Cannikin's GBZ

Show off your completed Game Boy Zero, or post your build logs here!
Fleder

Re: Cannikin's GBZ

Post by Fleder » Mon May 30, 2016 5:47 am

Camble wrote:I did spot that one, Fleder. Looks like an interesting alternative, but I don't mind paying the extra money if the screen is as good as it looks. I did notice you had some trouble with the size of the driver board though ;)
It seems this alternate display does not really have 640x480 but 320x240. The seller lied.
But i will receive mine soon and test it thoroughly.

Yeah, but this trouble i had only with the VGA display.
I was able to sand down the sides of the display board and my gameboy case and now it fits.
Still, it eats up a lot of space, as you can see in the post about the VGA Screen.

Camble

Post by Camble » Mon May 30, 2016 6:20 am

Fleder wrote: It seems this alternate display does not really have 640x480 but 320x240. The seller lied.
But i will receive mine soon and test it thoroughly.

Yeah, but this trouble i had only with the VGA display.
I was able to sand down the sides of the display board and my gameboy case and now it fits.
Still, it eats up a lot of space, as you can see in the post about the VGA Screen.
That sucks. I have seen a few sellers on eBay dropping "640x480" in the title of their auctions, but the specs of the screen is a composite 320x240 LCD. Very cheeky. I've been reporting their listings. :lol:

Fleder

Post by Fleder » Mon May 30, 2016 6:34 am

Camble wrote:That sucks. I have seen a few sellers on eBay dropping "640x480" in the title of their auctions, but the specs of the screen is a composite 320x240 LCD. Very cheeky. I've been reporting their listings. :lol:
I even contacted this one and asked if it really is 640x480 and not only 320x240 and he said it was 640x480.
Let's see if this is really the case after i've got mine.

Mad_Duke

Post by Mad_Duke » Mon May 30, 2016 7:53 am

Well. It can probably do 640x480 interlaced :) But, it's always better even then to have a 320x240 progressive. Looks better.

Cannikin

Post by Cannikin » Tue May 31, 2016 10:29 am

grenade44 wrote:I currently have everything connected to the powerboost. Do you not use the power switch pins on the powerboost? Instead do i put the switch between the 5v and gnd pins on the powerboost and raspberry pi?
See my wiring diagram for how I wired up the socket and power boost.

grenade44

Post by grenade44 » Tue May 31, 2016 2:18 pm

Cannikin wrote:
grenade44 wrote:I currently have everything connected to the powerboost. Do you not use the power switch pins on the powerboost? Instead do i put the switch between the 5v and gnd pins on the powerboost and raspberry pi?
See my wiring diagram for how I wired up the socket and power boost.
Thank you, I got it working now, I also changed cables which i think helped.

Cannikin

Post by Cannikin » Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:22 pm

Kcj101 wrote:About how long does the battery last?
I did a test today: turned everything on, went into Super Mario World and just let the attract screen run with the sound up to a normal level. After about an hour I switched to Revenge of Shinobi on the Genesis and did the same thing.

I got to two hours before the red "low voltage" light came on on the PowerBoost. I shut it down at that point, but I wonder how long it could run with the low battery...

dirtybeagles

Post by dirtybeagles » Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:22 pm

[mention]cannikin[/mention]

Your hooks are perfect! I am assuming it is a 3d print?

Mad_Duke

Post by Mad_Duke » Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:40 am

Cannikin wrote:
Kcj101 wrote:About how long does the battery last?
I did a test today: turned everything on, went into Super Mario World and just let the attract screen run with the sound up to a normal level. After about an hour I switched to Revenge of Shinobi on the Genesis and did the same thing.

I got to two hours before the red "low voltage" light came on on the PowerBoost. I shut it down at that point, but I wonder how long it could run with the low battery...
That is a great result. I've got mine to work for 5.5 hours (on mine 10.000 mAh) battery. It was running Metal Slug 5 continously. Waiting for the screen to arrive to see how it will do with that because unfortunately my present screen is over 60 degrees C hot on the board so I'm guessing it's the main problem. (didn't have a chance to try just the raspberry Pi running Metal Slug without the screen (hooked to a TV)

marcushg

Post by marcushg » Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:59 pm

Cannikin, as i have the same screen as you, could you insert another picture of your build from the inside? i wonder how you did to not screw the flat cable up...
I assume you desoldered the white sockets of the screen pcb?
how did you do that thing with the glass?

thanks