Pi 3 vs zero

Raspberry Pi hardware discussion (including peripherals)
Eccho

Re: Pi 3 vs zero

Post by Eccho » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:20 am

Pap wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:30 am
sorry for unearthing such old topic but in the flavor of it:
i'm looking for a list of what consoles run on what Pi?
like for example (im only theorizing): PS1 won't run on zero but will run smoothly on pi3
or
gamecube will be choppy on zero but smooth on pi3
I am running SNES, NES as well, but also GB, GBC and GBA.
I have to admit that games requiring faster reactions (Castlevania or Metroid for example) are harder to play, because there is a small latency (around 100ms, just guessing comparing to online gaming experience).
Playstation on RPZ, definitiely no way.

Awesomenatious

Post by Awesomenatious » Wed May 03, 2017 1:41 am

BenOfTheNorth wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:09 pm
Well there's the obvious - size. Pi Zero wins that hands down. The Pi 3 however has so much more power, later consoles should run *much* better. The other downsize is probably needing to strip the ports from the Pi 3 which is a pretty daunting task (For me at least). Pi 3 comes with Wifi/Bluetooth too which is a bonus, and no need for a usb hub as you could solder to the points on the board once you've removed the ports.

If I don't remove the ports, can I still solder to the board. All I want to connect is the Teensy to the Pi3 internally. Everything else is stock. I have tried but it isn't working very well, and I don't have enough know how to know where're I went wrong.

So can you suggest how I would connect the teensy to the Pi3 internally/to the board/pads 😀 Please please

Awesomenatious

Post by Awesomenatious » Wed May 03, 2017 1:42 am

BenOfTheNorth wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:09 pm
Well there's the obvious - size. Pi Zero wins that hands down. The Pi 3 however has so much more power, later consoles should run *much* better. The other downsize is probably needing to strip the ports from the Pi 3 which is a pretty daunting task (For me at least). Pi 3 comes with Wifi/Bluetooth too which is a bonus, and no need for a usb hub as you could solder to the points on the board once you've removed the ports.

If I don't remove the ports, can I still solder to the board. All I want to connect is the Teensy to the Pi3 internally. Everything else is stock. I have tried but it isn't working very well, and I don't have enough know how to know where I went wrong.

So can you suggest how I would connect the teensy to the Pi3 internally/to the board/pads 😀 Please please

Chrisagu28

Post by Chrisagu28 » Thu May 11, 2017 7:34 am

I have lately been in this debate. I am waiting on kites new AIO board to be finished and he is showing that it's much easier to adapt the pi3 in and is very tempting since I have both options already. The biggest thing preventing me from doing it is the heat, power draw, and build complexity.

The pi3, yes has more processor power but also that comes with more heat. It is usually best to run a fan in a tight space like the GBZ. especially if you are running newer consoles such as PSX, N64, MAME, and NEO GEO. Also the power draw is another thing. The zero is nice for the little power draw so I can get a projected 5-10 hours of battery (depending on build and such) vs 1-3 hours. The final thing is the build complexity. This comes with first stripping the pi3 which is a small task. Adding more buttons like a second set of shoulder buttons and good chance a joystick resulting in the GBZ build getting challenging with so much going on and more things to break later.

I see no one mentioned about the zero W. the wireless debate isn't so much one sided with the pi3 now that the zero having the wireless built in.