[SOLVED] Pocket PI FE mounting problems. Back button board/Main PCB

ekilla

[SOLVED] Pocket PI FE mounting problems. Back button board/Main PCB

Post by ekilla » Sat May 04, 2019 3:46 am

Hi,

this first part is only for others, facing the same: I really was struggeling mounting the main PCB until I discovered I had to cut some more parts from the case to make it fit way better. Still, the screenn doesn´t sit 100% parrallel to the case. I kind of hate that but I think I can´t solve it. Will make the best possible out of it.
I had to cut more from the case for a bigger opening for the volume wheel and I had to cut some more for the Charging port as well as at the bottom, pins from the headphone jack where hitting parts of the back half of the case.

But my main problem now is the back button board and it´s 3D parts. There is no guide for it, the section on Bluubs guide is empty and Wermy used his own parts and buttons for his Youtube video.

So here we go. There are two brackets supposed to hold the back board I assume.
I can use them in one or the other direction. If I use them the way the board sits closer to the case, the conductive rubber can´t fit anymore between the button and the board. But that way, the third 3D part that can be used for a magnet holding a cartridge can fit on top of it. For me it looks like it´s meant to use it that way. But as said I can´t get any rubber beneath.

If I turn it upside down the rubber fits in between, there is even a little too much space. But that way I can´t use the Magnet part anymore.

Either I´m completely stupid, not seeing how these are supposed to be used, or these board brackets where originaly meant for other buttons like taktile switches or so.

#1 that way I have no space for the rubber but for the magnet bracket:
1.jpg
1.jpg (122.83 KiB) Viewed 6089 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (97.24 KiB) Viewed 6089 times
#2 The other way I can only fit the rubber but no magnet bracket:
3.jpg
3.jpg (158.21 KiB) Viewed 6089 times
Any suggestions?

@Bluub ?

Oh and there are no buttons wells for these back buttons. Not necessarily need but maybe a nice addon for the future.
Last edited by ekilla on Wed May 08, 2019 5:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

ekilla

Re: Pocket PI FE mounting problems. Back button board/Main PCB

Post by ekilla » Sat May 04, 2019 4:07 am

Oh and I just recognized using it the second way with rubber in between doesn´t work. I can´t close the case anymore, the back button PCB touches the PI.
4.jpg
4.jpg (111.55 KiB) Viewed 6081 times

KonnorJ

Post by KonnorJ » Sat May 04, 2019 9:39 am

Your 3d parts are the wrong way round. Then both of these the raised part is on the back

ekilla

Post by ekilla » Sat May 04, 2019 10:02 am

KonnorJ wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 9:39 am
Your 3d parts are the wrong way round. Then both of these the raised part is on the back
Thanks, nice to know. How do I get the right ones? I ordered a kit they came that way.
I have no access to a 3D printer.

KonnorJ

Post by KonnorJ » Sat May 04, 2019 11:00 am

They are the right ones, they are the wrong way round, turn it so the raised part is at the back

ekilla

Post by ekilla » Sat May 04, 2019 12:07 pm

KonnorJ wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 11:00 am
They are the right ones, they are the wrong way round, turn it so the raised part is at the back
Hi Konnor, thanks again.
I feel sort of stupid, but I don't get it.
They have a smal Slot were the PCB fits in. I can't turn them around and still use this slot? That's the only way they can hold the board.

Besides of that, flupping around like just put the right side to the left doesn't change anything, because both brackets are the same.
On the picture one has the raised part facing the camera and the other one has the raised part facing away from camera. If I flipp them, it's still the same.

ekilla

Post by ekilla » Sat May 04, 2019 12:11 pm

Screenshot_2019-05-04-20-08-50.png
Screenshot_2019-05-04-20-08-50.png (1.1 MiB) Viewed 6052 times

Bluup

Post by Bluup » Sat May 04, 2019 1:14 pm

Hey! Let's see what we can do :). These are GalaxyGaming's new awesome brackets and I'm sure he's in the process of updating his guide on how to use them but let's work it out for now.

So firstly, it does look like unfortunately the headphone socket plastic nibs were left on, and you are right, snipping them off is the way to go.
As for the screen, there are some plastic tabs on the side of them that are present from the manufacturers. Not everyone feels comfortable trimming these off. I personally use these:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Electrical-Cab ... B01M1HD81C
Now, the alternative, is just trimming down a little of the plastic inside the shell, around the screen. This tends to be a bit trial and error as some shells fit better than others. But it is the little tabs on the side of the screen that are hitting the shell and making the screen not sit flush, once this is addressed, it will fit flush.

I have a photo of the back bracket that GG sent me, hopefully this will clear things up!
SpoilerShow

KonnorJ

Post by KonnorJ » Sat May 04, 2019 1:38 pm

Yea in that photo you sent ekilla, that's how they are meant to be

ekilla

Post by ekilla » Sat May 04, 2019 2:24 pm

Hey Guys, thank you.

ok, that´s the way I can´t fit the rubber in between.
If I put them in and put the bracket in place (completely down), the buttons are pressed all the time.

But wait, I see that the lower, not raised part of your bracket sits flush to the sides from the cartridge slot.
mine don´t do that. Ok they don´t do that if I push the bracket all the way down to the back of the case.
I´m not sure, looks like yours is not pushed down completely. Do they need to be glued to the sides to stay that far away from the back?
Looks like thats it.
7.jpg
7.jpg (130.17 KiB) Viewed 6021 times

For the case:
The pins from the headphone jack already where trimmed, but they hit some small parts of the case anyways.
Maybe cutting the pins a little more had worked too, but I decided to cut the case. Making the pins shorter required me to cut into the solder point and I didn´t want that. But yes, they are a little longer than others.
SpoilerShow
5.jpg
5.jpg (41.24 KiB) Viewed 6021 times
SpoilerShow
6.jpg
6.jpg (140.56 KiB) Viewed 6021 times
The plastic tabs of the screen where a problem at first since they are not mentioned in the guide. But I saw Wermy cut them in his video, so I did it too an it fit way better after that. I used exactly the kind of cutter you posted, that worked great. Mine is about 20 years old but still works. :)
I still had to make the volume wheel opening bigger since the wheel scratched on the case an pushed the whole back half of the case a little to the side. After that everything fit.

One more thing to mention regarding the guide. There it says to put in the small screen bracket with the notch on top of the screen opening. No Problem.
But it says too, the other long part without a notch should be at them bottom of the opening, so one is above (with the notch) and one is below the screen (without the notch). But no matter what I tried the non notch part can´t go below the screen, it´s just to big.
The guide pictures only show the upper bracket too, non on the bottom. And Wermy seems to have used that part for glueing the magnet into the cartridge. And he made own smaller and tiny brackets for below the screen.
SpoilerShow
8.jpg
8.jpg (128.13 KiB) Viewed 6021 times
SpoilerShow
9.jpg
9.jpg (55.82 KiB) Viewed 6021 times
SpoilerShow
10.jpg
10.jpg (60.46 KiB) Viewed 6021 times
So they guide maybe should get an overhaul in general. :)