Troubleshooting USB sound card issue

Having trouble with your mintyPi build? Post your questions here!
rednakes

Troubleshooting USB sound card issue

Post by rednakes » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:51 am

So, I thought I was done to the point where I only needed to screw everything together. The screen and buttons were working. However, I noticed my sound was not playing, even with the volume adjusted. The sound card was working before when I had plugged it in via the USB port, but now when it's soldered I don't hear anything. I don't think I ripped any traces (I was very careful) and the crystal has been re-wired as directed.

I went in with a multimeter and confirmed with the test pads on Helder's PCB that the sound card's USB 5V and Ground points were soldered to the board. The USB Data "+" and Data "-" both seemed to be soldered correctly to the Pi.

However, when I did an 'lsusb' through SSH I noticed there was no sound card connected:

Code: Select all

pi@mintypi:~ $ lsusb
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
pi@mintypi:~ $ 
Is there anything else I should try? Any other points on the sound card that I should test for voltage, etc.?

BTW afterwards I tried hooking up a hub with a keyboard to the Pi's USB port but it didn't connect either. These normally work with my Pi Zero W.

EDIT: I also verified all the test pads were working with the GPIO connection.
Last edited by rednakes on Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Adim01

Re: Troubleshooting USB sound card issue

Post by Adim01 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:57 am

My guess is that you fried your crystal or damaged some components on the board. If it was just the crystal you can get the for cheap of the internet. You send a picture or the card closeup :p

rednakes

Post by rednakes » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:01 pm

Adim01 wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:57 am
My guess is that you fried your crystal or damaged some components on the board. If it was just the crystal you can get the for cheap of the internet. You send a picture or the card closeup :p
This is what I had before I attached it to the tin (see pic).
IMG_6161.JPG
IMG_6161.JPG (3.59 MiB) Viewed 11674 times

rednakes

Post by rednakes » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:04 pm

Also I wired the USB green and white here:
IMG_6178.JPG
IMG_6178.JPG (344.92 KiB) Viewed 11674 times

EDIT: Actually, now that I look at this picture, it looks like I have shorted the white wire with the hole on its right. Confirmed with multimeter.

rednakes

Post by rednakes » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:12 pm

Bingo, that was the problem. It was a short ;-(

wermy
Site Admin

Post by wermy » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:28 pm

Glad you figured it out. I would *really* recommend shortening how much wire is exposed. It will also make it easier if you turn the wires around so they are coming from the other direction.
ImageImageImageImage

rednakes

Post by rednakes » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:33 pm

wermy wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:28 pm
Glad you figured it out. I would *really* recommend shortening how much wire is exposed. It will also make it easier if you turn the wires around so they are coming from the other direction.
Thanks. Yes, I noticed that too, I had to shorten both those wires to prevent shorts again.

I'm assembling the covers now but having trouble with the button plate going down further. I can't close the hinge mechanism due to this. May have to with the wires taking up space and/or the plate itself needing to be filed on the sides.

wermy
Site Admin

Post by wermy » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:40 pm

rednakes wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:33 pm
Thanks. Yes, I noticed that too, I had to shorten both those wires to prevent shorts again.

I'm assembling the covers now but having trouble with the button plate going down further. I can't close the hinge mechanism due to this. May have to with the wires taking up space and/or the plate itself needing to be filed on the sides.
This probably means you need to guide your wires better so they go around the battery. Also what gauge of wire are you using for the sound card and L/R buttons? That wire looks pretty thick in the picture - I used 30 AWG.
ImageImageImageImage

Adim01

Post by Adim01 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:41 pm

Glad you figured it out :)
Yeah like wermy said you should use some tape to prevent that from happening :D

rednakes

Post by rednakes » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:44 pm

wermy wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:40 pm
rednakes wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:33 pm

This probably means you need to guide your wires better so they go around the battery. Also what gauge of wire are you using for the sound card and L/R buttons? That wire looks pretty thick in the picture - I used 30 AWG.
Not sure what gauge, I had bought these as a multi-coloured set a long time ago, but they're a little too thick for this job. However, I managed to fit everything down - the bottom half of the Altoids tin had to be widened slightly with my fingers.