OSD Battery Monitoring for Helder's AIO Boards

Various user-contributed guides for hardware-related things
Lphillimore

Re: OSD Battery Monitoring for Helder's AIO Boards

Post by Lphillimore » Fri May 19, 2017 7:54 am

...and now we wait for low battery 8-)

Loaded on nice and easy. Looking really good.

Controls are also spot on. Great bit of work again @Hoolyhoo
20170519_213355-1512x2016.jpg
20170519_213355-1512x2016.jpg (513.09 KiB) Viewed 13869 times

jermzz

Post by jermzz » Sat May 27, 2017 10:36 pm

Got mine working, but it always says it's a full battery. Assuming cause I haven't put the resistor in line yet, gotta go grab one tomorrow...

Thanks much for this badly needed solution :)

HoolyHoo

Post by HoolyHoo » Sun May 28, 2017 3:46 am

jermzz wrote:
Sat May 27, 2017 10:36 pm
Got mine working, but it always says it's a full battery. Assuming cause I haven't put the resistor in line yet, gotta go grab one tomorrow...

Hmmm. Are you sure you wired it to the battery and not the power supply output? Resistor is used to limit current to the atmega input pin to prevent backfeed when powered off. Doesn't have anything to do with voltage. Any pictures of your wiring might help.

jermzz

Post by jermzz » Sun May 28, 2017 11:52 am

HoolyHoo wrote:
Sun May 28, 2017 3:46 am
jermzz wrote:

Hmmm. Are you sure you wired it to the battery and not the power supply output? Resistor is used to limit current to the atmega input pin to prevent backfeed when powered off. Doesn't have anything to do with voltage. Any pictures of your wiring might help.
Hard to see under the switch, but on the pin directly under the black ground wire for the switch is the brown wire that goes to the bat pin on the powerboost. The blue wire is attached to the bottom pin on the right side of the switch under the bare pin. That one goes to ADC0. Looks like that's how you have it on the diagram, right?
Attachments
IMG_5426.JPG
IMG_5426.JPG (1.61 MiB) Viewed 13807 times

HoolyHoo

Post by HoolyHoo » Sun May 28, 2017 12:06 pm

jermzz wrote:
Sun May 28, 2017 11:52 am
HoolyHoo wrote:
jermzz wrote:

Hard to see under the switch, but on the pin directly under the black ground wire for the switch is the brown wire that goes to the bat pin on the powerboost. The blue wire is attached to the bottom pin on the right side of the switch under the bare pin. That one goes to ADC0. Looks like that's how you have it on the diagram, right?
Hard for me to make heads or tails of the switch wiring from that photo but if it is as you describe then yes it's correct. Nothing else connected to those pins, right? Still having an issue? Are you testing with battery alone with no power plug connected?

jermzz

Post by jermzz » Sun May 28, 2017 12:38 pm

HoolyHoo wrote:
Sun May 28, 2017 12:06 pm
jermzz wrote:
HoolyHoo wrote:

Hard for me to make heads or tails of the switch wiring from that photo but if it is as you describe then yes it's correct. Nothing else connected to those pins, right? Still having an issue? Are you testing with battery alone with no power plug connected?
It appears to be working. I guess my battery was just 100% full. After 30 min of letting mario 3 idle it has indeed dropped a notch. I'll let it play til dead just to make sure. But all appears well. Sorry for the false alarm.
Attachments
IMG_5429.JPG
IMG_5429.JPG (2.54 MiB) Viewed 13793 times

HoolyHoo

Post by HoolyHoo » Sun May 28, 2017 12:45 pm

jermzz wrote:
Sun May 28, 2017 12:38 pm
HoolyHoo wrote:
jermzz wrote:

It appears to be working. I guess my battery was just 100% full. After 30 min of letting mario 3 idle it has indeed dropped a notch. I'll let it play til dead just to make sure. But all appears well. Sorry for the false alarm.
Well, that's good. Glad you got it sorted out. Battery steps are in 25% increments. So right now you are showing 75%. When its gets to 25%, battery indicator will go yellow and low battery warning video will play once. If you don't recharge and its gets to the last step in battery meter, then shutdown video will play and auto shutdown will begin. ;)

jermzz

Post by jermzz » Sun May 28, 2017 12:48 pm

HoolyHoo wrote:
Sun May 28, 2017 12:45 pm
jermzz wrote:
HoolyHoo wrote:

Well, that's good. Glad you got it sorted out. Battery steps are in 25% increments. So right now you are showing 75%. When its gets to 25%, battery indicator will go yellow and low battery warning video will play once. If you don't recharge and its gets to the last step in battery meter, then shutdown video will play and auto shutdown will begin. ;)
Yeah, the low battery video looks awesome from your pictures. Never been so excited for my battery to die. Lol

jermzz

Post by jermzz » Sun May 28, 2017 6:53 pm

HoolyHoo wrote:
jermzz wrote:
HoolyHoo wrote:

How hard would this be to port over to use on a teensey or audrino Leonardo. Hard even though they're still atmega32u4 based?

HoolyHoo

Post by HoolyHoo » Sun May 28, 2017 8:03 pm

jermzz wrote:
Sun May 28, 2017 6:53 pm
HoolyHoo wrote:
jermzz wrote:

How hard would this be to port over to use on a teensey or audrino Leonardo. Hard even though they're still atmega32u4 based?
Not hard at all and not much different. Make sure to use same pin out.