6 buttons board and analog sticks

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
vnman

6 buttons board and analog sticks

Post by vnman » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:44 am

Do we need a 6 buttons board? What do you guys/gals think?

I see that Kite new board has 6 buttons option, then you have only a little space on the lower left for an analog stick.

IMHO 6 buttons is good if you play fighting games, any games that you play will benefit with 6 buttons located on the front?

YaYa

Re: 6 buttons board and analog sticks

Post by YaYa » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:59 pm

Analog would need you to go with a Pi3 or CM3 because PiZW won’t emulate 64 or PS1.
Then, fightings games are really hard to play (in my own opinion) with the D Pad.
I’m used to arcade sticks and i hardly manage to make special moves.
The 6 buttons are usefull for the system itself as save and load state is made with select L or R...
i am seriously considering to make my next build with 6 buttons to get rid of the “where do i put the back buttons” (lol) and for the outstanding look and mod.
And also for having those L and R right under my fingers to save and load easily
Follow me on instagram Image

erik_gee

Post by erik_gee » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:05 pm

I have some I made. Should be coming in the mail soon. Following with what Yaya said, it can still be pretty difficult for fighting games just because of how the dpad feels. Little hard to execute some of the specials. But I made some so I could still have the option to have l,m,h kicks and punches all on front. Plus, it's great for some of those Genesis games that utilized the 6 button pads
GBC AIO kit Sales Thread:https://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=9928

Bunch of different shoulder button kits Sales Thread:viewtopic.php?f=38&t=6233&p=63192#p63192

AIO board for DMG Sales Thread:
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=6431

6 Button Common Ground Board Sales Thread: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=4811

vnman

Post by vnman » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:29 am

I have 2 builds both with 6 buttons and an analog stick. Know which system(s) utilize the stick?, I mean systems that can run on the Pi Zero.

erik_gee

Post by erik_gee » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:39 am

vnman wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:29 am
I have 2 builds both with 6 buttons and an analog stick. Know which system(s) utilize the stick?, I mean systems that can run on the Pi Zero.
I'd say with a pi zero, you wouldn't get much out of it if you are purely using it for analog style stick. N64 and ps would be the systems that would use it in that way but neither of them are really playable in a zero. You can always set up your analog stick as a copy of your dpad though. So you can use either. Wouldn't be too difficult with a little coding
GBC AIO kit Sales Thread:https://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=9928

Bunch of different shoulder button kits Sales Thread:viewtopic.php?f=38&t=6233&p=63192#p63192

AIO board for DMG Sales Thread:
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=6431

6 Button Common Ground Board Sales Thread: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=4811

ZeroContext

Post by ZeroContext » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:08 pm

There's an option in Retropie to use Analog as D-Pad input if the emulator doesn't support it.

Fixmylife

Post by Fixmylife » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:01 am

Just for the topic of ps1 not playing well on raspberry pi zero.. some games actually run really well
My gameboy zero build has a decent amount of ps1 games on it
Also added two analog stick which were an over kill but hey live and learn

If im not mistaking the 6 button layout is just to help with the feel for playing sega genesis games.
Since most controllers dont have 6 buttons in the front retropie has sega genesis maped to only 3 a ,b and y if im not mistaking.. but you can get into the system and reprogram it to use 6 buttons for the games that require it.
As for the analog stick i notices most playstation games dont need it .. can be used for n64 if you get it to run well and is required for some psp games

Double0EK

Post by Double0EK » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:54 pm

I was contemplating on putting the 6 Button when I get the Circuit Sword by Kite. The AIO has it already prepped. But now I also want to add an analog stick.
So a 6 button, 2 shoulder buttons, D Pad and Analog Stick...
Would that be over kill? Decisions...