Glue Less Support Bracket for Kite's Mode/Power Switch Board

Share your STL files, CAD design files, etc. here!
User avatar
HoolyHoo
Posts: 716
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:34 pm
Has thanked: 224 times
Been thanked: 764 times

Glue Less Support Bracket for Kite's Mode/Power Switch Board

Post by HoolyHoo » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:08 am

Hey guys here's a little something I made to help with Kite's awesome Circuit Sword. His power switch and mode PCB definitely makes things cleaner. I did find a couple little faults which some of you have noticed. The first is installing the unit without globs of hot glue is nearly impossible. The second is the included mode button is both short on the stem and is too high to align the hole in the shell and keep the switch at the correct height. No worries, as I have a solution for you guys! :D

The solution to the later is to unsolder the mode button and replace it with similar one to where the stem is about 2mm longer. Luckily I have an assortment of these tact switches but they are readily available through the usual sources. I used a four legged one, straightened the legs to 90 degree angle from the switch and snipped the other two legs flush. Now the trick is you need to mount it about 2mm lower than the PCB. It will hang there but don't worry, we have a solution for support so it doesn't get pushed back when activating. Which leads me to solution number two, PCB unit support.

I designed a neat little two piece bracket for support that is totally glue less. The way it works is you place the support bracket in the shell, then place the Mode/Power Switch PCB with the correct mode button and height, and slide it into place. Next screw in the PCB to the support bracket with two small m2 screws. Then, insert the second 3D part behind the mode switch which adds support and strength for when the button is pressed. Finally insert a screw through the two 3d parts into the existing screw mount hole in the shell.

When done, your mount should look like this.
PowerMode1.jpg
PowerMode1.jpg (327.73 KiB) Viewed 3483 times
PowerMode2.jpg
PowerMode2.jpg (248.64 KiB) Viewed 3483 times
I have made this available to anyone wanting to print it. Enjoy and Happy Modding! :D

If Downloading, Please Consider Using the Button :D :
Image
STL DownloadShow
KitePowerBoardBracket.zip
(33.12 KiB) Downloaded 515 times

User avatar
kite
Posts: 1589
Joined: Thu May 12, 2016 4:30 am
Location: UK
Has thanked: 351 times
Been thanked: 2058 times
Contact:

Re: Glue Less Support Bracket for Kite's Mode/Power Switch Board

Post by kite » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:15 am

Excellent!! :) What I might do for the next batch is have the mode button not soldered, but include the 'right length' in the accessories bag. This should make things a little easier when installing, and people can solder it however they like :)

Nice work as always!

smoothoperator
Posts: 118
Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan, USA
Has thanked: 94 times
Been thanked: 42 times

Re: Glue Less Support Bracket for Kite's Mode/Power Switch Board

Post by smoothoperator » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:27 am

HoolyHoo wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:08 am
Hey guys here's a little something I made to help with Kite's awesome Circuit Sword. His power switch and mode PCB definitely makes things cleaner. I did find a couple little faults which some of you have noticed. The first is installing the unit without globs of hot glue is nearly impossible. The second is the included mode button is both short on the stem and is too high to align the hole in the shell and keep the switch at the correct height. No worries, as I have a solution for you guys! :D

The solution to the later is to unsolder the mode button and replace it with similar one to where the stem is about 2mm longer. Luckily I have an assortment of these tact switches but they are readily available through the usual sources. I used a four legged one, straightened the legs to 90 degree angle from the switch and snipped the other two legs flush. Now the trick is you need to mount it about 2mm lower than the PCB. It will hang there but don't worry, we have a solution for support so it doesn't get pushed back when activating. Which leads me to solution number two, PCB unit support.

I designed a neat little two piece bracket for support that is totally glue less. The way it works is you place the support bracket in the shell, then place the Mode/Power Switch PCB with the correct mode button and height, and slide it into place. Next screw in the PCB to the support bracket with two small m2 screws. Then, insert the second 3D part behind the mode switch which adds support and strength for when the button is pressed. Finally insert a screw through the two 3d parts into the existing screw mount hole in the shell.

When done, your mount should look like this.

PowerMode1.jpg
PowerMode2.jpg

I have made this available to anyone wanting to print it. Enjoy and Happy Modding! :D

If Downloading, Please Consider Using the Button :D :
Image
STL DownloadShow
KitePowerBoardBracket.zip
Just when I thought you couldn't do anything to top your already stellar lineup of components, you drop this bomb on us :D

User avatar
HoolyHoo
Posts: 716
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:34 pm
Has thanked: 224 times
Been thanked: 764 times

Re: Glue Less Support Bracket for Kite's Mode/Power Switch Board

Post by HoolyHoo » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:07 pm

Just when I thought you couldn't do anything to top your already stellar lineup of components, you drop this bomb on us :D
Haha, thanks!

Wait till you see my next idea. I’m working on a fan mount I think plenty are going to like :D Stay tuned!!!

User avatar
Nicode70
Posts: 104
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:36 am
Has thanked: 19 times
Been thanked: 19 times

Re: Glue Less Support Bracket for Kite's Mode/Power Switch Board

Post by Nicode70 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:57 pm

kite wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:15 am
Excellent!! :) What I might do for the next batch is have the mode button not soldered, but include the 'right length' in the accessories bag. This should make things a little easier when installing, and people can solder it however they like :)

Nice work as always!
Do you mean that for the current pre orders?
That would be wonderful.

Thank you for sharing your désign HoolyHoo
https://instagram.com/nicoGBPi
Nintendo ID: 0954-8664-4922

User avatar
Adim01
Posts: 41
Joined: Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:53 am
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: Glue Less Support Bracket for Kite's Mode/Power Switch Board

Post by Adim01 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:01 pm

What a neat thing to build, If you won't stop making such builds I will need to buy myself a 3d printer.

Jfenton78
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:40 am
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Glue Less Support Bracket for Kite's Mode/Power Switch Board

Post by Jfenton78 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:29 pm

Can you post a link to an example of the new mode button you used?

User avatar
goodBEan
Posts: 121
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:06 pm
Has thanked: 21 times
Been thanked: 30 times

Re: Glue Less Support Bracket for Kite's Mode/Power Switch Board

Post by goodBEan » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:15 pm

And I thought I would have to make a bracket myself. THANKS

Also this throws my bracket project a bit back since I have to work around this design.

User avatar
HoolyHoo
Posts: 716
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:34 pm
Has thanked: 224 times
Been thanked: 764 times

Re: Glue Less Support Bracket for Kite's Mode/Power Switch Board

Post by HoolyHoo » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:39 pm

goodBEan wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:15 pm
And I thought I would have to make a bracket myself. THANKS

Also this throws my bracket project a bit back since I have to work around this design.
Oh wow, maybe you can combine your design with mine and make one piece for that side. Just a thought. :)

User avatar
goodBEan
Posts: 121
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:06 pm
Has thanked: 21 times
Been thanked: 30 times

Re: Glue Less Support Bracket for Kite's Mode/Power Switch Board

Post by goodBEan » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:57 pm

HoolyHoo wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:39 pm

Oh wow, maybe you can combine your design with mine and make one piece for that side. Just a thought. :)
Maybe a combo part won't be necessary. I want mine to work no mater what switch or other parts are in play. I could just make adjustments to mine or just a variant to get mine out of the way. I plan to print your part right after I do my last test print to see if there is any interference.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests