Gameboy raspberry pi cartage

Hardware-related questions that don't fit into any of the specialized hardware categories go here.
HUg0005

Gameboy raspberry pi cartage

Post by HUg0005 » Tue May 10, 2016 3:35 pm

Hi
I had an idea that maybe I could put the raspberry pi zero in a cartage then rewire the cartage slot so its a removable raspberry pi. So then I could keep the original internals of the gameboy colour (or color for Americans) and switch between the original gameboy colour and retropie. If you get what I mean.
I just wanted to know what your thoughts of this idea are and how I should go about wiring this.
Also if you can help wire the raspberry pi into the original gameboy colour screen cheack out my post.
http://sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=84

crispy_tofu

Re: Gameboy raspberry pi cartage

Post by crispy_tofu » Tue May 10, 2016 5:59 pm

Wow, that certainly seems novel. The only thing I can probably think of is to check that the cartridge has enough pins for all of the functions (screen/buttons etc.) :)

HUg0005

Post by HUg0005 » Wed May 11, 2016 12:07 am

crispy_tofu wrote:Wow, that certainly seems novel. The only thing I can probably think of is to check that the cartridge has enough pins for all of the functions (screen/buttons etc.) :)
This is why I'm asking about the screen. I want to keep the original gameboy colour intact so I can use it as a gameboy colour or i could plug in the raspberry pi zero and use it as a emulation machine.

crispy_tofu

Post by crispy_tofu » Wed May 11, 2016 1:15 am

HUg0005 wrote:
crispy_tofu wrote:Wow, that certainly seems novel. The only thing I can probably think of is to check that the cartridge has enough pins for all of the functions (screen/buttons etc.) :)
This is why I'm asking about the screen. I want to keep the original gameboy colour intact so I can use it as a gameboy colour or i could plug in the raspberry pi zero and use it as a emulation machine.
Hmm, but then how are you going to implement the switching between the GBC and the Pi Zero? Because they use the same cartridge slot, wouldn't they conflict?

Fleder

Post by Fleder » Wed May 11, 2016 1:26 am

You could route the cables through the side of the cartridge slot into the case, but i still think you will run out of space.
You may squeeze the RPi0 into a Cartridge, but what about the rest?
How do you intercept the button inputs that go to the GBC?
How about Sound, Video and all that stuff?

HUg0005

Post by HUg0005 » Wed May 11, 2016 3:18 pm

crispy_tofu wrote:
HUg0005 wrote:
Hmm, but then how are you going to implement the switching between the GBC and the Pi Zero? Because they use the same cartridge slot, wouldn't they conflict?
I was thinking of using relays to switch between the original connections and the raspberry pi connection. But space might be a problem. :?
Last edited by HUg0005 on Wed May 11, 2016 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HUg0005

Post by HUg0005 » Wed May 11, 2016 3:19 pm

Fleder wrote:You could route the cables through the side of the cartridge slot into the case, but i still think you will run out of space.
You may squeeze the RPi0 into a Cartridge, but what about the rest?
How do you intercept the button inputs that go to the GBC?
How about Sound, Video and all that stuff?
Intercepting the button would be a tricky one. I think I will just run a USB controller from the raspberry pi instead.

crispy_tofu

Post by crispy_tofu » Wed May 11, 2016 6:53 pm

That seems interesting, keep us updated! :)
In terms of size problems, you could probably use small SMD relays, there's no need to use ones for high power applications. :)

HUg0005

Post by HUg0005 » Wed May 11, 2016 11:55 pm

Anyone found any small relays? All the ones I have found are too big to fit.

crispy_tofu

Post by crispy_tofu » Thu May 12, 2016 12:29 am

HUg0005 wrote:Anyone found any small relays? All the ones I have found are too big to fit.
How big do you need them to be? :geek: