How to Program Helder's All in One GBZ PCB with USBasp Programmer

Discussion about other hardware (including other Pi-like boards)
Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Re: How to Program Helder's All in One GBZ PCB with USBasp Programmer

Post by Helder » Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:28 pm

Tjfreund wrote:I seem to be having a problem when I try to reprogram the PCB
1. I get an error message "warning cannot set sck period" (which I read is a benign error for most USBasp Programmers obtained from China off EBay)
2. More ominous however when finished programming it says avrdude.exe: 1 bytes of efuse verified (before the Done/Thank you message)

Any idea as to what I might have done wrong ... or is it the case that it verifies
- the flash data is been written successfully
- followed by 3 messages for a single byte of fuse data (l, h, e)

Just want to make certain as the screen capture in the instructions seemed to show it verifying the flash data & then says done
If you follow the images with the same exact setting as I have this is the output I get in the Dialog Box from start to finish:

Code: Select all

New_Gameboy_No_Analog_Boot.hex: 32,730 / 32,768 Bytes (99.88%)
Detected 1e9587 = ATmega32U4
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 

avrdude.exe: set SCK frequency to 375000 Hz
avrdude.exe: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.00s

avrdude.exe: Device signature = 0x1e9587
avrdude.exe: erasing chip
avrdude.exe: reading input file "C:\Users\Helder\Desktop\S51_AVR_ISP_Prog_progISP1.72_eng\New_Gameboy_No_Analog_Boot.hex"
avrdude.exe: input file C:\Users\Helder\Desktop\S51_AVR_ISP_Prog_progISP1.72_eng\New_Gameboy_No_Analog_Boot.hex auto detected as Intel Hex
avrdude.exe: writing flash (32730 bytes):

Writing | ################################################## | 100% 15.17s

avrdude.exe: 32730 bytes of flash written
avrdude.exe: verifying flash memory against C:\Users\Helder\Desktop\S51_AVR_ISP_Prog_progISP1.72_eng\New_Gameboy_No_Analog_Boot.hex:
avrdude.exe: load data flash data from input file C:\Users\Helder\Desktop\S51_AVR_ISP_Prog_progISP1.72_eng\New_Gameboy_No_Analog_Boot.hex:
avrdude.exe: input file C:\Users\Helder\Desktop\S51_AVR_ISP_Prog_progISP1.72_eng\New_Gameboy_No_Analog_Boot.hex auto detected as Intel Hex
avrdude.exe: input file C:\Users\Helder\Desktop\S51_AVR_ISP_Prog_progISP1.72_eng\New_Gameboy_No_Analog_Boot.hex contains 32730 bytes
avrdude.exe: reading on-chip flash data:

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 8.70s

avrdude.exe: verifying ...
avrdude.exe: 32730 bytes of flash verified

avrdude.exe done.  Thank you.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

Tjfreund

Post by Tjfreund » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:26 pm

Thanks ... I have the setup entered just as the directions indicate.

If I hit 'Go' under Flash then I get exactly what you listed. This seems to be what you might be suggesting as the Go button appears to be highlighted in blue on the screen capture.

If I hit 'Program!' at the bottom as the text directions says in step #6 then in addition to writing the flash data it appears to write the fuses as well after the flash data has been written (i.e. l, h & e as 0xFF, 0xD8 & 0xCB).

I guess this is ok ... I just didn't expect the additional writing of the fuses. As I've never done this before I didn't know if this extra phase with the fuses was good, bad or benign.

vnman

Post by vnman » Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:17 am

So I got my USBAsp https://www.aliexpress.com/item/USBasp- ... 230d&tpp=1, connected up, followed the instructions on the first page. Got the message at the end that all are OK.

BUT still the buttons registered multiple times, same as before. RetroPie does not registered as new controller.

I will try again later to see if my AIO board can be reprogrammed.

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:21 am

vnman wrote:So I got my USBAsp https://www.aliexpress.com/item/USBasp- ... 230d&tpp=1, connected up, followed the instructions on the first page. Got the message at the end that all are OK.

BUT still the buttons registered multiple times, same as before. RetroPie does not registered as new controller.

Did you use the new code I provided in the first link? I put it in different colored text to stand out and some people who had issues with Retropie accepting the controller had to reimage the SD card.

Are you using the Analog Stick code? if so do you have an Analog Stick connected to the AIO?

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

vnman

Post by vnman » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:19 am

Helder wrote:
vnman wrote:So I got my USBAsp https://www.aliexpress.com/item/USBasp- ... 230d&tpp=1, connected up, followed the instructions on the first page. Got the message at the end that all are OK.

Did you use the new code I provided in the first link? I put it in different colored text to stand out and some people who had issues with Retropie accepting the controller had to reimage the SD card.

Are you using the Analog Stick code? if so do you have an Analog Stick connected to the AIO?
Yes I am using the Analog code. Yes I have the Analog Stick connected.

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:25 am

vnman wrote:
Helder wrote:

Try the no analog stick code to see if that helps, atleast try to figure out the problem if it's the code or not.

vnman

Post by vnman » Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:50 am

Helder wrote:
vnman wrote:
Helder wrote: Did you use the new code I provided in the first link? I put it in different colored text to stand out and some people who had issues with Retropie accepting the controller had to reimage the SD card.

