Safe shutdown?

General mintyPi-related chat goes here. Share ideas, ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums, etc.
drafterITA

Re: Safe shutdown?

Post by drafterITA » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:13 pm

I'm in for 2 of those as well.. I love safe shutdown :D
Cheers! :D
drafterITA

jiminboo

Post by jiminboo » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:16 pm

Count me in on any improvements for these cool projects!

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:21 am

I already put the order in to the fabricator so in maybe 2 weeks or so it will be here ready to ship. It is definitely nice knowing your systems battery state and having an on demand shutdown button is very convenient.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

Apis

Post by Apis » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:49 am

Looks great Helder! Count me in for adding this to my order whenever you have parts available again. What thread should I subscribe too to keep an eye out?

MrDralixx

Post by MrDralixx » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:03 pm

I'm in for one of these as well!

But I do have a question though. Looking at the link that dryja123 posted, would that work as an on/off button? Or just as an off? It looks as though I could wire a tactile switch, or something small and similar, in place of the switch that the guide calls for. Am I correct in that assumption? Putting an on/off in the same spot as the switch should/would eliminate the worry of accidentally shutting it down during game play. For me anyway. With my ham-sized hands and all. :)

dryja123

Post by dryja123 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:43 pm

MrDralixx wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:03 pm
I'm in for one of these as well!

But I do have a question though. Looking at the link that dryja123 posted, would that work as an on/off button? Or just as an off? It looks as though I could wire a tactile switch, or something small and similar, in place of the switch that the guide calls for. Am I correct in that assumption? Putting an on/off in the same spot as the switch should/would eliminate the worry of accidentally shutting it down during game play. For me anyway. With my ham-sized hands and all. :)
The link I posted will work as an on button as well.

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:21 pm

As HoolyHoo has it setup now we have a safe shutdown on demand button but it might be used to turn it on but, when a shutdown is performed by the button or in the ES menu the screen stays lit until the power switch is slid off.

So an on button is kind of pointless since we have the slide switch.

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

obsidianspider

Post by obsidianspider » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:08 am

This might be a dumb question, but why was the decision made to go with a separate button instead of the "Mausberry style" of circuit that detects when the switch is flipped to off, then sends a command to the Pi, then when the Pi has shut down, it cuts power?

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:24 pm

Where can I find information to build this mausberry circuit? I see scripts but no actual schematic so I don't know how I can implement it.

dryja123

Post by dryja123 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:12 pm

Helder wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:24 pm
Where can I find information to build this mausberry circuit? I see scripts but no actual schematic so I don't know how I can implement it.
Seems like mausberry is a website that sells switches that have wires to connect to the GPIO pins like in the article I sent you about safe shutdown. Helder, your solution is better because of the ability to monitor the battery.

https://mausberry-circuits.myshopify.co ... ith-rocker