What 3d Printer do you have?

Looking for recommendations for a printer or printing software? Have a printer you recommend? Or one you strongly recommend *against*? Post it here!
matt

What 3d Printer do you have?

Post by matt » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:11 am

Looking to invest in a 3d Printer, wondering what you guys recommend.

Ideally looking for a cheap model but I'm curious what other people use and what you guys would avoid getting

Cheers!

wermy
Site Admin

Re: What 3d Printer do you have?

Post by wermy » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:27 am

Moving this to the 3d-printing forum. :)
I have a Lulzbot Mini, Lulzbot Taz 6 and a Raise3D N2. If I were to buy another printer today, and what I would recommend to someone wanting to get into 3d-printing, would definitely be a Prusa i3, though. The official one, not the knockoffs (they also just announced their 3rd major revision of the i3, which has some very nice features): http://shop.prusa3d.com/en/17-3d-printers
ImageImageImageImage

matt

Post by matt » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:32 am

wermy wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:27 am
My bad, I must have missed that!

HoolyHoo

Post by HoolyHoo » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:33 am

wermy wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:27 am
I have a Lulzbot Mini, Lulzbot Taz 6 and a Raise3D N2. If I were to buy another printer today, and what I would recommend to someone wanting to get into 3d-printing, would definitely be a Prusa i3, though. The official one, not the knockoffs (they also just announced their 3rd major revision of the i3, which has some very nice features): http://shop.prusa3d.com/en/17-3d-printers
+1, bought the MK2S recently and its so nice. It just works, and works well. The new MK3 is even nicer with some added new bonus features. If it's in your budget, I would recommend.

RetroRocket

Post by RetroRocket » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:10 am

I love my Anet A8. It's a RepRap style, DIY build. So you need to be a little handy to put it together properly, but if you're on this forum, chances are you'll have no problems. The print quality is fair, with some printable upgrades easily available. Not the prettiest on a desk like those enclosed box ones, but I chose it for its price (<$170 USD), included heated bed, and it's relatively large build volume (220mmx220mmx240mm).

I spent a lot of time researching before biting the bullet, and my biggest concerns were, in order, 1) Price, 2) Build Volume, 3) Upgradability, 4) Initial Print Quality

You can upgrade it with Skynet, webcams, phone-app linkage and whatnot, but this will be just sitting on my desk next to my computer, so didn't care about extra features.

As an Industrial Designer I've used dozens of printers, and there are definitely printers with better quality prints out of the box, or that are less fussy when you change things around, but the price was right, it does everything I want it to, and I enjoy getting under the hood now and then.

On the cons side, it is quite noisy before modifications, so I replaced the stock cooling fans and built an enclosure (doubles for heat insulation). It is very much bare bones and there are plenty of Youtube videos offering helpful suggested printable upgrades.

Cheers!

matt

Post by matt » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:41 pm

RetroRocket wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:10 am
I love my Anet A8. It's a RepRap style, DIY build. So you need to be a little handy to put it together properly, but if you're on this forum, chances are you'll have no problems. The print quality is fair, with some printable upgrades easily available. Not the prettiest on a desk like those enclosed box ones, but I chose it for its price (<$170 USD), included heated bed, and it's relatively large build volume (220mmx220mmx240mm).

I spent a lot of time researching before biting the bullet, and my biggest concerns were, in order, 1) Price, 2) Build Volume, 3) Upgradability, 4) Initial Print Quality

You can upgrade it with Skynet, webcams, phone-app linkage and whatnot, but this will be just sitting on my desk next to my computer, so didn't care about extra features.

As an Industrial Designer I've used dozens of printers, and there are definitely printers with better quality prints out of the box, or that are less fussy when you change things around, but the price was right, it does everything I want it to, and I enjoy getting under the hood now and then.

On the cons side, it is quite noisy before modifications, so I replaced the stock cooling fans and built an enclosure (doubles for heat insulation). It is very much bare bones and there are plenty of Youtube videos offering helpful suggested printable upgrades.

Cheers!
Reddit was advising me against the Anet A8, but I haven't got the budget for an expensive machine and I'm new to 3d printing so thinking it's a cost effective way of learning how to 3d print.

I'm looking for something with reasonable quality prints that's fairly cheap.

Cheers for the advice

cobramike

Post by cobramike » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:42 am

Ya i have the Original Prusa MK2S and also preordered the MK3. I also bought the Anet A8. But ill say this for 120 its a crap printer. You need to upgrade it aloud to make good prints. Dont believe youtube @ the moment with the anet A8. Gearbest was giving aloud of printers away for good reviews.

Reddit is the best place for info. And believe me dont.
Whooo Stop befor ask in a post. First use the search or the wiki befor you make a topic.. Just saying.........

matt

Post by matt » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:38 am

cobramike wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:42 am
Gearbest was giving aloud of printers away for good reviews.
Any you'd recommend?

I appreciate the advice!

cobramike

Post by cobramike » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:12 am

matt wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:38 am
cobramike wrote:
Any you'd recommend?

I appreciate the advice!
Prusa MK2S cost now 619 Euro Verry good price

Dont go with the cheap gearbest one. My friend has the cr10 also a good printer. But he is using that one for plane models. Thats why he has the CR10..

My advice save up your money to buy the Original Prusa MK2S or MK3
Whooo Stop befor ask in a post. First use the search or the wiki befor you make a topic.. Just saying.........

matt

Post by matt » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:53 am

cobramike wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:12 am
matt wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:38 am
cobramike wrote:
Any you'd recommend?

I appreciate the advice!
My advice save up your money to buy the Original Prusa MK2S or MK3
Fair enough, I'll hold back on my purchase for a while, thanks!!