Providing GBZ LED Status by using Fiber Optics

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
Popcorn
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Providing GBZ LED Status by using Fiber Optics

Post by Popcorn » Sat May 14, 2016 8:11 am

Hey guys,

I came up with this idea in my graceful shutdown thread but thought I should split it up to a separate thread.

The thought was, instead of doing more soldering and breaking out more LEDs and taking up more GPIOs, I had the thought to use the light source from the actual onboard LED status on Powerboost, and expose it through the underside of the case using Fiber Optics.

I just bought some 0.75mm end glow fiber optics spools and I'm going to give it a try.

What I'll do is glue them to Low (red), Charging (yellow), Full (green) statuses and then drill 0.75mm holes and mount them through the underside. I think the super small footprint of them will look prety slick too. I'll keep you updated on how it goes once I receive the Fiber strands and start working on it.

Can't wait!

Here's the spools I bought:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/wholesale-5-10p ... 1927053078

And here's the docs on the Powerboost LEDs
LEDs
There are four onboard LEDs.
The Blue LED sits next to the USB connector socket, and indicates the 5V output power
state.
The Red LED is next to the battery JST port and indicates when the battery voltage is below
3.2VDC (Low Battery Output)
The Yellow LED is next to the microUSB connector and indicates when the battery is being
charged
The Green LED is also next to the microUSB connector and indicates when the battery is
done charging (all full)

Fleder

Re: Providing GBZ LED Status by using Fiber Optics

Post by Fleder » Sat May 14, 2016 8:20 am

I am eager to see if this works. Great idea btw!

Rod2D2

Post by Rod2D2 » Sat May 14, 2016 9:42 am

Popcorn wrote:Hey guys,

I came up with this idea in my graceful shutdown thread but thought I should split it up to a separate thread.

The thought was, instead of doing more soldering and breaking out more LEDs and taking up more GPIOs, I had the thought to use the light source from the actual onboard LED status on Powerboost, and expose it through the underside of the case using Fiber Optics.

I just bought some 0.75mm end glow fiber optics spools and I'm going to give it a try.

What I'll do is glue them to Low (red), Charging (yellow), Full (green) statuses and then drill 0.75mm holes and mount them through the underside. I think the super small footprint of them will look prety slick too. I'll keep you updated on how it goes once I receive the Fiber strands and start working on it.

Can't wait!

Here's the spools I bought:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/wholesale-5-10p ... 1927053078

And here's the docs on the Powerboost LEDs
LEDs
There are four onboard LEDs.
The Blue LED sits next to the USB connector socket, and indicates the 5V output power
state.
The Red LED is next to the battery JST port and indicates when the battery voltage is below
3.2VDC (Low Battery Output)
The Yellow LED is next to the microUSB connector and indicates when the battery is being
charged
The Green LED is also next to the microUSB connector and indicates when the battery is
done charging (all full)
Haha that's great. I had the same idea and I stripped them off of an old light up hat I had lying around the house. I think you may need to create a small tube around the led to concentrate the light to a few fibers. I've tested it with small led lights and it works perfectly. So now it's just a matter of attaching it to the case.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.37 MiB) Viewed 9240 times

Popcorn
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Popcorn » Sat May 14, 2016 10:08 am

Awesome! Glad that this works! Yeah, I measured the LED lights and they are 2mm x 1mm and since the strands I got are 0.75mm each, I plan to put two strands on each LED. Maybe more if needed. Exciting!

Kilren

Post by Kilren » Sat May 14, 2016 5:10 pm

Popcorn wrote:Awesome! Glad that this works! Yeah, I measured the LED lights and they are 2mm x 1mm and since the strands I got are 0.75mm each, I plan to put two strands on each LED. Maybe more if needed. Exciting!
This is cool idea. What are you plans on making it visible (Where and how)?

Popcorn
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Popcorn » Sat May 14, 2016 5:26 pm

Kilren wrote:
Popcorn wrote:Awesome! Glad that this works! Yeah, I measured the LED lights and they are 2mm x 1mm and since the strands I got are 0.75mm each, I plan to put two strands on each LED. Maybe more if needed. Exciting!
This is cool idea. What are you plans on making it visible (Where and how)?
Thanks. I want to wait until I get the strands to see how bright it will be before I decide which path I want to go. But here's what I'm thinking.

If a single strand is bright enough then, what I was thinking was based almost on the original DMG. Put them on the left side of the screen but more aligned from the top of the screen, in a neat symmetrical column of three lights. Maybe space them out by just 1mm apart, since I can get away with that.

But, if I need two or more strains per LED, then I might make just a single hole and have all of the fibers terminate there, so it lights up depending on what mode it is. Maybe even use some type of small defuser/magnifier type lens on it if I go this route.

It all depends on how it works though. That's the idea so far.

Kilren

Post by Kilren » Sat May 14, 2016 5:29 pm

Popcorn wrote:But, if I need two or more strains per LED, then I might make just a single hole and have all of the fibers terminate there, so it lights up depending on what mode it is. Maybe even use some type of small defuser/magnifier type lens on it if I go this route.

It all depends on how it works though. That's the idea so far.
That lens will intensify light (if you use the right one) and would give the exterior a more professional look. I like your thoughts though, keep us posted.

Cannikin

Post by Cannikin » Sat May 14, 2016 5:57 pm

I actually had this same idea in the car this morning and came on here to post it! Looks like great minds think alike. ;)

How were you planning to glue the fiber to the LED? I've seen mentions of CA (super glue), epoxy, Elmers, rubber cement...

Popcorn
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Popcorn » Sat May 14, 2016 9:39 pm

Cannikin wrote:I actually had this same idea in the car this morning and came on here to post it! Looks like great minds think alike. ;)

How were you planning to glue the fiber to the LED? I've seen mentions of CA (super glue), epoxy, Elmers, rubber cement...
Probably just hot glue. It's non conductive and fast. I might try to wrap a heat shrink around it if I can also but those LEDs are super tiny so it might not be possible.

Popcorn
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Popcorn » Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:21 am

Had to go fishing to find this thread again. My fiber came in. This is gonna work!