TintyPi Custom Build [Completed]

Show off your completed mintyPi, or post your build logs here!
YaYa

Re: TintyPi Custom Build [Nearly Done]

Post by YaYa » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:50 pm

You achieved a really nice built ! I like it a lot because you have the same expectations as i have : making something unusual by mixing many different techniques.

Really good job !
Follow me on instagram Image

Lphillimore

Post by Lphillimore » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:27 pm

This is awesome. Love the case, too. Definitely inspired to print a custom label and use similar transfers for my plain tin. Classic Veteran!!🤘

Psy128

Post by Psy128 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:53 am

Nice work

joo32

Post by joo32 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:38 pm

Hey VeteranGamer, what tin did you use for this project?

Does it have the same dimensions as an Altoids tin?

Did you notice any issues with it?

Thank you!

VeteranGamer

Post by VeteranGamer » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:08 am

joo32 wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:38 pm
Hey VeteranGamer, what tin did you use for this project?

Does it have the same dimensions as an Altoids tin?

Did you notice any issues with it?

Thank you!
the dimensions are about on point with the altoids tin

the tin i bought was from ebay, and not from adafruit (so any issues could just be to the type/one i bought)

but with my tin the only issue was the placement of the hinges for the lid are slightly lower than the altoids tin...
this caused a slight issue with the 3d printed parts that go into the lid (with them catching)

if your going to buy wermy 3d printed parts, i would recommend that you stick to a altoids tin...
it seem like a shame to start butchering the parts wermy printed (IMHO), and you could end up messing them up

also the curvature of the tin i bought is not exactly the same as the altoids (but not a major difference either)....
my 3d printed part (had them printed locally via 3d hubs), were slightly snagging on the curves....
this could have been an issue with the tin or the 3d print (i just whittled/sanded them down a bit to get them to fit)

the blank tins are a good alternative, if you cant get hold of a altoids tin locally to where you are....
or like me, just didnt facny walking around with a altoids tin that i had no connection to before i started the build (seriously had never heard of altoids before this build)

but a blank tin build (depending how you want it to look) requires alot more work than the standard build especially if you dont want it to look like a junior school project that just cost you around $100....
but the results can be really rewarding

applying water slide decals arent that difficult (if done correctly) and the results are great

applying the vinyl is a right pain....
i've applied the vinyl (the lid design) about a half a dozen times and i still cant get it to where i want it...
its ok and will do for now.... but the curves are near immposible to get perfect

i would suggest that you buy a couple of blank tins (if thats the route you want to take) and have one for just testing out things....

good luck in which route you take...
and dont forget to post your build on here (not enough custom builds)

VeteranGamer

Re: TintyPi Custom Build [Completed]

Post by VeteranGamer » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:41 am

completed (finally)

final thoughts....

this was an interesting build, i would strongly recommend for a first time builder to just buy the kits from Helder and Wermy (it will be alot easier)
and especially dont opt for a blank tin, stick to Altoids....

as for the mintyPi/TintyPi, its not for me....
the screen however is alot better than the composite screen i used in my first GBZ build, but the form factor is way to small (for me) and you have to be really selective on what game you can play on this type of build...

this is the only mintyPi/TintyPi i'm going to build (i'm back to the GBZs, HDMI build on the way)

I've got a bit more testing to do, and maybe adjust a few things on this build....
But i'm seriously considering putting this up for sale, as I dont really see me playing with it (and dont want it just sitting around, as if its a trophy build)

whatever_guy

Post by whatever_guy » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:36 am

Very fine looking build you have achieved :)

YaYa

Post by YaYa » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:09 am

Beautifully build, as always !
Did you use the adafruit tin ? Because i'm planning to buy a stock of them to try different decorative techniques and i don't want to get annoyed with wermy's prints.

VeteranGamer

Post by VeteranGamer » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:36 am

YaYa wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:09 am
Beautifully build, as always !
Did you use the adafruit tin ? Because i'm planning to buy a stock of them to try different decorative techniques and i don't want to get annoyed with wermy's prints.
i bought mine off ebay.....

but i think the adafruit ones mine actually be a better tin to work with (it looks identical to the altoids), if you've got the 3d parts from wermy

the only issue with mine was the placement of the hinges for the lid, the adafruit one looks like its their more closer to the top of the bottom tin like the altoids tin

if your in europe, it might be worth looking at the Pi Hut, they sell adafruit stock (shipping ight be cheaper)
https://thepihut.com/products/adafruit- ... -sized-tin

YaYa

Post by YaYa » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:09 am

Thanks for the precisions ! Yes i'm in Europe and i'm already Pi Hut's customer :D