What kind of projects would you like to see next?

Got suggestions, feedback, praise, etc.? Post it here!
johnweland

Re: What kind of projects would you like to see next?

Post by johnweland » Fri May 13, 2016 12:53 pm

Robvp wrote:The problem with the Pi 3 for portables is that it uses up too much juice and generates more heat.

Home consoles are more likely to happen but those are a dime a dozen

I recently saw a usb hub for the pi zero that add 3 usb and a wifi chip its the same size as the pi zero.

I wouldn't mind a Pi3 handheld maybe between the vita and Wii U controller size (no bigger that Wii U controller) that can be docked so it goes from handheld to console.

wermy
Site Admin

Post by wermy » Fri May 13, 2016 3:27 pm

johnweland wrote: I wouldn't mind a Pi3 handheld maybe between the vita and Wii U controller size (no bigger that Wii U controller) that can be docked so it goes from handheld to console.
A Wii-U controller build is something I've actually really wanted to do. :D I'd likely use a pi 2 or an Odroid for it though. Pi 3 gets way too hot and would make for pretty terrible battery life. :\
ImageImageImageImage

crispy_tofu

Post by crispy_tofu » Fri May 13, 2016 5:01 pm

A Wii U controller build would be awesome. :D
The only problem is that you need a Wii U controller to make one, and they're not particularly cheap right now... :cry:

Apparently this guy had the same idea, but I wonder if he ever completed it...
https://www.element14.com/community/thr ... hread=true

wermy
Site Admin

Post by wermy » Fri May 13, 2016 5:05 pm

crispy_tofu wrote:A Wii U controller build would be awesome. :D
The only problem is that you need a Wii U controller to make one, and they're not particularly cheap right now... :cry:

Apparently this guy had the same idea, but I wonder if he ever completed it...
https://www.element14.com/community/thr ... hread=true
Well, you can get ones with broken screens for $50-ish on ebay. So not too bad when you consider you're getting really nice controls and an enclosure, too.
ImageImageImageImage

Wong A Donger

Post by Wong A Donger » Fri May 13, 2016 6:00 pm

Hey all,

I've actually been taking Wermy's tutorials as inspiration and modifying them slightly to fit my needs. I don't have plans for a X and Y button at them moment, but the GBA motherboard has been fairly easy to work with for the most part. The issue I've run into is finding a screen that works. So far my plan is to modify the front of the case to be able to house the 3.5" backup monitor.

wermy
Site Admin

Post by wermy » Fri May 13, 2016 6:19 pm

Wong A Donger wrote:Hey all,

I've actually been taking Wermy's tutorials as inspiration and modifying them slightly to fit my needs. I don't have plans for a X and Y button at them moment, but the GBA motherboard has been fairly easy to work with for the most part. The issue I've run into is finding a screen that works. So far my plan is to modify the front of the case to be able to house the 3.5" backup monitor
Nice! Want to start a thread in the other projects section? Lots of people have asked about doing GBA. :)
ImageImageImageImage

kain147

Post by kain147 » Fri May 13, 2016 6:24 pm

wermy wrote:
Wong A Donger wrote:Hey all,

I've actually been taking Wermy's tutorials as inspiration and modifying them slightly to fit my needs. I don't have plans for a X and Y button at them moment, but the GBA motherboard has been fairly easy to work with for the most part. The issue I've run into is finding a screen that works. So far my plan is to modify the front of the case to be able to house the 3.5" backup monitor
Nice! Want to start a thread in the other projects section? Lots of people have asked about doing GBA. :)
+1, I would definitely appreciate a thread on this! My first Gameboy was the GBA and I still have it, but the battery leads have been damaged by acid so I've been wanting to mod it with a Pi0. Would really appreciate a guide, since I've never done any hardware type mods (ever! so thanks for the inspiration Wermy :) )

johnweland

Post by johnweland » Fri May 13, 2016 8:23 pm

wermy wrote:
Well, you can get ones with broken screens for $50-ish on ebay. So not too bad when you consider you're getting really nice controls and an enclosure, too.
If you could do it right, using the official pi display would be an awesome addition to this idea.

johnweland

Post by johnweland » Fri May 13, 2016 8:26 pm

as far as the pi3 getting hot, in an enclosure of that size some pretty hefty passive cooling could be done.

Kurai Kitsune

Post by Kurai Kitsune » Sat May 14, 2016 4:39 am

How about the original PSP 1000?
I've taken my old one apart, removed the UMD drive, and there seems to be quite a bit of space there for a Pi Zero.
The circuitry is much smaller than the GB of course