[Guide] Audio-/Headphone Jack Information Thread

Various user-contributed guides for hardware-related things
Fleder

Re: [Guide] Audio-/Headphone Jack Information Thread

Post by Fleder » Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:44 am

alien0matic wrote:Trying to get the speaker working with the original headphone jack. But there is no signal on both outputs. I measured the resistence on both outputs and there is no connection between input and output. Any advice?
With or without a headphone plugged in?
Try to measure where you have connections without a headphone.

alien0matic

Post by alien0matic » Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:46 am

The two right pins are connected with each other if there is no headphone in and get disconnected with a headphone.

Fleder

Post by Fleder » Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:30 am

alien0matic wrote:The two right pins are connected with each other if there is no headphone in and get disconnected with a headphone.
Which two pins?
Those two, or those two or this one and this one? Or do you mean those guys here?

alien0matic

Post by alien0matic » Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:28 am

Fleder wrote:
alien0matic wrote:The two right pins are connected with each other if there is no headphone in and get disconnected with a headphone.
Which two pins?
Those two, or those two or this one and this one? Or do you mean those guys here?
The two pins on the RIGHT. Thats why I put "right" in the sentence. (edit: that came out pretty harsh and I realised that you might have read 'right' as 'correct' not as the direction it was meant to be. Sorry for that)
The pins you labelled 3 and 4 are connected to each other when there is no headphone in the jack. They get disconnected when you insert a headphone.
There is no "Right Out" or "Left Out" on the original headphone jack I have.

Fleder

Post by Fleder » Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:32 am

alien0matic wrote:The two pins on the RIGHT. Thats why I put "right" in the sentence. (edit: that came out pretty harsh and I realised that you might have read 'right' as 'correct' not as the direction it was meant to be. Sorry for that)
The pins you labelled 3 and 4 are connected to each other when there is no headphone in the jack. They get disconnected when you insert a headphone.
There is no "Right Out" or "Left Out" on the original headphone jack I have.
"The two pins on the RIGHT" does not really say a lot, if you do not specify how you are looking at the part in front of you.
So using the specified Pin Numbers from the beginning would have been more helpful.
I can't see the way you have placed this part in front of you so no idea which pins are right from you.

So, you look at the part the same way pictured in the OP, with the pins facing you and the input pointing at you?
That is strange, i will test out my second gameboy, when i get home to make sure this is valid.
But if you have 5 pins, there is a Right Out and Left Out, you just might have other pin layouts.

You could simply use a 3,5mm Audio cable and cut the end that would go into a headphone or something and use a DMM to test the pins.
This way you can find out which pins are LI, LO, RI and RO.

But i will check mine again later that day.

alien0matic

Post by alien0matic » Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:20 pm

I did use a DMM, I inserted a headphone into the jack and I measured continuity on all pins. There are NO output pins.
The pins you labeled with 1, 2 and 5 are correct to be ground, left in and right in. But there is NO continuity betweent pin 3 and pins 1,2 or 5. Same goes for pin 4.
But there IS a connection between 3 and 4. The connection is cut when the headphone is inserted.
Have a look into this thread: http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=197
He connected the input pins (2 and 5) to pin 4 and pin 3 to the speaker. I did something similar, I have stereo sound connected to the jack and forward right to Pin 3.

I only have this image, everything else is blurry. Green is left, yellow is right, black is ground. White goes to the speaker. The jack is in the same orientation as in your image. This way everything works as expected.
[spoiler="wiring image"]
IMG_20160807_130332.jpg
IMG_20160807_130332.jpg (149.53 KiB) Viewed 11955 times
[/spoiler]

Camble

Post by Camble » Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:01 pm

On the original DMG jack, pins 1 and 4 are the same.

Fleder

Post by Fleder » Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:15 am

That is strange.
You tested this with a desoldered Audio Jack, right?
Because if it is still soldered onto the little board, it does affect the pins.

I measured mine again and can confirm my original pinout in the OP, but i will test the second original Jack tomorrow to be sure.
Here is my wiring - Method BShow
Last edited by Fleder on Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

alien0matic

Post by alien0matic » Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:17 am

Yes, it is a desoldered connector. I'm lost now, seems like I've missed something important. In my understanding of your suggested pinout, you are connecting "right in" to "right out". My understanding of you pinout was: whatever I feed into "right in" comes out at "right out". In my eyes, your wiring diagram objects your pinout.

Fleder

Post by Fleder » Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:25 am

alien0matic wrote:Yes, it is a desoldered connector. I'm lost now, seems like I've missed something important. In my understanding of your suggested pinout, you are connecting "right in" to "right out". My understanding of you pinout was: whatever I feed into "right in" comes out at "right out". In my eyes, your wiring diagram objects your pinout.
What i do is this:
I send my audio on both inputs (left and right) because most emulators do only have mono, so no use for stereo.
This is why i connect pins 2 & 5 (L and R Input).
Left out (pin 3) leads to the Speaker, so if no Headphones are plugged in, the circuit is closed and there is output to pin 3 to speaker.
If you plug in headphones, the circuit to pin 3 is opened and redirected from input to the 3,5mm headphone jack.
Right out (pin 4) is always "supplied" with audio, but if there are no headphones connected, no one cares.
So, you do get mono on both headphone earpieces with this and if not connected, mono output on speaker.

It works in my setup, so no idea why yours will not. You either did mix something up or you have a different audio jack.
Which means nintendo made 2 different ones. That would be unfortunate.

If you have the time, you could try to wire it like i did and see if it works.