Image as attachments?

Got suggestions, feedback, praise, etc.? Post it here!
Robots86

Image as attachments?

Post by Robots86 » Thu May 05, 2016 4:49 am

Whats the best way to post images? Am i ok using the attachment option or would i need to host them elsewhere and link with img?

wermy
Site Admin

Re: Image as attachments?

Post by wermy » Thu May 05, 2016 7:20 am

You are fine to use the attachment option. I just checked and some file-size limitations were set to ridiculously low defaults (like 256kb per attachment) so if you were having problems before give it a try now. :)
ImageImageImageImage

crispy_tofu

Post by crispy_tofu » Thu May 05, 2016 7:23 am

In another forum I frequent, the general consensus is to use image hosting sites such as imgur to reduce the admin's server load, or compress the image such that it won't take up much space on a server - unless it's a rare schematic or something, because it doesn't hurt to have backups.
However, this is still wermy's decision, so just my 2c. :D

Ganreizu

Post by Ganreizu » Thu May 05, 2016 10:55 am

crispy_tofu wrote:In another forum I frequent, the general consensus is to use image hosting sites such as imgur to reduce the admin's server load, or compress the image such that it won't take up much space on a server - unless it's a rare schematic or something, because it doesn't hurt to have backups.
However, this is still wermy's decision, so just my 2c. :D
Yeah i do this by default as well. No reason to have wermy pay more and more for server costs because we end up uploading massive quantities and sizes of images.

wermy
Site Admin

Post by wermy » Thu May 05, 2016 11:12 am

Well, my hosting isn't blazing fast but it is unlimited. So no worries about me paying more and more -- that shouldn't happen. :)
ImageImageImageImage

Thatbraziliann

Post by Thatbraziliann » Thu May 05, 2016 1:06 pm

I have tried to host images on another site and just add it using HTML or add URls using HTML but for some reason only the code will show up and not the link or image? Since we switched to new forum I have been experiencing this problem. Any Suggestions?

Post by 1461748123 » Thu May 05, 2016 3:48 pm

Thatbraziliann wrote:I have tried to host images on another site and just add it using HTML or add URls using HTML but for some reason only the code will show up and not the link or image? Since we switched to new forum I have been experiencing this problem. Any Suggestions?
Use imgur.com!

crispy_tofu

Post by crispy_tofu » Thu May 05, 2016 3:52 pm

1461748123 wrote:
Thatbraziliann wrote:I have tried to host images on another site and just add it using HTML or add URls using HTML but for some reason only the code will show up and not the link or image? Since we switched to new forum I have been experiencing this problem. Any Suggestions?
Use imgur.com!
Definitely. Practically unlimited, anonymous, what's not to like?
wermy wrote:Well, my hosting isn't blazing fast but it is unlimited. So no worries about me paying more and more -- that shouldn't happen. :)
That's great, leaving a lot of room for expansion. ;)

Ganreizu

Post by Ganreizu » Fri May 06, 2016 12:02 pm

crispy_tofu wrote:
Use imgur.com!
Well...

In the past i have uploaded to imgur and several months later they replaced my image with NSFW content...created a few problems for the site i linked the image to as their advertising was with google i think which was extremely sensitive to stuff like that. It risked having their ad revenue cut off.

Clearly wermy doesn't have to deal with that yet though. :P

crispy_tofu

Post by crispy_tofu » Fri May 06, 2016 4:51 pm

Ganreizu wrote:
crispy_tofu wrote:
Use imgur.com!
Well...

In the past i have uploaded to imgur and several months later they replaced my image with NSFW content...created a few problems for the site i linked the image to as their advertising was with google i think which was extremely sensitive to stuff like that. It risked having their ad revenue cut off.

Clearly wermy doesn't have to deal with that yet though. :P
That's really weird, because it was my understanding that the pictures never expire, so they can't be replaced. Hopefully that won't happen here... :shock: