Game Boy Zero case CAD files

Show off your completed Game Boy Zero, or post your build logs here!
neolith

Re: Game Boy Zero case CAD files

Post by neolith » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:40 pm

YaYa wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:15 am
First thing that comes to my mind is : wow, the design is really heavy, my super laptop i7 based with 16Gigs RAM is struggling like never just to rotate the design... i will take a look if this is not a drawing / GPU acceleration issue.
If you don't have any other problems with SketchUp my guess is that this is not a GPU problem. I'd say one of the formats or more likely one of the exporters/importers used for conversion messed things up.

There are several potential problems at play here.
You are converting a solid model into a polygon model (based on the picture you posted) or the IGS exporter already did. That means the model needs to be rastered – just like a vector drawing can be rastered into a pixel image. There's no way of saying for sure how that is done since we don't know the exporter. The polygon model will always be an approximation of the solid model and can therefore never be quite as detailed. That in itself doesn't have to be a problem but the fact that a software has to decide where to be sloppy and where to put much detail usually is.
Therefore there is also the possibility that the geometry itself somewhere got messed up. Double polys, polys not in order for stripes, unwelded vertices, flipped normals, unneeded or missing information on a feature, freakshow geometry – no matter what, something might have gotten wrong along the way. Take a couple of these problems and throw them together and not even a brand new machine can handle your messed up model unless the renderer is written to explicitly cope with these mistakes.
And that brings us to the software displaying the model. Something might just be wrong there because the software doesn't know how to handle the model. Unfortunately changing formats for 3D models is not as simple as changing formats for a pixel image. There has never been a definitive format for 3D data. The actual geometry, its translation, orientation and scale, the coordinate system, UV maps, textures, animation, bones, physical properties – all these could be saved in a file but are not needed. Or are expected but were not saved.
I've seen a lot of models at work that our clients came up with that got torn to shreds just by moving them from their software to max (which is our program of choice).

Usually converting models goes hand in hand with creating problems. So our best guess is to try different formats in hope that things work out better there, either because another format is supported natively or the ex-/importers work better.
I took a look at the web-interface of Fusion 360 and it offers a lot more options than the software itself:

There even is an option for Sketchup. ;)
Do you want to give this a try? The only downside is that I have to wait for an email with the file when using the web-interface.
Second thing is : wow, it seems really accurate. For now, my build is waiting for Kite's SAIO board, i just finished dremeling what i was needing to dremel. So i know well the shell and it looks like the real one.

I will check some measurements and try to put my 3D designs inside just to see if everything fits good. I'll let you know :D
Thanks, I really appreciate that. :)
Then i thought... oh, i must start using this model.

So the devil took my hand over the touch-pad and i imported your IGS into an Adobe Photoshop 3D layer. The model is handled better than in Sketchup and my laptop was dealing the model very fluently ; so it might be an issue with the import settings within Sketchup (even if i didn't see anything related to options while importing...)

I played a bit with the camera and i thought that i must integrate this model to one of my current graphical projects... So i ended with this lol.
This is the Retail Box for GameBoy Zero cartridges i have designed based on the PSD file provided by VeteranGamer in this post , with the StormTrooper theme screenshots by HoolyHoo found in this post
[...]
Hey, this is awesome! And really good looking! Thanks for sharing.
I have had plans for creating a retail-like box for my GBZ once it's done and it's fun to see others work in the same direction. :)
– "The biggest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist." –

YaYa

Post by YaYa » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:13 pm

Yes, i'll be really happy if you can get the sketchup file just to see if it working better with it.

I understand all what you said and i was pretty sure that the problem was the messed obejct during import.

I must try with other formats / import extensions to see if it's better.

The model on the retail box is the wireframe interpretation from the Adobe Photoshop's 3D engine. It has nothing to deal with a real 3D software but it has done the job for me lol

I'll print the retail box tomorrow or the next day, and i'll post a picture here :D
Follow me on instagram Image

neolith

Post by neolith » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:05 am

Okay, I've added a download for a SketchUp file to the first post. Maybe that will create less problems. The mail from Autodesk with it came actually pretty fast, barely took ten minutes.

I am looking forward to that retail box! :)
– "The biggest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist." –

YaYa

Post by YaYa » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:07 am

Ok, i've downloaded and opened the sketchup file and it's just 10 time smaller than the one i converted lol (file size 6Mb compared to 66 from mine)... The orbit tool allows me to play smoothly around the model !
So it was a conversion issue due to the import plugin from IGS to SKP from Simlab (free Trial). Maybe because it is a free trial lol they messed up the model :twisted:
When opening your model, i had a minor error telling me that something was messed up but that could be fixed. I choosed yes fix it (lol) and the model seems fine.

I will check some measurements, but i've already noticed that the model is lacking some supports just on the left side of the battery tray when you look at it from the inside side...

Thanks for sharing, keep working on it please :D

neolith

Post by neolith » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:32 am

YaYa wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:07 am
Ok, i've downloaded and opened the sketchup file and it's just 10 time smaller than the one i converted lol (file size 6Mb compared to 66 from mine)... The orbit tool allows me to play smoothly around the model !
I am very glad to hear that! :)
So it was a conversion issue due to the import plugin from IGS to SKP from Simlab (free Trial). Maybe because it is a free trial lol they messed up the model :twisted:
Or the IGS from Fusion was already less than stellar to begin with. I don't have much trust in exporters. :lol:
[...]
I will check some measurements, but i've already noticed that the model is lacking some supports just on the left side of the battery tray when you look at it from the inside side...

Thanks for sharing, keep working on it please :D
Without taking a look at it right now... yeah, I do remember leaving out two supports left of it that seemed to do nothing but take up space and probably hold cables...
I'll add them ASAP.

YaYa

Post by YaYa » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:52 am

In fact, i'm using these supports as a support to a holder for the pogo pins for the battey lol... i'll post here my design (CAD)
I can't show the result, my usual hub on 3DHubs is closed for summer holidays :?

AWildTyphlosion

Post by AWildTyphlosion » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:04 am

Can I get an .STL? :P

Also, it looks like it still has a slot for the old gameboy power port? Whats this port?
SpoilerShow

neolith

Post by neolith » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:42 am

AWildTyphlosion wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:04 am

Also, it looks like it still has a slot for the old gameboy power port? Whats this port?
SpoilerShow
Sure, I'll export an .STL file as soon as I get home from work.

The slot was used for the link cable AFAIK. It is labeled "EXT.CONNECTOR".

AWildTyphlosion

Post by AWildTyphlosion » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:05 am

neolith wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:42 am
AWildTyphlosion wrote:

SpoilerShow

Thank you :)

How hard would it be to remove it?
I'm a noob so I'll just be throwing this into tinkercad, but if its easier for you then can you remove it XD

YaYa

Post by YaYa » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:26 am

AWildTyphlosion wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:05 am
neolith wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:42 am
AWildTyphlosion wrote:

SpoilerShow

Thank you :)

How hard would it be to remove it?
I'm a noob so I'll just be throwing this into tinkercad, but if its easier for you then can you remove it XD
If you are intended to try to deal with 3D modeling, i advise you to try it your own and if stuck, to ask for help.
Do not take it bad but it's not that funny to see people asking others to do stuffs that can be done easily with just one YouTube tutorial watching and two throws at written and pictured how to's thanks to Google ;)