mintyPi Frequently Asked Questions **READ THIS**

General mintyPi-related chat goes here. Share ideas, ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums, etc.
HollandJim

Re: Available room dimensions for battery

Post by HollandJim » Wed May 31, 2017 5:20 am

Found this in Germany - should be pretty close. 2000mA, almost the same dimensions as the Adafruit but 0.5mm thicker.

https://eckstein-shop.de/PKCELL-LiPo-Ak ... -Connector

Wth the newer power board, might this do?
Quando omni flunks, moratati

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Wed May 31, 2017 5:45 am

HollandJim wrote:
Wed May 31, 2017 5:20 am
Found this in Germany - should be pretty close. 2000mA, almost the same dimensions as the Adafruit but 0.5mm thicker.

I ordered a few of these but that extra 5mm adds quite a bit. The damn thing is thick and likely not going to fit in the case with the other parts.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

HollandJim

Post by HollandJim » Wed May 31, 2017 5:47 am

Bugger - just bought some - time to see if I can cancel it. Thanks!

Edit: Was fortunate to cancel it. Since export of that specific Adafruit battery out of the US is prohibited by law, I've got a feeling it's going to tough to find it here in Europe. Looking forward to whatever solution Helder and Wermy arrive at.
Last edited by HollandJim on Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

jthayerthegamer

Some Ideas

Post by jthayerthegamer » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:40 pm

So I know a lot of this can make thing's more complicated, but if you want a mintyPi with "Higher Prestige" than would would it be a good idea to replace the D pad with a nintendo 3ds circle pad?

CIRCLE PAD BUY LINK:
https://www.ebay.com/p/?iid=16225124174 ... m=1&chn=ps

Another Idea would be to put cloth over the speaker holes to cover up the speaker, in my opinion seeing the speaker is kind of an eye sore. could probably be done with tape or hot glue. And since they come and big packs for cheap, you'll have cloth leftover.

SPEAKER COVER MESH:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Speaker-Grill-C ... 1641455806

(sorry for long link)

djbriane

Re: Some Ideas

Post by djbriane » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:11 pm

I assume the vertical clearance would be the first issue with this approach. I'm sure Helder has some additional thoughts on adding an analog stick too. :lol:

drafterITA

Post by drafterITA » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:47 am

Helder wrote:
Wed May 31, 2017 5:45 am
HollandJim wrote:
Wed May 31, 2017 5:20 am

I ordered a few of these but that extra 0.5mm adds quite a bit. The damn thing is thick and likely not going to fit in the case with the other parts.
So you think the 2000mAh won't find? Dang it..
Cheers! :D
drafterITA

HollandJim

Post by HollandJim » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:44 am

Gave up looking for other batteries, then lo and behold -- Adafruit had them back in stock. Okay - as I wanted a few other things from them (micro lipo, Adafruit PiOLED, focusing dial for the Pi camera..yeah, I know, excuses...) I bit the bullet and ordered two, and then popped for the express shipping to the Netherlands. No good building the thing if you can't power it or close the case. ;)

RSPP

Can you add these to mintyPi?

Post by RSPP » Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:47 pm

On Mintypi
Also, i've seen those little Blackberry keyboards. Is there a way to actually attach it to the raspberry pi? Its because I want to triple boot Retropie, Kodi and Raspbian, and it will be nice to get the keyboard working to surf the web, and edit documents
Joysticks will also be a huge deal. You need them to get to play more emulators, and to use it as a mouse in Raspbian. ( Btw, is mintypi compatible with joy bonnet button pcb?) So thats all, it will be very nice of your if you colud add any of these. Thanks! ;)
Last edited by RSPP on Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

VeteranGamer

Re: Can you add these to mintyPi?

Post by VeteranGamer » Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:59 pm

RSPP wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:47 pm
On Mintypi
Is there any space for a 3.2 inch display? Its because it will look a litlle better if your could add a a bigger LCD for all the free space there is.
Also, i've seen those little Blackberry keyboards. Is there a way to actually attach it to the raspberry pi? Its because I want to triple boot Retropie, Kodi and Raspbian, and it will be nice to get the keyboard working to surf the web, and edit documents
Joysticks will also be a huge deal. You need them to get to play more emulators, and to use it as a mouse in Raspbian. ( Btw, is mintypi compatible with joy bonnet button pcb?) So thats all, it will be very nice of your if you colud add any of these, Walter. Thanks! ;)
theres a topic dedicated about the screen....

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=2887

you cant even fit a 2.8 screen in the tin and close it, let alone a 3.2

it might be a good idea to spend some time going over some of the topics, i'm sure more of these options have already been discussed....

grue

Post by grue » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:39 am

wermy wrote:
Mon May 22, 2017 8:20 am
Alright, so I tested this weekend using a 2.4" screen. Got right at 3 hours out of it. This was on a non-W RP0 (all I had soldered up to a screen at the time), but this should be a good approximation of using it with wifi/BT disabled. From what I'm reading online the W only uses ~20mA more, so I'd estimate that to put you between 2.5-3 hours with wifi on. Not earth-shattering but for a mint-tin-based gaming handheld I'd say it's alright. And hey, it beats the Switch's battery life when playing Zelda Breath of the Wild. :)
Also, there is a chance that using the custom PCB for buttons has freed up enough space that a 2000mAh battery is an option. That should put you up around 4 hours. I'll know for sure once I get the final set of parts here and can put one together using it.
Wermy, just wanted to ask, any follow-up on if the 2000mAh worked out for you? I guess it wasn't too long ago you posted that so no pressure if you haven't tried it yet.

Along those lines, I also found this 1800mAh battery, still 5mm thick but LxW dimensions are fairly different though, so I'm curious if you have any better idea what the end dimensions will end up being with the controller PCB: http://www.ebay.com/itm/401114885684

Thanks for all your hard work! Excited to make one of these.