Safe shutdown?

General mintyPi-related chat goes here. Share ideas, ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums, etc.
keffcat

Safe shutdown?

Post by keffcat » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:10 am

I just started looking into the circuitry and it looks like there's no safe shutdown for the MintyPi. Any chance there's room for us to add something that could let us do that?

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Re: Safe shutdown?

Post by Helder » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:21 am

I wasn't going to release any info on this till I had a board I'm expecting late next week..... maybe. HoolyHoo and I have been working on an add-on for this feature with one of his scripts like he made for my AIO. Nothing will be shown until we have tested it thoroughly and have a price point in mind (very affordable), it's designed to fit the mintyPi pcb and low profile with some future features we are thinking of adding to it.

The features can be a DIY with cheap parts so you won't need a new board just a cheap component ($1 maybe).
Again details will be released once we have tested everything thoroughly so don't ask for details.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

tinkerBOY

Post by tinkerBOY » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:52 am

keffcat wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:10 am
I just started looking into the circuitry and it looks like there's no safe shutdown for the MintyPi. Any chance there's room for us to add something that could let us do that?
check the ATXRaspi
https://lowpowerlab.com/guide/atxraspi/

I have not tested it myself but should do it. Not sure if it fits inside the mintypi though.
New! tinkerBOY PowerSwitch v1.0 with Safe Shutdown
Game Boy Zero Controllers available @ tinkerBOY.xyz * Support
tinkerBOY Controller v3.0 - built-in usb controller, usb audio, and usb hub
tinkerBOY Controller v2.0 - GPIO buttons and builtin PWM Audio and Amplifier
tinkerBOY Controller v1.1 - simple pcb button
* DPI Adapter - better display for GBZ
* keyboard converters - IBM XT/AT Soarer's Converter | ADB to USB Converter

dryja123

Post by dryja123 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:33 pm

This might be really easy to accomplish. I was just reading an article where you could acompish this by using a simple tact button and using GPIO 3,5, and 6. Looking at the MintyPi board it looks like these GPIO ports are available.

Do you think this would work? https://howchoo.com/g/mwnlytk3zmm/how-t ... spberry-pi

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:50 pm

dryja123 wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:33 pm
This might be really easy to accomplish. I was just reading an article where you could acompish this by using a simple tact button and using GPIO 3,5, and 6. Looking at the MintyPi board it looks like these GPIO ports are available.

Do you think this would work? https://howchoo.com/g/mwnlytk3zmm/how-t ... spberry-pi
That should work yes but what we are working on is a low battery monitor with notification and battery level bar with safe shutdown and also an on demand shutdown button.

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

dryja123

Post by dryja123 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:06 pm

....incredible!

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:34 pm

Here is the picture of the bar and it is working:

the board looks like so:

and it installed:

The script also allows for a safe shutdown button and preorder will be coming in a week or so for anyone interested in this board, it's super easy to install and only requires 2 extra wires (yellow in the image above).

obsidianspider

Post by obsidianspider » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:41 pm

I'm definitely game, depending on the price. (Then again, I just totaled up my build and it was $132 :shock: )

I had mine die a slow, screen fading death on me yesterday when the battery got low. :)

I have to think a board like this would be good for lots of handheld builds.

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:46 pm

It might be universal to be honest after I do more testing on other projects.

obsidianspider

Post by obsidianspider » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:48 pm

Helder wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:46 pm
It might be universal to be honest after I do more testing on other projects.
I've got a few handhelds in various states of "done" that could definitely use this feature. I'm eager to see how the testing turns out. :)