WII U RASPBERRY PI 3 FINISHED

Want to show off your own project? Want to keep a build log of it? Post it here!
nonameboy

Re: WII U RASPBERRY PI 3 FINISHED

Post by nonameboy » Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:50 am

anyone knows if this one will work instead of teensy? https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B01D0O ... UTF8&psc=1

Stubbfan

Post by Stubbfan » Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:45 am

Iriemars, i think you should move your posts into your own build thread instead. So that we can separate the two builds.

IrieMars

Post by IrieMars » Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:07 am

22.jpg
22.jpg (4.53 MiB) Viewed 8490 times
Heavily modified Pi3. Removed everything I could. Left the display pin out alone as it is pretty close to the SD mount and I didn't want to risk damaging that. Removing these parts wasn't easy, clean, or pretty. The solder iron I have wouldn't heat up the solder on the Pi3 high enough to the melting point. So I had to basically get a pair of pliers and destroy them the parts as delicately as I could.
23.jpg
23.jpg (4.69 MiB) Viewed 8490 times
This is big for me. I was loosing my $hit trying to figure out why my LCD screen wouldn't stay on. Turns out the HDMI cable I was sent just wasn't working. So I swapped it out with one I knew worked and eureka! The screen is currently inverted because I used this Pi with the 7" Pi LCD screen, which required the screen to be flipped. Its a simply script change to swap it back. But it's coming along now. I'm pretty stoked.

IrieMars

Post by IrieMars » Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:13 am

Stubbfan wrote:Iriemars, i think you should move your posts into your own build thread instead. So that we can separate the two builds.
Good idea. I will do that. Just need to find the time to do so lol.

Willy386

Post by Willy386 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:53 am

IrieMars wrote:22.jpg
Heavily modified Pi3. Removed everything I could. Left the display pin out alone as it is pretty close to the SD mount and I didn't want to risk damaging that. Removing these parts wasn't easy, clean, or pretty. The solder iron I have wouldn't heat up the solder on the Pi3 high enough to the melting point. So I had to basically get a pair of pliers and destroy them the parts as delicately as I could.

23.jpg
This is big for me. I was loosing my $hit trying to figure out why my LCD screen wouldn't stay on. Turns out the HDMI cable I was sent just wasn't working. So I swapped it out with one I knew worked and eureka! The screen is currently inverted because I used this Pi with the 7" Pi LCD screen, which required the screen to be flipped. Its a simply script change to swap it back. But it's coming along now. I'm pretty stoked.
Hello! Nice Job. As soon as i saw the post...i felt like buidlying mine. Then you posted your project, which is helpful (im have no idea about electronic).

I have a question... You were supposed to add a TP4056 (or similar), in order to charge the battery by USB. But in your last builts i cannot see it. Wont you finally add it? Does it mean that you cannot charge the battery through USB?

This month ill get all the materials to build mine :)

Willy386

Post by Willy386 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:53 am

IrieMars wrote:More updates.

Got another tip for everyone. If you order the screen digitizer order an official Nintendo replacement from here.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/162251255451?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

This one comes with the bezel trim. I noticed the one linked to before didn't have it and will show grey lines once it's mounted. The above one comes with it and gives your GP a nice clean look.

21.jpg
I used a rotary tool to file out this area for the usb. I plan on using this to transfer roms to the PI or connect a keyboard for programming. Thinking about it now, I should have left it as is and placed a stacked USB connector there. But this will work.

14.jpg
image of the filed down LCD bracket. I noticed it was taking up much needed space so I filed it down and some sections out. The corners are the important part as they hold the LCD in place. Fits perfectly.

16.jpg
Another angle.

15.jpg
Front side. Looks clean and really happy it's coming together.

17 (1).jpg
Pi, charge boost, and LCD board all wired up. Look good but I can't figure out how to keep the screen on. It keeps going black even though I know I have power to it. Might be as simple as hitting the on button on the control that came with it. I'll need to pick up a battery today and test. If this doesn't work I will have to figure something out.

20.jpg
Another angle.

