VMU32 [Abandoned]

Show off your completed VMµ, or post your build logs here!
smoki86

VMU32 [Abandoned]

Post by smoki86 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:34 pm

I now have two perfectly working VMU's.

- 1 with satri360 AIO and his 160x128 OLED and a small extra module to stick to it to do external charging
- 1 with satri360's button PCB and a great 240x240 LCD but not much else in there. This one will get the expansion header once our electronics guy can solder them for me under a microscope. It also needs a new case (messed up the back) and a case for its charging/boost module.

So, why not use an ESP32 ? I got a nice almost AIO here (smaller than the zero and including lipo charger, 4MB Flash).
Software is going to be interesting. There is a nice SDK open source from the PocketSprite which includes some fancy features like a file system and WLAN file upload. Thats not going to fully work on this 4MB board but worth looking into.

Then there is at least the nespresso build for the ESP32 which has the display driver built in. As far as I can see its not going to be hard to modify that to run the ST7789V.

So lets try this :)
ComponentsShow
vmu32.jpg
vmu32.jpg (168.67 KiB) Viewed 8225 times
Last edited by smoki86 on Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Re: VMU32 [Planning]

Post by Helder » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:20 pm

I have one of those modules here, the thing that needs to be done it setup some kind of loading from an SD card then it's a good alternative.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

smoki86

Re: VMU32 [Planning]

Post by smoki86 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:42 pm

Yeah absolutely. I am fine with flashing just the one NES or hopefully GB (apart from the gnuboy port in pocketsprite which relies on the SDK I cant find any emulator yet) game that I currently want to play. Maybe I can get PocketSprites fs to run, maybe adding some QSPI memory.

I will start with the MVP approach tough :)
Given that the PI fits just fine this is just a more useless version of the other VMU's, but maybe it gives me a bit of extra battery life, we will see. And as soon as I get my hands on a even smaller module I want to put ESP32's in even smaller things (tamagotchi =D).

EDIT: or add a small python script to the zero VMU that you can run from ES which lets you select one of the games on there and flash it over USB or WIFI :)

superman

Re: VMU32 [Abandoned]

Post by superman » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:37 am

So lets try this
Did you ever finish this.