Bad Display Cables/ LCD Ribbon

Having trouble with your mintyPi build? Post your questions here!
wermy
Site Admin

Re: Bad Display Cables/ LCD Ribbon

Post by wermy » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:53 pm

Kyran wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:35 pm
Thank you wermy and helder for all your help, I'm really greatful now just trying to find the setup script for prebuilt sd card
It's up on the wiki: http://www.sudomod.com/wiki/index.php?t ... i#Software
ImageImageImageImage

arbinshire

Post by arbinshire » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:07 pm

Helder wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:26 am
Send it back to me as long as it's not damaged beyond what you're telling me I can swap it for another and I'll fix it for one of my builds.
Thanks for the offer, but I was able to rework it using copper tape and some deft soldering. Those ribbon cables are incredibly delicate.
Attachments
IMG_1316.JPG
IMG_1316.JPG (2.4 MiB) Viewed 6749 times

sachz

Post by sachz » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:39 pm

After reading all the forum posts, taping / re-taping, trimming, and re-checking all the solder points, the screen remains black with no response. Messed with it so much the clip on the connector snapped off. Tired and frustrated, I'll be ordering a second one and try again. *sigh*

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:53 am

So no backlight? Did your continuity test work for VCC below the 8pin connector with the 3.3v GPIO? That is what powers the screen and did you make sure the gold fingers on the ribbon face down when inserted into the connector? Did it ever light up at anytime?
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

sachz

Post by sachz » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:06 am

It didn't do anything - no backlight, no video, nada. The pins were facing downward. That was made clear given the pin number markings and that it would sit really weird in the tin if it flipped. I metered the voltages and the it was clear the pi was reading the card. It was just the display that was entirely unresponsive.

I tried picking up a replacement via the link, but it appears it's "sold out." That project took even less time than I imagined. :P

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:45 pm

Please post images of your ribbon and it also inserted into the socket and you also used tape to thicken it up right?

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

sachz

Post by sachz » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:16 pm

Socket latch broken as per my first comment. [edit for clarity] The taping* looks similar to the image on page one of this topic. Posting pictures won't accomplish anything. I'll just wait until a better option or replacement screens are in stock. I mean, your desire to help is appreciated, but it's a fragile solution on a 1.0 release.

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:23 pm

The real solutuion is to solder the LCD ribbon directly to the board since that is what these LCDs were designed for but I can just imagine how many more LCDs would be ruined if I did that instead of a ribbon connector with some 2 thin strips of tape added on for stiffness. If people are ruining them with a simple solution then I don't see a better solution being to solder them to the board directly since most people taking this project have zero experience with these things. Maybe a 2.0 release with everything done for you and a $200 price tag might be more enticing but I think people would like to DIY as this is what the whole project is about.

sachz

Post by sachz » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:24 pm

Agreed on the DIY. Even though you guys do most of the work and make things really easy, it gets us to feel like we're accomplishing something really neat. The designs and ideas for all these projects are amazing - not to mention the amount of effort and support you put into helping others. That's why I couldn't care less about one screen going pffft. I'd happily pay / donate / buy beer (if near SJC) for all those that contribute to this community.

So I actually began started to solder the wires directly but realized it wasn't worth the effort if the screen was dead. I'll just be on the lookout for a replacement some day.

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:50 pm

Pm me about it and I can sell you one of my extras, and I'll even test it too so I know it works 100% before you get it.