Cannikin's GBZ

Show off your completed Game Boy Zero, or post your build logs here!
Cannikin

Cannikin's GBZ

Post by Cannikin » Sat May 28, 2016 3:38 pm

Done! Well, mostly. Some customizations over wermy's original:
  1. 640x480 VGA screen
  2. Better speaker
  3. Kept a large part of the original circuit board
  4. Kept original Ext Connector plug, but covering a USB port instead (see below)
  5. Kept original DC barrel jack for power and found a USB cable with that connector
  6. Glass screen with original GB gray bezel (see below)
The only downside is that the HDMI port on the Pi is deep inside, not exposed at the contrast port. I don't really see myself hooking this up to a TV any time soon, but it would have been nice if the opportunity every arose. This was a consequence of keeping as much of the stock circuit board as possible and the size of the screen's controller board. There just wasn't enough room between the two when the two halves of the GB were joined together. Maybe for 2.0...

For the screen I got this GBO Screen Protector [Glass] (which isn't really a screen protector but the whole window with the original graphics printed on the back). I scraped off most of the paint except for 3/16" or so around the edge. It came out better than expected!

I was also able to keep most of the battery compartment intact (there's another USB port in there on the right side):

I wasn't able to re-use the screw posts behind the screen as the controller board for my larger screen didn't leave any room for the posts. I ended up fabricating a little hook system out of styrene at the top. You hook the top together, then place both halves together and use the two screws in the battery compartment. If anyone wants to see photos of that let me know. Right now I'm so glad everything goes together I don't want to open it up again unless absolutely necessary!

I'm don't have the SD card in the cartridge slot yet: I'm still waiting on my circuit board.

Bubble

Re: Cannikin's GBZ

Post by Bubble » Sat May 28, 2016 4:37 pm

Nice work Cannikin !
I see the jedi in you ;)

jlane52641

Post by jlane52641 » Sat May 28, 2016 4:55 pm

BEAUTIFUL!

A work of art, truly

Btw I appreciate your links at the top, I have missed a lot apparently!

Kcj101

Post by Kcj101 » Sun May 29, 2016 12:42 am

About how long does the battery last?

Kcj101

Post by Kcj101 » Sun May 29, 2016 12:54 am

And how were you able to scratch off the border so cleanly? Looks great!

Fleder

Post by Fleder » Sun May 29, 2016 3:25 am

Wow, really nice! Congratulations.
But if you are going to oppen it up again, i would love to see your solution for the hook system, since i will have the same problem of not being able to use the screw hole at the upper half.

Megavolt

Post by Megavolt » Sun May 29, 2016 4:23 am

Would you mind posting your hook system ?
Sounds very interesting !

Kcj101

Post by Kcj101 » Sun May 29, 2016 11:12 am

Awesome news! I spoke with the owner at Nintendo repair hut, and he said since there is a demand for Gameboy zero mod accessories, he will look into making a glass screen with a border to fit the Gameboy zero. Cool stuff!

Cannikin

Post by Cannikin » Sun May 29, 2016 4:43 pm

Kcj101 wrote:Awesome news! I spoke with the owner at Nintendo repair hut, and he said since there is a demand for Gameboy zero mod accessories, he will look into making a glass screen with a border to fit the Gameboy zero. Cool stuff!
That would be AMAZING! It's definitely a bit of work to get the lines nice and clean, the scrap off the decal, then clean up the glass afterwords. I hope someone can let us know if he ends up making it!

Cannikin

Post by Cannikin » Sun May 29, 2016 4:46 pm

Here's that hook mechanism I put together:

So there's a little square glued onto the front half that fits in the notch on the back half. It's better to make it NOT fit at first, then trim one side or the other so it has a nice tight fit.
Last edited by Cannikin on Tue May 31, 2016 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.