Internal Organization

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
JohnTheKing

Internal Organization

Post by JohnTheKing » Mon May 22, 2017 9:43 pm

I need organization help. Where do i mount everything inside my gameboy case? I got the entire thing working and all that fun jazz then when it came time to close it up, it was a no go. Poor cable management on my part probably but I ended up damaging my pi zero and the pp22 pad ripped off. I give up with this pi and will find some other constructive use for it but until then I have another on its way right now.

I am using helders AIO 2.2, powerboost 1000c, Safe shutdown, standard screen off amazon (variant 9) and a few usb hubs and one micro usb.

If you have images of where you put your boards please post them. It would be very helpful to me. I got frustrated and I think that was my downfall. I was so close.

Thanks!

Lphillimore

Re: Internal Organization

Post by Lphillimore » Mon May 22, 2017 10:53 pm

I learned​ from my first build that overly thick wire leads to problems. Do you have any pics?

An AIO 2.2 should help with space inside.

See below, one of my AIO 2.2 builds pre wiring tidy up, but you get the idea of placement.

Im also using a PRS Tech cart reader which isn't essential and adds to wiring inside.

Hope it helps.
20170423_135250-2016x1134.jpg
20170423_135250-2016x1134.jpg (475.6 KiB) Viewed 6389 times

oliddell

Post by oliddell » Tue May 23, 2017 12:51 am

really could use some help here too, thanks for the post

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Tue May 23, 2017 12:50 pm

the thinner the wires the better. in my most recent build I used some wire from an Ethernet cable, IDE cable wires, and I used a slightly thicker gauge wire for power.

Also, if you damaged pp22/pp23 you can still use that pi for your gameboy. All you need to do is get an old microusb, cut the end, plug it in, and then use the wires coming from that to solder to. I had to resort to that in my very first gameboy.

Here is an image of my most recent one. It isn't the prettiest, but it closes nicely. (Also note, in the photo the battery compartment is intact, but I actually ended up cutting it out.
Wire managementShow

JohnTheKing

Post by JohnTheKing » Tue May 23, 2017 3:26 pm

I will try and get some pictures up soon. I guess I did not take the time to look at how most people were having them organized. I dont think the wire i have is too thick. I think there just was too much in some places and it caused problems. I will look into using the usb connector. I am going to work on reorganizing it all this weekend. Thanks everyone for the help.

JohnTheKing

Post by JohnTheKing » Tue May 30, 2017 12:10 pm

Turns out I damaged the ribbon cable for my screen when I was messing around with closing up the gb. So i will replace the screen and get back to putting things together. I know that you can use fairly thin wire for data but you need thicker wire for grounds and such. What is the smallest anyone would recommend going for the data wires?

Robochris

Post by Robochris » Tue May 30, 2017 12:54 pm

IMG_0553.JPG
IMG_0553.JPG (2.44 MiB) Viewed 6244 times
I skipped the cartridge reader and didn't need access to the hdmi so I moved things around.
My pi isn't secured but it's tucked tightly under the volume wheel wires. Plus my screen is mounted upside down.