Rear Button Bracket

Share your STL files, CAD design files, etc. here!
caste

Rear Button Bracket

Post by caste » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:03 pm

It's been a while since I had anything to share with the community but I knocked this out the other day. It's a simple bracket to hold two gameboy style buttons on the rear of the case where the cartridge bottoms out. This was designed to use two of the single button PCBs for sale on kitsch-bent. It's been measured so the buttons have the same throw and stick-out as the front ones.

You just use the part with some well guides or however you want to drill the holes and glue it down. The 2nd photo shows everything you need, two of the easy_button boards, 4 screws like the ones used to hold the PCB down to the front of the case, a membrane that you will cut in half and trim so it fits around the standoffs and a couple of GB buttons. You'll notice I didn't tighten the screws down. That's because I'm not sure how many times I can do that with this print before the screw stops biting.

Obviously this won't work out with an SD cart if you're going that route as this interferes with the cart reader. I'm using Kite's SAIO so it's not an issue. I'm going to cut the front of an empty cart to accommodate.

Download STL:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6zydv18me7l98 ... 1.STL?dl=0

PCBs:
http://store.kitsch-bent.com/product/easy_buttons

Photos:
PhotosShow

VeteranGamer

Re: Rear Button Bracket

Post by VeteranGamer » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:41 pm

thanks

very nice work.....

a bit late for my recent build (its got a cart reader, so would not have worked)

but i'm working on another gameboy that has either the hdmi or 640x480 screen (going for all the bells and whistles)
will definitely try to use this (thanks)..... i'm hoping to aim for another no hot glue build

smoothoperator

Post by smoothoperator » Mon May 01, 2017 12:55 pm

Really nice! Great work, although I don't have a 3d printer so I'm out of luck.......................

VeteranGamer

Post by VeteranGamer » Mon May 01, 2017 2:27 pm

smoothoperator wrote:
Mon May 01, 2017 12:55 pm
Really nice! Great work, although I don't have a 3d printer so I'm out of luck.......................

see if someone has a printer local to you (they will charge)

https://www.3dhubs.com/

ICMF

Post by ICMF » Mon May 01, 2017 2:45 pm

smoothoperator wrote:
www.3dhubs.com

caste

Post by caste » Tue May 02, 2017 8:22 am

smoothoperator wrote:
Thanks! Unfortunately neither do I or I'd offer up to send them out to others. I use shapeways to print my stuff, as others have said, 3dhubs.com is a great solution.

hueblo

Post by hueblo » Tue May 02, 2017 9:43 am

caste wrote:
Tue May 02, 2017 8:22 am
smoothoperator wrote:
Thanks! Unfortunately neither do I or I'd offer up to send them out to others. I use shapeways to print my stuff, as others have said, 3dhubs.com is a great solution.
Nice! I did something really something similar with an acrylic spacer, 3DS buttons, L & R PCB from a bootleg SNES controller and a directional pad membrane to accommodate smaller buttons. The complete assembly would have to be glued down right? What do you think about a bracket that can hold the whole thing down and screw into the ports that hold the metal shielding in place? Not sure if that would be enough support. Is there a picture of what the buttons look like from the back?

caste

Post by caste » Thu May 04, 2017 2:42 pm

hueblo wrote:
Tue May 02, 2017 9:43 am
caste wrote:
Tue May 02, 2017 8:22 am
smoothoperator wrote:
Nice! I did something really something similar with an acrylic spacer, 3DS buttons, L & R PCB from a bootleg SNES controller and a directional pad membrane to accommodate smaller buttons. The complete assembly would have to be glued down right? What do you think about a bracket that can hold the whole thing down and screw into the ports that hold the metal shielding in place? Not sure if that would be enough support. Is there a picture of what the buttons look like from the back?
Thanks

It press fits in very tight, but I would put a little glue on the face of it just to be sure. Not anything crazy like how we hot glue around the screen. Something could certainly be done to let it screw into those posts, I just wanted it as low as possible and honestly opted for simplicity. Less is more. I may even cut a notch so it fits around the battery compartment to get them a little lower. It seems like the most comfortable place for them, at least for me, is right on the battery door, but I don't have room for that.

I don't have a photo of the back on hand. It basically just looks like the front extra X & Y buttons. I'll snap one tonight.

starmagoo

Post by starmagoo » Fri May 05, 2017 8:40 am

Hi.

Is there another shop for the breakout boards? International shipping costs 14$ :o

caste

Post by caste » Fri May 05, 2017 12:31 pm

starmagoo wrote:
Fri May 05, 2017 8:40 am
Hi.

Is there another shop for the breakout boards? International shipping costs 14$ :o
As far as I know they're the ones that make them