Which GBZ power supply should I use?

Hardware-related questions that don't fit into any of the specialized hardware categories go here.
scbailey94

Which GBZ power supply should I use?

Post by scbailey94 » Sun May 22, 2016 4:16 pm

On the Wiki there are two power supplies listed, the Adafruit Powerboost 1000C or the 3.7V Li-ion Battery Mini USB To USB A Power Supply Module. One is a lot cheaper than the other, do they both do the same thing?
Check out my Instagram www.instagram.com/sb.retromods/ to see more of my Game Boy Zero builds :D

Fleder

Re: Which GBZ power supply should I use?

Post by Fleder » Mon May 23, 2016 12:08 am

Hi there,

you can totally go with the cheap one, it should come with all the same features.
It is just cheaper, because it is "no name" and maybe not the same quality as the adafruit one.

Kilren

Post by Kilren » Mon May 23, 2016 12:19 am

Fleder wrote:Hi there,

you can totally go with the cheap one, it should come with all the same features.
It is just cheaper, because it is "no name" and maybe not the same quality as the adafruit one.
I'll also be going with the cheaper one as well. Going to have pictures up of my completed build (hopefully at the end of these week if time permits). I'll have it incorporated.

Camble

Post by Camble » Mon May 23, 2016 4:21 am

I can't see much difference between the two. The Adafruit board just seems more feature-rich. Is it just that the cheaper one doesn't have a low battery indicator?

I've also been looking at boards like this. I'm not even sure if it is suitable.

Fleder

Post by Fleder » Mon May 23, 2016 4:34 am

Camble wrote:I can't see much difference between the two. The Adafruit board just seems more feature-rich. Is it just that the cheaper one doesn't have a low battery indicator?

I've also been looking at boards like this. I'm not even sure if it is suitable.
With this, you won't be able to charge while playing.

Camble

Post by Camble » Mon May 23, 2016 4:35 am

Fleder wrote: With this, you won't be able to charge while playing.
I had a feeling that would be the case :(

GnobarEl

Post by GnobarEl » Mon May 23, 2016 4:45 am

Fleder wrote:
Camble wrote:I can't see much difference between the two. The Adafruit board just seems more feature-rich. Is it just that the cheaper one doesn't have a low battery indicator?

With this, you won't be able to charge while playing.
Hi, I confirm that. I have some of those boards but you can't play and charge at same time. Also, you need a power boost converto to give you the 5v. It a wast of money.

Camble

Post by Camble » Mon May 23, 2016 11:47 am

GnobarEl wrote: Hi, I confirm that. I have some of those boards but you can't play and charge at same time. Also, you need a power boost converto to give you the 5v. It a wast of money.
I'm guessing that means even with a buck/boost converter, you still wouldn't be able to charge while playing?

GnobarEl

Post by GnobarEl » Mon May 23, 2016 1:21 pm

Camble wrote:
GnobarEl wrote: Hi, I confirm that. I have some of those boards but you can't play and charge at same time. Also, you need a power boost converto to give you the 5v. It a wast of money.
I'm guessing that means even with a buck/boost converter, you still wouldn't be able to charge while playing?
The problem is when you run out of battery. It will not output enough power. In mytests, the device turned on but a few secs later rebooted. At least using those chineses spares. Theorically the max output was 800mAh. I bought some powebooster from adafruit.