DMG-01 Buzzing noise

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
Rod2D2

DMG-01 Buzzing noise

Post by Rod2D2 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:14 am

Hey Everyone,
I purchased a second DMG-01 gameboy with a broken screen from someone on craigslist with a damaged non-working screen and pretty beat up/dirty case. When I powered it on it seems to be making a buzzing noise from the speaker no matter how high or low the volume is. The same thing can be heard when I use headphones. I do hear the Gameboy chime sound so I know its working (with the exception of the screen and damaged case).

Does anyone know if the humming or buzzing sound is something that will remain an issue if I use the headphone jack or possibly the volume wheel? or is caused by something unrelated. I'm trying to determine if I should use these parts at all.

FreddySalted

Re: DMG-01 Buzzing noise

Post by FreddySalted » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:23 am

The buzzing will be caused either by the DMG's amp, cpu or sound chip. Using the headphone jack, speaker and volume wheel will not be an issue as the buzzing sound has to be made somewhere "upstream" of the outputs

DirtyBullets

Re: DMG-01 Buzzing noise

Post by DirtyBullets » Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:35 pm

Common problem with DMG 1's is the dirty volume wheel, just flick the wheel up and down fast to clean the carbon it has built up over the years or replace the vol switch.