All in One PCB Support Thread

KaiKona808

Re: All in One PCB Support Thread

Post by KaiKona808 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:42 pm

Helder wrote:
KaiKona808 wrote:No luck this weekend with all the different testing. No matter how I wired it the Pi0 would not recognize the AIO.

So I have a new Pi0 coming in and a USBasp. I'm and hoping it is either I shorted the current Pi0 usb when I soldered the AIO to it (why did they make those pads so d@mn close) or maybe the AIO just needs reprogramming.
Hook it up to a pc and see if it's working there and if is then you might need to reinstall th OS. I just had someone with the same problem and he reinstalled the OS and it worked.

WiFi has been an issue yes but if you add the line of code a few posts up I made and the other line in the first post it should work.

The usb hub issue should be fixed on the new AIO 2.0 and as it is now a quick fix can't be done on the 1.4 boards.

I'm working on a work around and will have something maybe 2 weeks from now.

You can power the usb devices from the power strip as long as 5V and GND are all connected through the power strip.
Thanks Helder. I tested it on the pc a few days ago so I knew it wasn't the AIO. The pc recognized it. After my testing I figured I might have shorted something. I never considered reflashing the SD card....

BOOM! Reflashed and loaded a fresh Retro Pie image and the AIO was recognized!

Now to edit the .txt files with the codes and wire up a USB hub and test the wifi. But hey I am a step closer.

Thanks again!!!!

Edited to add that I was able to wire up a USB hub to the AIO and have it power up the wifi and detect bluetooth dongle for keyboard. Keyboard works flawless, but no connection to wifi (even with the two codes added). The power light just stays lit. I am using the Edimax and have the Raspberry Pi wifi dongle arriving tomorrow so hopefully it is a case that is does not like the Edimax.
Last edited by KaiKona808 on Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ocmoho

Post by ocmoho » Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:08 pm

Helder wrote:
KaiKona808 wrote:No luck this weekend with all the different testing. No matter how I wired it the Pi0 would not recognize the AIO.

So I have a new Pi0 coming in and a USBasp. I'm and hoping it is either I shorted the current Pi0 usb when I soldered the AIO to it (why did they make those pads so d@mn close) or maybe the AIO just needs reprogramming.
Hook it up to a pc and see if it's working there and if is then you might need to reinstall th OS. I just had someone with the same problem and he reinstalled the OS and it worked.

WiFi has been an issue yes but if you add the line of code a few posts up I made and the other line in the first post it should work.

The usb hub issue should be fixed on the new AIO 2.0 and as it is now a quick fix can't be done on the 1.4 boards.

I'm working on a work around and will have something maybe 2 weeks from now.

You can power the usb devices from the power strip as long as 5V and GND are all connected through the power strip.
so for us that the wifi is not working, the fix you are working on, is it software or hardware? any other help while we wait?

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:11 pm

Like I have mentioned and others in this thread you can add a line (it's in the first post) to make wifi work, that is the fix for now. There is no software fix unfortunately unless we can get a Linux guru to mess with it, it'll be a hardware fix.

3. Why does my USB keyboard work but my USB wifi dongle is not being recognized?
a. This is likely due to interference, try twisting the D+ and Dwires
or strip the
wires from a factory made USB cable (e.g. from an old mouse or A to B cable)
b. A hardware fix is being tested to reduce interference
c. As a workaround, add “dwc_otg.speed=1” (without quotes) to your cmdline.txt.
This limits USB speed to 1.1 (as supposed to 2.0) which tolerates more
interference. Use method 2 or method 3 to preconfigure your wifi network
settings ahead of time as setting the USB speed to 1.1 may prevent some
keyboards from working
https://github.com/retropie/retropiesetup/wiki/Wifi
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

DarrylUK

Post by DarrylUK » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:36 am

I'm having an issue with the USB Hub (I believe). I'm using factory USB cable over a short length to a female USB Type A connector. I don't have a WiFi adaptor so I'm copying ROMs via USB. I've followed guides (FAT32 USB stick, folder called retropie) and nothing seems to happen when I plug it in. If I plug it in at boot the boot will hang, if I plug it in after boot nothing happens.

It's odd because a keyboard seems to work fine, so I'm unsure if it's hardware based or software based.

I've added the USB lines to config.txt and it didn't make a difference. Any suggestions?

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:28 am

DarrylUK wrote:I'm having an issue with the USB Hub (I believe). I'm using factory USB cable over a short length to a female USB Type A connector. I don't have a WiFi adaptor so I'm copying ROMs via USB. I've followed guides (FAT32 USB stick, folder called retropie) and nothing seems to happen when I plug it in. If I plug it in at boot the boot will hang, if I plug it in after boot nothing happens.

It's odd because a keyboard seems to work fine, so I'm unsure if it's hardware based or software based.

I've added the USB lines to config.txt and it didn't make a difference. Any suggestions?
Try the line above and it's not the config.txt file and remove what you have in the config.txt.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

DarrylUK

Post by DarrylUK » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:51 am

My bad. I have now added it to cmdline.txt and removed from config.txt.

If I have the USB in at boot time, it stalls on "A start job is running...", the USB is lighting up. I left for a good 5 minutes and it didn't go past this. Once I pull the USB memory stick is continues the boot.

Plugging it in after Emulation station has started doesn't do anything.

Edit: Rather than have that text on a new line, I added it to the other text in cmdline.txt with a space in front of it and it worked straight away.

msykos

Post by msykos » Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:17 pm

I have a simple fix for the usb issue, I wired the usb signal wires to a switch. Now I just move the switch to give usb control to the aio or the usb port. I can switch back and forth with power on, it goes from one to the other seamlessly. With the usb port active my Wi-Fi, keyboard, memory stick and usb joystick all work now. I'll just keep the switch in the battery compartment and turn the usb port on when I want to add games or scrape an image.
Attachments
20160920_165709.jpg
20160920_165709.jpg (5.12 MiB) Viewed 9419 times
20160920_165903.jpg
20160920_165903.jpg (4.44 MiB) Viewed 9419 times
20160920_165734.jpg
20160920_165734.jpg (5.41 MiB) Viewed 9419 times

Alucard

Post by Alucard » Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:35 pm

That is an awesome idea as long as you use the correct type of switch. Kudos @msykos

msykos

Post by msykos » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:17 pm

The signal wires from the pi are in the center, switch to the left sends the signal to the port, switch to the right sends signal to the aio.
Attachments
20160920_181136-1.jpg
20160920_181136-1.jpg (329.4 KiB) Viewed 9409 times

KaiKona808

Post by KaiKona808 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:26 pm

msykos wrote:The signal wires from the pi are in the center, switch to the left sends the signal to the port, switch to the right sends signal to the aio.
This is exactly what I was wiring a few hours ago. I just got done testing it and works well. :D

Switch can be flipped from one to the other and will work without needing to reboot.

Pay no attention to shoddy soldering. This was a test run.
Attachments
35B0AD56-EA9C-42DE-BA28-7D0547FB6F9B_zpsrpkemhrl.JPG
35B0AD56-EA9C-42DE-BA28-7D0547FB6F9B_zpsrpkemhrl.JPG (132.53 KiB) Viewed 9401 times