What kind of projects would you like to see next?

Got suggestions, feedback, praise, etc.? Post it here!
Ganreizu

Re: What kind of projects would you like to see next?

Post by Ganreizu » Wed May 11, 2016 11:39 am

CandyManCriminal wrote:i also think it'd be cool to have a way for user to submit their own tutorials/projects
I think the wiki will cover that.

chris

Post by chris » Wed May 11, 2016 5:28 pm

johnweland wrote:I'd like to see an original GBA style build (but with A,B,X,Y buttons) Image

I have a Pi Zero sitting here and a spare case for the GBA as I replaced the shell of my GBA a while back.
I would also like to see a tutorial on doing a GBA version.

IF you could somehow make an easy to follow tutorial to fit it in a GBA SP, I would like that even more, but that looks like it would be a crazy challenge for even an advanced builder.

Other projects, I would like to see a PS2 slim console using a larger, easier to find Pi that maybe uses PS2 controllers using the original ports (if possible/easy, otherwise USB controller ports are cool).

I'd like to see a custom arcade style build with joysticks and big arcade buttons.

dirtybeagles

Post by dirtybeagles » Wed May 11, 2016 7:14 pm

I have an old ion icade and I wanted to build a small arcade machine, but if you do not have one laying around it would be kind of a pain probably to grab one.

Here is an example of someone else's mod:
maxresdefault.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg (63.75 KiB) Viewed 15301 times

wermy
Site Admin

Post by wermy » Wed May 11, 2016 7:21 pm

dirtybeagles wrote:I have an old ion icade and I wanted to build a small arcade machine, but if you do not have one laying around it would be kind of a pain probably to grab one.

Here is an example of someone else's mod: maxresdefault.jpg
Heh, an ion iCade to PiCade conversion was one of the first Raspberry Pi projects I did - it's sitting in my office right behind me. :)
ImageImageImageImage

crispy_tofu

Post by crispy_tofu » Wed May 11, 2016 8:07 pm

I'm also interested in a GBA style build, but yeah the XY buttons are nearly impossible to place. The only possible way I can think of is probably to put the holes below the AB buttons, but that'll go through the speaker grille. Otherwise, you could put them on the back of the GBA but they might not be very nice to use... :?

wermy
Site Admin

Post by wermy » Wed May 11, 2016 8:18 pm

crispy_tofu wrote:I'm also interested in a GBA style build, but yeah the XY buttons are nearly impossible to place. The only possible way I can think of is probably to put the holes below the AB buttons, but that'll go through the speaker grille. Otherwise, you could put them on the back of the GBA but they might not be very nice to use... :?
Hmm. One thing I did for the MintyPi was get a broken DS Lite on ebay for a few bucks, and use a dremel to cut out the face buttons and D-pad, since I didn't trust myself to cut a nice enough D-pad cross and 4 face button holes out of acrylic. Could maybe do something like that here too: cut a circular hole and use the buttons from a DS Lite. Here's what I mean:
IMG_3034.JPG
IMG_3034.JPG (327.79 KiB) Viewed 15290 times
ImageImageImageImage

crispy_tofu

Post by crispy_tofu » Wed May 11, 2016 8:22 pm

Interesting, do you have any dimensions for the DS lite D-Pad? I have a GBA housing, maybe we can see if it'll fit. :)

wermy
Site Admin

Post by wermy » Wed May 11, 2016 8:25 pm

crispy_tofu wrote:Interesting, do you have any dimensions for the DS lite D-Pad? I have a GBA housing, maybe we can see if it'll fit. :)
The circular parts I cut out are right at 3cm in diameter. It's ugly as sin, but it actually works pretty well. :D
ImageImageImageImage

johnweland

Post by johnweland » Wed May 11, 2016 8:42 pm

Robvp wrote: I've been interested in this one but I don't see where I could put x and y buttons, the buttons are centered in an area that doesn't leave comfortable room for the other buttons.

There's a gba clone with the x and y buttons but getting one will set you back from 75 to 100 bucks just so you can use that housing

http://i0.wp.com/obscurehandhelds.com/w ... 250861.jpg

$29.99 for the case if you only need that.

http://www.k1gbasp.com/revo-k101-plus-c ... -p-86.html

crispy_tofu

Post by crispy_tofu » Thu May 12, 2016 12:18 am

@wermy

It looks to be a bit too big for the GBA case, unless it cuts into the screen bezel...