Custom Orange-Pi Portable

Want to show off your own project? Want to keep a build log of it? Post it here!
C.Egret

Re: Custom Orange-Pi Portable

Post by C.Egret » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:55 am

What is the most "suitable" model of orange pi for this project?

Zero?
One?
Lite?

RetroRocket

Post by RetroRocket » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:04 am

abrugsch wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:18 am
RetroRocket wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:31 pm
SpoilerShow
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/moq5k_BXOsw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Printer is up and running, so I should be able to test the component fit and get on with the electronics this week!
what you're looking for to embed the youtube vid is to take the video code (the bit after the /emebd/ so "moq5k_BXOsw" in this case) and wrap it in {youtube} tags like:

Code: Select all

[youtube]moq5k_BXOsw[/youtube]
giving you this:

8-)
Thanks, mate! But now you've done all the work for me :) I'll try and remember for future animations.
C.Egret wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:55 am
What is the most "suitable" model of orange pi for this project?

Zero?
One?
Lite?
I don't know about suitable...I'm using the Orange Pi PC because I want that extra push for PS1 and N64 games (which it runs pretty much flawlessly with a couple exceptions). There's enough room in the case for smaller boards, but once I get everything assembled, I'll probably rework things to slim it down a bit more...or use the space for a bigger battery.
SpoilerShow
DSC_0029.JPG
DSC_0029.JPG (8.33 MiB) Viewed 10060 times
PROGRESS!!!
Alright, so I've been hit hard with some contract work recently, but I've been able to make some strides in the case and components.
- Multiple revisions to get the shape of the back shell right for comfort
- The shoulder buttons were reworked several times and I'm pretty happy with how they feel now
- I found a fantastic, silent fan to keep the Pi comfy, so made a bulge in the back shell to make room
- Made mounting bosses for the fan to mount in front of generous grill, and for the shells to fit together
- Made slots for ports I could possible want (not sold on the ethernet port...may go with a wifi dongle instead and use the space for additional USB, or just leave blank), this includes: original screen controls, volume wheel, headphone jack, (2) USB, HDMI, Ethernet, micro-usb charging, DMG-style power switch slider and a power LED.
SpoilerShow
untitled.22.jpg
untitled.22.jpg (181.64 KiB) Viewed 10060 times
SpoilerShow
untitled.23.jpg
untitled.23.jpg (115.65 KiB) Viewed 10060 times
SpoilerShow
Fan.jpg
Fan.jpg (101.45 KiB) Viewed 10060 times

YaYa

Post by YaYa » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:18 am

Amazing ! Keep us updated please :D
Follow me on instagram Image

PierreLo

Post by PierreLo » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:00 am

Beautifull project!

Small question : why do you use a power bank battery manager instead of powerboost 1000C ?
Because probably with powerbank you won't be able to play while charging. Is it because powerboost 1000C does not output enought current for opi?

ICMF

Post by ICMF » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:39 am

Looking good.

What are the dimensions of the shell? And how big is the fan?

(I'm currently agonizing over whether I should use a Pi0 or Pi3 in my build; the extra power would be nice, but I'm worried about bulk with the fan + board)

RetroRocket

Post by RetroRocket » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:55 pm

ICMF wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:39 am
Looking good.

What are the dimensions of the shell? And how big is the fan?

(I'm currently agonizing over whether I should use a Pi0 or Pi3 in my build; the extra power would be nice, but I'm worried about bulk with the fan + board)
Thank you very much! Currently the shell overall is 210mm wide by 115mm tall by 30mm deep. I'm happy with the front, but I'll likely trim up the excess from the back once the components are assembled in place. The fan shown in the picture and CAD is just one I found at Goodwill as part of an electronics bundle for $2. It's 50mm x 10mm, but I also just bought a 40mm fan off eBay that I haven't tested yet. If it's just as quiet, I'll be adjusting the model for the built-in mounts to fit it instead. I haven't installed a heatsink on the Opi PC yet, but I'll likely do a low profile aluminum block a la N64 under the 10mm fan. Still dreading desoldering the RJ12 and USB ports...

If you're talking about a GBZ build, I'd recommend a different fan. This one is axial and a bit too thick for even the DMG. There are super slim fans that exhaust air out a discreet side port (many laptops have this) that would better serve the Pi3 needs in that tight of a space.
Last edited by RetroRocket on Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

RetroRocket

Post by RetroRocket » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:00 pm

PierreLo wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:00 am
Beautifull project!

Small question : why do you use a power bank battery manager instead of powerboost 1000C ?
Because probably with powerbank you won't be able to play while charging. Is it because powerboost 1000C does not output enought current for opi?
Thanks mate! Initially I used this charger because I didn't have a spare PB handy, but yes, the OPi PC does need more power than the 1000C provides. This board fortuitously does allow charge and play, at least through the 2A port. Additionally, I thought it could be beneficial to isolate the 2A power going to the OPi and have a second, 1A output for the fan, screen and speakers. I know the Pi runs happily off the 2A output, but I have yet to connect everything together to test the power draw.

Fortunately I just ordered a bigger Li-Po which should be a perfect fit in the left side of the case. I have thought about making a battery door and installing 18650's, but we'll see if this pans out first.

Hackmi

Post by Hackmi » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:52 am

What'd you use to design it? Fusion 360?

RetroRocket

Post by RetroRocket » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:47 pm

Hackmi wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:52 am
What'd you use to design it? Fusion 360?
I use Solidworks 2015 for the vast majority of my CAD work, professional and personal. Fusion is fine for CAD beginners or quick, rough renders, but I like having the extra power and features readily available. Plus my clients prefer it :lol:

Hackmi

Post by Hackmi » Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:01 pm

Ah...very well made designs. Love it.