3D printing recommendations

Looking for recommendations for a printer or printing software? Have a printer you recommend? Or one you strongly recommend *against*? Post it here!
Rod2D2

3D printing recommendations

Post by Rod2D2 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:49 pm

Hey Everyone,

So while working on this project and and discussing with @Day on the Discord channel I started to think about how I could use a 3D printer. I know other threads have discussed what parts could be printed etc but services are expensive and not convenient if I want to design/print prototypes and other things quickly. For a while I've been considering purchasing my own 3D printer but of course they are expensive and have so many different models/features that it can be complicated.

So if anyone has a 3D printer, knowledge of printers, or experience with features/filaments please contribute here. I want to know what printer brands, features, filaments are recommended and not recommended. Keep in mind I'm an average guy so I'm also looking at value as I know these things can be super expensive. Thanks

wermy
Site Admin

Re: 3D printing recommendations

Post by wermy » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:04 pm

I use a Lulzbot Mini (I had a clone of a Flashforge that gave me nothing but trouble before that). The mini has been great: auto-bed leveling, automatic nozzle cleaning, really nice heated build surface. Just all around a great machine. Another one I've heard great things about is the latest version of the Prusa i3 (I'd stick with the official ones, not the knockoffs). If I were to buy another printer it would be a tossup between another mini and an i3.

As for filament, I've had good luck with eSun, Hatchbox and Push Plastic. The Push Plastic polycarbonate blend has been especially great -- it's what I print the screw brackets and button wells with.

Just make sure you get an enclosure for your printer (if it isn't already enclosed) if you plan on printing anything reasonably-sized out of ABS or polycarbonate. :)
ImageImageImageImage

Rod2D2

Post by Rod2D2 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:08 pm

wermy wrote:I use a Lulzbot Mini (I had a clone of a Flashforge that gave me nothing but trouble before that). The mini has been great: auto-bed leveling, automatic nozzle cleaning, really nice heated build surface. Just all around a great machine. Another one I've heard great things about is the latest version of the Prusa i3 (I'd stick with the official ones, not the knockoffs). If I were to buy another printer it would be a tossup between another mini and an i3.

As for filament, I've had good luck with eSun, Hatchbox and Push Plastic. The Push Plastic polycarbonate blend has been especially great -- it's what I print the screw brackets and button wells with.

Just make sure you get an enclosure for your printer (if it isn't already enclosed) if you plan on printing anything reasonably-sized out of ABS or polycarbonate. :)
What would be the benefits of an enclosure?

wermy
Site Admin

Post by wermy » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:09 pm

Rod2D2 wrote: What would be the benefits of an enclosure?
Helps keep the ambient temperature consistent and warm while it prints. Helps prevent warping in your prints. Makes a big difference.
ImageImageImageImage