[Solved] Microlipo LEDs staying on

Resolved mintyPi issues go here. Search this section first before creating a new support thread!
J-Malice

Re: Microlipo LEDs staying on

Post by J-Malice » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:12 pm

Yeah that works right away. Immediately turns on. I am just so confused if it is the switch. Why did it stop working after i repaired the wire going to the sound card? The soldering iron never even got near the switch for that quick procedure.Now I am reading no charge from the battery. Going to presume it is not putting out voltage. But when I plug the lipo charger in, both LED's come on to indicate full charge.

Edit: I'm so put off by this that I'm pretty much shelving the project for now.

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:49 pm

Just use the cheap Lipo charger in place of that adafruit one, it's cheaper and you can get 5 for a few dollars.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

J-Malice

Post by J-Malice » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:18 am

I'll check it out. I just put in an order to buy switches in bulk as well since I can get 50 of them for the same price as the adafruit one. Going to try swapping parts out and see if it helps. Though I don't even know if it's the switch now. Connected everything up without the switch and it still wouldn't boot on. So I kind of think either the charging board got fried or I have a short somewhere else. Makes me wish I had used kapton tape on the whole interior as a precaution.

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:23 am

J-Malice wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:18 am
I'll check it out. I just put in an order to buy switches in bulk as well since I can get 50 of them for the same price as the adafruit one. Going to try swapping parts out and see if it helps. Though I don't even know if it's the switch now. Connected everything up without the switch and it still wouldn't boot on. So I kind of think either the charging board got fried or I have a short somewhere else. Makes me wish I had used kapton tape on the whole interior as a precaution.
Like I mentioned earlier, and so has Helder now, switch the charge board. My micro lipo charger that I tried first crapped out too, and there was no other option.

J-Malice

Post by J-Malice » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:28 am

Yeah, I'm shopping around for similar boards. I had seen a set on Amazon that looked like the adafruit one, except it came in a set of multiple. Should have bookmarked it when I saw it.

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:30 am

J-Malice wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:28 am
Yeah, I'm shopping around for similar boards. I had seen a set on Amazon that looked like the adafruit one, except it came in a set of multiple. Should have bookmarked it when I saw it.
if you're in Canada or the US this is a good option, i've bought products here before, and they arrived quickly within Canada:

You can find cheaper ones shipped from China though. I didn't mind spending a few dollars more to have them quickly.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/TP4056-Li-ion-Ba ... Sw6YtZUVO4

J-Malice

Post by J-Malice » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:09 pm

I have another adafruit one coming in the mail. Going to order a set of those pretty soon though. I'll be making another mintypi and I'll definitely need more. Plus, always good to have backups, right?

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:38 pm

J-Malice wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:09 pm
I have another adafruit one coming in the mail. Going to order a set of those pretty soon though. I'll be making another mintypi and I'll definitely need more. Plus, always good to have backups, right?
Backups are always good!

J-Malice

Post by J-Malice » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:40 pm

Alright, new micro lipo charging board connected. System still fails to get power all the way to the raspberry pi. I read voltage coming out of the battery. There is voltage at the switch and the battery monitor board. I read 0.41V at the 5V spot on the gpio and 0.37V at the 3.3V spot on the gpio. No reading on the D/C gpio pin. I also disconnected the switch and soldered the wires to another switch and tested that out. No difference.

Anyone have any ideas?

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:12 pm

J-Malice wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:40 pm
Alright, new micro lipo charging board connected. System still fails to get power all the way to the raspberry pi. I read voltage coming out of the battery. There is voltage at the switch and the battery monitor board. I read 0.41V at the 5V spot on the gpio and 0.37V at the 3.3V spot on the gpio. No reading on the D/C gpio pin. I also disconnected the switch and soldered the wires to another switch and tested that out. No difference.

Anyone have any ideas?
Since you are not getting the proper voltage at the 5v and 3.3v spots on the pi it isn't geting proper power. I would recommended reflowing or resoldering the VCC and GND spots where the battery board is connected to the main PCB, and if needed solder a jumper wire from the GND spot to another ground, and VCC to the corresponding VCC on the pi.

like this:
SpoilerShow