Recommended Adhesive for Clear Glass Shield

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
RxBrad

Recommended Adhesive for Clear Glass Shield

Post by RxBrad » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:02 am

I bought the non-adhesive clear glass shield from Kitsch-Bent, and was wondering if anyone had good recommendations for some transparent adhesive to stick it on the GBZ...
Image Image

Camble

Re: Recommended Adhesive for Clear Glass Shield

Post by Camble » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:17 am

Try some 3M phone tape. It's used in mobile phones to keep the screens fixed in place.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/3M-Adhesive-Ta ... phone+tape

Ganreizu

Post by Ganreizu » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:22 am

Camble wrote:Try some 3M phone tape. It's used in mobile phones to keep the screens fixed in place.
Not really the most aesthetic solution is it? I used krazy glue the first time but it dried white and wasn't very strong given there wasn't any of the original bezel left to adequately support it. I ordered some Goop on recommendation of @dirtybeagles since apparently it dries clear and should be much more sturdy.

Camble

Post by Camble » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:25 am

@Ganreizu It's double-sided tape designed specifically for fixing clear screens down. On that note, if the screen protector is completely clear (with no painted border) then tape is probably not the best solution.

I would definitely avoid cyanoacrylates, though.

RxBrad

Post by RxBrad » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:45 am

This is the completely clear screen protector. I have 3M tape, and was planning on using it to stick my LCD to the inside of the case, but don't think it'd be the best choice for the clear glass shield.

I'll give the Goop a try. Sounds like it should do the trick. Thanks!
Image Image

Camble

Post by Camble » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:53 am

@RxBrad @Ganreizu If you really want it to be perfectly clear, you want LOCA. (Liquid Optically Clear Adhesive) It's used for LCD repair and is the stuff people use when adding a front light to the GBA and it's amazingly clear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXQJAZINRkE

Ganreizu

Post by Ganreizu » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:55 pm

Camble wrote:@RxBrad @Ganreizu If you really want it to be perfectly clear, you want LOCA. (Liquid Optically Clear Adhesive) It's used for LCD repair and is the stuff people use when adding a front light to the GBA and it's amazingly clear.
Holy this stuff is expensive...

I'll take your word for it though. I'll test the goop that i get to see exactly how clear it is when it dries.

Rod2D2

Post by Rod2D2 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:18 pm

Ganreizu wrote:
Camble wrote:@RxBrad @Ganreizu If you really want it to be perfectly clear, you want LOCA. (Liquid Optically Clear Adhesive) It's used for LCD repair and is the stuff people use when adding a front light to the GBA and it's amazingly clear.
Holy this stuff is expensive...

I'll take your word for it though. I'll test the goop that i get to see exactly how clear it is when it dries.
Look it up on eBay. They have a bunch of cheap options there

Camble

Post by Camble » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:03 pm

Yea, that stuff looks like it's expensive because you cure it with UV light. The regular stuff is only a few quid.

Ganreizu

Post by Ganreizu » Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:42 pm

Camble wrote:Yea, that stuff looks like it's expensive because you cure it with UV light. The regular stuff is only a few quid.
Can i get a link? I got the HHL link because that's what the guy in the video suggested. I know you only linked that video to explain what the substance was, though, so i don't really know how to find appropriate stuff.

Edit: The cheaper version was in the same comment. Silly me. :p Here it is

To be clear though (hehe) i'm not going to be looking through the glue into the screen so transparency isn't suuper important, so long as it's somewhat clear and not really messy once dried then it'll be fine for me. The most important part really is how strong of a bond it is. I'm currently testing the stuff i got in the mail so i'll see how strong the bond is on that before i wait longer and get some LOCA. The goop is pretty...goopy (thick, kind of hard to deal with) but that was without using the thin nozzle. I'm sure it will be fine but we'll see.