiskImager to burn the image. I don't have the smaller HDMI connection for the Raspberry Pi zero so I tested the SD card by plugging it into a Raspberry Pi 3 B and then a tv. It ran fine. Additional information I didn't mention earlier: When I first tested it in the Raspberry Pi Zero attached to the PCB board it seemed to start like normal. After the "Retropie" logo popped up the screen went white.

Helder thanks for your help. I'm a big fan of what you do. I follow your social and check out your videos when they are published. Your work inspired me to take up this hobby. That said I'm not great at soldering as seen in the images below.