D56: Gameboy Pi3

Show off your completed Game Boy Zero, or post your build logs here!
Camble

Re: D56: Gameboy Pi3

Post by Camble » Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:36 am

I'm loving that vent and cooling fan! What did you use as a heat spreader? It looks like it's from another CPU.

DirtyBullets

Post by DirtyBullets » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:12 pm

Laegnur wrote:Could you explain how you wired the button leds, please?
As requested :mrgreen:

DirtyBullets

Post by DirtyBullets » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:16 pm

Camble wrote:I'm loving that vent and cooling fan! What did you use as a heat spreader? It looks like it's from another CPU.
Its just the heat spreadder from a faulty ESC from banggood for quadcopters. :mrgreen:

bpempire86

Post by bpempire86 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:31 pm

Hello there, new to the forums. I started with the pi zero project but decided to divert to this halfway through, so got a pi 3 model b. Got a bunch of games working for ps1 sega etc. Had pretty much everything wired up and working ok. Have an issue now though...

Got to the part where I had to remove components from the pi 3 and even then everything was fine. Removed the two USB, ethernet, and display ribbon ports and after soldering my USB hub I still had working controls. After that I took my Dremel and cut off part of the pi board as suggested - the part where the two USB ports and ethernet jack used to be. However now I cant use controls or keyboard. Swapped hub with a single USB port but it still doesn't work.

Did some probing around. The ground pins still had continuity to ground on GPIO header. 5V however did not, so I gave the USB port 5V by another means. Kept green and white wires where USB port was and tested again, but controls still don't work.

Not sure what I did wrong. I cut exactly where I was supposed to. I guess my question is, is there another spot on the pi 3 board that I can hook up to get USB working or do I need to purchase another pi 3?

pixelplus

Post by pixelplus » Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:16 pm

might I ask what kind of glue/kit you are using? Seams more heavy duty than my 'ol gluegun :mrgreen:

Diegocorta

Post by Diegocorta » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:54 am

Hi everyone,

Im thinking on builidng a GameBoy Pi3 but I am running into some problems cause Im noob on this kind of mods and I need some help...

@DirtyBullets

Firstly I wonder if using a powerbank as a primary battery is perfectly safe, as they are designed to charge batteries and not for supplying power to an equipment I dont know if that can cause problems.

In case it is safe, I will be trying yo using this xiaomi powerbank: http://www.mobliephonefansclub.com/xiao ... sassembly/, what do you think guys?
The important thing about this battery is that it can be recharged with a 2A battery, which is way faster than the 1A from most powerbanks and also the PB1000C, the problem is that the Output is "just" 2.1A and I dont know if this is enough to power up the entier system (Raspberry recomend a 2.5A power supply)

At the moment my other question is related with the fan. @DirtyBullets does your Pi3 still have heat problems with that cooling system?? Do you have problema when closing the GB with that 10mm tall?? I have seen some 6.9mm tall fans that I may consider.

Sorry for my english and thanks for your help mates!

DirtyBullets

Post by DirtyBullets » Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:15 pm

Diegocorta wrote:Hi everyone,

Im thinking on builidng a GameBoy Pi3 but I am running into some problems cause Im noob on this kind of mods and I need some help...

@DirtyBullets

Firstly I wonder if using a powerbank as a primary battery is perfectly safe, as they are designed to charge batteries and not for supplying power to an equipment I dont know if that can cause problems.

In case it is safe, I will be trying yo using this xiaomi powerbank: http://www.mobliephonefansclub.com/xiao ... sassembly/, what do you think guys?
The important thing about this battery is that it can be recharged with a 2A battery, which is way faster than the 1A from most powerbanks and also the PB1000C, the problem is that the Output is "just" 2.1A and I dont know if this is enough to power up the entier system (Raspberry recomend a 2.5A power supply)

At the moment my other question is related with the fan. @DirtyBullets does your Pi3 still have heat problems with that cooling system?? Do you have problema when closing the GB with that 10mm tall?? I have seen some 6.9mm tall fans that I may consider.

Sorry for my english and thanks for your help mates!
Hello,

First off welcome and sorry for the late reply, (been busy with projects and painting my room lol)

the powerbank you lined is to large (in physical size) keep looking for a slimmer and smaller size battery bank,

So far i have no heat issues since adding a fan to it, i have paused this project since its having audio issues (buzzing noise) and keyboard is too sensitive but think i need to recode it to adjust the rebound rate to a longer time.

Good Luck and have fun :mrgreen:

DirtyBullets

Post by DirtyBullets » Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:19 pm

bpempire86 wrote:Hello there, new to the forums. I started with the pi zero project but decided to divert to this halfway through, so got a pi 3 model b. Got a bunch of games working for ps1 sega etc. Had pretty much everything wired up and working ok. Have an issue now though...

Got to the part where I had to remove components from the pi 3 and even then everything was fine. Removed the two USB, ethernet, and display ribbon ports and after soldering my USB hub I still had working controls. After that I took my Dremel and cut off part of the pi board as suggested - the part where the two USB ports and ethernet jack used to be. However now I cant use controls or keyboard. Swapped hub with a single USB port but it still doesn't work.

Did some probing around. The ground pins still had continuity to ground on GPIO header. 5V however did not, so I gave the USB port 5V by another means. Kept green and white wires where USB port was and tested again, but controls still don't work.

Not sure what I did wrong. I cut exactly where I was supposed to. I guess my question is, is there another spot on the pi 3 board that I can hook up to get USB working or do I need to purchase another pi 3?
sounds like you overheated the board and possible damaged the tracks, if you have a picture of its close up then i can see if i can see any issues,
i know you say you have tried a keyboard but remember to use a cheepo cos a pc gaming keyboard requires more amps than a cheepo and possible the RP3 can't supply it, try adding a usb hub with a power plug support and try again,

DirtyBullets

Post by DirtyBullets » Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:20 pm

pixelplus wrote:might I ask what kind of glue/kit you are using? Seams more heavy duty than my 'ol gluegun :mrgreen:
i am currently using black hot melt glue sticks

this is the supplier :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271651973025? ... EBIDX%3AIT

ABH

Post by ABH » Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:37 pm

The vent and cooling fan is really Awesome :o
I think I will do it with this fan after your Permission :mrgreen: :roll: :mrgreen: :roll:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/uxcell-DC-5V-Co ... Sw6n5XtLNZ