18 (2).jpg
Here are the two boards in the case where I think they will sit. I'll have to go back and strip down both the Pi and the LCD board some more to make extra room. I'll do this once I figure out how to keep the screen on, just in case I have to return it.

19.jpg
Even though I have more room to make, it fits the case. I plan on going back and completely grinding down everything not needed on the Wii U gamepad to make more room. I still have the Teensy, sound card, battery protection, control boards, etc to go. So I'll be needing all the space I can get.
Hello Iriemars. Awesome project.

I want to do this. Luckily you are showing a lot of helpful images.

I cannot see the TP4056 (or similar device) in your last builds. Wont you use it? Does it mean you cannot charge the battery through USB?

regards

IrieMars

Post by IrieMars » Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:21 pm

Willy386 wrote:
IrieMars wrote:More updates.

Got another tip for everyone. If you order the screen digitizer order an official Nintendo replacement from here.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/162251255451?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

This one comes with the bezel trim. I noticed the one linked to before didn't have it and will show grey lines once it's mounted. The above one comes with it and gives your GP a nice clean look.

21.jpg
I used a rotary tool to file out this area for the usb. I plan on using this to transfer roms to the PI or connect a keyboard for programming. Thinking about it now, I should have left it as is and placed a stacked USB connector there. But this will work.

14.jpg
image of the filed down LCD bracket. I noticed it was taking up much needed space so I filed it down and some sections out. The corners are the important part as they hold the LCD in place. Fits perfectly.

16.jpg
Another angle.

15.jpg
Front side. Looks clean and really happy it's coming together.

17 (1).jpg
Pi, charge boost, and LCD board all wired up. Look good but I can't figure out how to keep the screen on. It keeps going black even though I know I have power to it. Might be as simple as hitting the on button on the control that came with it. I'll need to pick up a battery today and test. If this doesn't work I will have to figure something out.

20.jpg
Another angle.

18 (2).jpg
Here are the two boards in the case where I think they will sit. I'll have to go back and strip down both the Pi and the LCD board some more to make extra room. I'll do this once I figure out how to keep the screen on, just in case I have to return it.

19.jpg
Even though I have more room to make, it fits the case. I plan on going back and completely grinding down everything not needed on the Wii U gamepad to make more room. I still have the Teensy, sound card, battery protection, control boards, etc to go. So I'll be needing all the space I can get.
Hello Iriemars. Awesome project.

I want to do this. Luckily you are showing a lot of helpful images.

I cannot see the TP4056 (or similar device) in your last builds. Wont you use it? Does it mean you cannot charge the battery through USB?

regards
I plan on using the below.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1PCS-5V ... 0.0.T7Af2h

But i havent recieved it yet. The uBoost im using also has a charging port. So in the end I'll have two charging ports.

Purple_Moogle_00

Re: WII U RASPBERRY PI 3 FINISHED FOR SALE

Post by Purple_Moogle_00 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:13 pm

This might be the noobiest question you have ever heard, but which test pads, on the pi 3, are for power input?

IrieMars

Post by IrieMars » Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:13 pm

I am seriously considering throwing in the towel here. I have everything working, except for the left inputs (up and down) I moved the wires around and they changed from up down not working to LT and down not working. I can't for the frigging life of me figure out why? I think its some bad wiring but I just can't isolate the issue.

Anyways, anyone wanna buy this thing off me and give it a shot? Lol.

codeman0624

Post by codeman0624 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:31 am

IrieMars wrote:I am seriously considering throwing in the towel here. I have everything working, except for the left inputs (up and down) I moved the wires around and they changed from up down not working to LT and down not working. I can't for the frigging life of me figure out why? I think its some bad wiring but I just can't isolate the issue.

Anyways, anyone wanna buy this thing off me and give it a shot? Lol.

Don't give up! I'm working on a build of my own, and it's great to be able to glean advice and tips from everyone else working on one! It's fun for us all to follow along.

I'm not understanding what's not working? The directional pad, or the joystick is mixed up? Is LT the left tactile switch under the joystick?