Try the no analog stick code to see if that helps, atleast try to figure out the problem if it's the code or not.
definitely the code, here are what I did -

- re-configured the inputs in RetroPie and the analog stick is recognized but could not play any games. As soon as the game is selected the run command config screen popped up with random movements on the menu.

- re-programmed with no analog stick. Re-configured inputs in RetroPie and everything is good. The inputs are a bit over sensitives imho or that is just me pressing the buttons for more than 2 secs :)

vnman

Post by vnman » Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:56 am

vnman wrote:
Helder wrote:
vnman wrote:
definitely the code, here are what I did -

- re-configured the inputs in RetroPie and the analog stick is recognized but could not play any games. As soon as the game is selected the run command config screen popped up with random movements on the menu.

- re-programmed with no analog stick. Re-configured inputs in RetroPie and everything is good. The inputs are a bit over sensitives imho or that is just me pressing the buttons for more than 2 secs :)
And this this the output of AVRDudess -

Code: Select all

Detected 1e9587 = ATmega32U4
Gameboy_Analog_Boot.hex: 32,730 / 32,768 Bytes (99.88%)
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 

avrdude.exe: warning: cannot set sck period. please check for usbasp firmware update.
avrdude.exe: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions

avrdude.exe: Device signature = 0x1e9587
avrdude.exe: erasing chip
avrdude.exe: warning: cannot set sck period. please check for usbasp firmware update.
avrdude.exe: reading input file "C:\Users\beast\Downloads\Retro\AVRDudess\AVRDUDESS\Gameboy_No_Analog_Boot.hex"
avrdude.exe: input file C:\Users\beast\Downloads\Retro\AVRDudess\AVRDUDESS\Gameboy_No_Analog_Boot.hex auto detected as Intel Hex
avrdude.exe: writing flash (32730 bytes):

Writing | ################################################## | 100% 16.68s

avrdude.exe: 32730 bytes of flash written
avrdude.exe: verifying flash memory against C:\Users\beast\Downloads\Retro\AVRDudess\AVRDUDESS\Gameboy_No_Analog_Boot.hex:
avrdude.exe: load data flash data from input file C:\Users\beast\Downloads\Retro\AVRDudess\AVRDUDESS\Gameboy_No_Analog_Boot.hex:
avrdude.exe: input file C:\Users\beast\Downloads\Retro\AVRDudess\AVRDUDESS\Gameboy_No_Analog_Boot.hex auto detected as Intel Hex
avrdude.exe: input file C:\Users\beast\Downloads\Retro\AVRDudess\AVRDUDESS\Gameboy_No_Analog_Boot.hex contains 32730 bytes
avrdude.exe: reading on-chip flash data:

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 12.35s

avrdude.exe: 32730 bytes of flash verified
avrdude.exe: reading input file "0xFF"
avrdude.exe: writing lfuse (1 bytes):

Writing | ################################################## | 100% -0.00s

avrdude.exe: 1 bytes of lfuse written
avrdude.exe: verifying lfuse memory against 0xFF:
avrdude.exe: load data lfuse data from input file 0xFF:
avrdude.exe: input file 0xFF contains 1 bytes
avrdude.exe: reading on-chip lfuse data:

Reading | ################################################## | 100% -0.00s

avrdude.exe: 1 bytes of lfuse verified
avrdude.exe: reading input file "0xD8"
avrdude.exe: writing hfuse (1 bytes):

avrdude.exe: 1 bytes of hfuse written
avrdude.exe: verifying hfuse memory against 0xD8:
avrdude.exe: load data hfuse data from input file 0xD8:
avrdude.exe: input file 0xD8 contains 1 bytes
avrdude.exe: reading on-chip hfuse data:

Reading | ################################################## | 100% -0.00s

avrdude.exe: 1 bytes of hfuse verified
avrdude.exe: reading input file "0xCB"
avrdude.exe: writing efuse (1 bytes):

avrdude.exe: 1 bytes of efuse written
avrdude.exe: verifying efuse memory against 0xCB:
avrdude.exe: load data efuse data from input file 0xCB:
avrdude.exe: input file 0xCB contains 1 bytes
avrdude.exe: reading on-chip efuse data:

avrdude.exe: 1 bytes of efuse verified

avrdude.exe done.  Thank you.

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:00 am

Helder wrote:

SOOOOOOOOOooooooooo after looking at your log files of the programming (thanks for that) you completely ignored what I suggested in the post I quoted above. I asked you if you used the new code and you didn't answer yes or no but your log clearly indicates it's the old code where problems were an issue.

If you go to the first post and use the link in color it will have the new code and should fix the issues you're having, here is an image of the link I was referring to:

vnman

Post by vnman » Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:00 pm

Helder wrote:
Helder wrote:

SOOOOOOOOOooooooooo after looking at your log files of the programming (thanks for that) you completely ignored what I suggested in the post I quoted above. I asked you if you used the new code and you didn't answer yes or no but your log clearly indicates it's the old code where problems were an issue.

If you go to the first post and use the link in color it will have the new code and should fix the issues you're having, here is an image of the link I was referring to:

HHHMMMMhhhhmmmmm...oooo..kkkk.....

I completely ignored that line because of the first pic...maybe you should repackage the AVRDUDESS.ZIP file to include the new files and remove the line that you referring to.....