Cost Breakdown for GB Zero - USA Based

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
Kilren

Cost Breakdown for GB Zero - USA Based

Post by Kilren » Wed May 11, 2016 5:33 pm

Hey guys,

I've been lurking and possibly even creeping for a few days since I caught wind of this on the RPi forums. This project is amazing, and Wermy is the man.

There have been a few parts lists compiled (one by Wermy himself), but they all lack cost information. My hope isn't to deter anyone, but instead to give an easy straight forward resource for the cost expectancy in jumping into this project.

I tried to ignore taxes, as they are primarily dependent on location. I also tried to stick to reputable sources such as adafruit and amazon. I do realize that there have been different results with sellers at amazon, so use discretion.

Please, if you know of a reputable source that regularly has things in stock with quality products, let me know and I'll update the spread sheet.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Remember that this is a guide for getting an idea of cost, there are a LOT of choices to choose from that make it either more or less expensive depending on what you want to accomplish.
Last edited by Kilren on Wed May 11, 2016 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cannikin

Re: Cost Breakdown for GB Zero - USA Based

Post by Cannikin » Wed May 11, 2016 6:51 pm

Awesome! One question: what's "PCB Board Controller"? It just links to the forums homepage which doesn't help me find it. :)

dirtybeagles

Post by dirtybeagles » Wed May 11, 2016 7:17 pm

Cannikin wrote:Awesome! One question: what's "PCB Board Controller"? It just links to the forums homepage which doesn't help me find it. :)
It is just a custom made board. like a mother board, but in this case they are making them for this project here: http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=28

Kilren

Post by Kilren » Wed May 11, 2016 7:27 pm

dirtybeagles wrote:
Cannikin wrote:Awesome! One question: what's "PCB Board Controller"? It just links to the forums homepage which doesn't help me find it. :)
It is just a custom made board. like a mother board, but in this case they are making them for this project here: http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=28
Dirtybeagles has it right. I did take a couple of things out of context and did not mention it. I am not using an original Gameboy DMG like Wermy used. Instead, I am using modern replications. One of the biggest problems that creates is that Wermy uses certain parts in the original system that then have to be replaced if you don't buy a "parts-only" or even a functioning GB (don't use a functioning GB, send it to me and I'll find you a parts only in return!).

3y3c0ugh

Post by 3y3c0ugh » Wed May 11, 2016 7:28 pm

Kitsch-Bent has a lot of great stuff over on their website! You should check it out you could add the controller PCB to that list, as well as a cartridge breakout board and a clear plastic case.

Cartridge Options:
Cartridge Breakout
Clear Cartridge Shell

PCB Options:
PCB with [A,B,X,Y,L1,L2,R1,R2]
Original PCB [A,B]
My Website Main Page | MAME Section of my Site | 3y3c0ugh's GBZ Experience

"There are only 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't."

Kilren

Post by Kilren » Wed May 11, 2016 7:31 pm

As for that GB shell, I don't have firsthand experience with it. I am in the process of contacting the seller and getting one to review (just learned that I have one in the mail). I'll leave a detailed review on their amazon page, as well as here. Stay posted. I'll let you know how long shipping takes, how it compares to an OEM copy, etc.

Kilren

Post by Kilren » Wed May 11, 2016 7:41 pm

3y3c0ugh wrote:Kitsch-Bent has a lot of great stuff over on their website! You should check it out you could add the controller PCB to that list, as well as a cartridge breakout board and a clear plastic case.

Cartridge Options:
Cartridge Breakout
Clear Cartridge Shell

PCB Options:
PCB with [A,B,X,Y,L1,L2,R1,R2]
Original PCB [A,B]
I was aware of Kitsch-Bent, but I knew some of the current members of this forum were also doing the same things. For example, I have a PCB board listed on my costs at the cost that Helder is selling them at. I prefer to list an active member over a store front when given a choice.

That breakout board can definitely go on the list (if they get them back in stock), but I hesitate including that cartridge because even though I am not using official OEM parts, I am attempting to get a replica as close as possible, therefore prefer the gray over the clear.

Thanks for the input!

Edit: I just realized that Kitsch-Bent is also on this forum. I have no allegiance or affiliation with either him or Helder. I just happened to find Helder first, and listed him accordingly. Great thing about this project is that you can make it into whatever you desire.

tinkerBOY

Post by tinkerBOY » Mon May 14, 2018 10:05 pm

I have several boards ranging from simple to semi-AIO boards.

tinkerBOY Controller v1.1
IMG_0396.JPG
IMG_0396.JPG (1.84 MiB) Viewed 5791 times
tinkerBOY Controller v1.2
IMG_0399.JPG
IMG_0399.JPG (1.74 MiB) Viewed 5791 times
IMG_0409.JPG
IMG_0409.JPG (1.86 MiB) Viewed 5791 times
IMG_0411.JPG
IMG_0411.JPG (283.98 KiB) Viewed 5791 times
IMG_0414.JPG
IMG_0414.JPG (365.32 KiB) Viewed 5791 times