SD card help

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
beerman

SD card help

Post by beerman » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:13 pm

I have been trying to get my SD card working.

I've wired it up as per the guide and I've tested for continuity and shorts. All wires have a connection from the sd to the pads on the pi. It's wired based on this:

Can anyone see any glaring mistakes?

If I turn pi on I get no activity light with the sd in the cart. If I put the SD directly into the pi it works with no issue (activity lights and boots). If I try with no sd card at all I get no lights on activity so it's like the pi isn't seeing the sd card.
I've also tried 3 micro sd cards all with a working retropie image on them.

The only thing I haven't got is the 1micro farad cap. Is that an essential piece I'm missing or can you do without it?

Another thing I noticed is my PP8 is in a different spot to everyone's I've seen. I assume they wouldn't change the function of the pad with different revisions?

Chedda

Re: SD card help

Post by Chedda » Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:08 pm

What does your SD card reader looks like? We need to see the whole chain of your wiring. only showing what is on the pi is not nearly enough...

This post looks very familiar...
Builder and tinkerer

marketus

Post by marketus » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:45 pm

I have exactly the same problem and I've checked several times my wiring and I think it's ok. I can't imagine in which part I'm going wrong

Quatrerwin

Post by Quatrerwin » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:10 pm

marketus wrote:I have exactly the same problem and I've checked several times my wiring and I think it's ok. I can't imagine in which part I'm going wrong
It has been said that not all SD cards work without additional filtering. Unfortunately isn't always enough to just have the one bypass cap to get it to work. These work very well for SD cards: http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1323